Speculation: Borgstrom viewing his options, signs with HIFK (Finnish league), contract includes NHL out-clause

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Wasn't he a low first round, high-risk pick?

Well hopefully this isn't just a rumour and it is true. You would hate to see him come back amid all this nasty speculation. He seems to have attitude issues or something. As is mentioned before, he should have took the 3C role and ran with it this season.

Good Riddance. :p:

Reactions: Vilam

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Didn't someone on the board with a family connection say that Borgstrom was unhappy and wanted out a while back? It's a shame though.

Also, it explains a bit more why we acquired Eetu Luo in the Hurricanes trade I guess.

Reactions: harv33173

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Obviously Borg did not impress in training camp. You know, those have a frigging purpose. It’s for the players to show that they have what it takes, in multiple ways.

Maybe Henrik is a soft millennial soy latte snowflake, and that it’s obvious in practice. Clearly he’s not DOING what would get him a spot.

Reactions: Vilam and Cold Cat

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Not going to make excuses for the kid's bad performance because that's on him, but it's not easy to get in Q's good graces as a young player.

There could be a number of reasons for him doing this. Bolting for the KHL, maybe $$$ is his top priority? Maybe the org is forcing him to play a style that doesn't suit him, trying to turn him into a Barky type, but he sees it as impossible/killing his own game and development? Maybe it could be as simple as he doesn't like playing for Kinnear. The Carolina center acquisitions doesn't help his chances and that's an excuse a number of former Panther prospects have used to jump ship out.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Not going to make excuses for the kid's bad performance because that's on him, but it's not easy to get in Q's good graces as a young player.

There could be a number of reasons for him doing this. Bolting for the KHL, maybe $$$ is his top priority? Maybe the org is forcing him to play a style that doesn't suit him, trying to turn him into a Barky type, but he sees it as impossible/killing his own game and development? Maybe it could be as simple as he doesn't like playing for Kinnear. The Carolina center acquisitions doesn't help his chances and that's an excuse a number of former Panther prospects have used to jump ship out.
I think this is it. Kinnear kind of seems like a moron.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Some of these reactions here... are we really writing off the kid after one bad year? Especially after he's progressed very well each of the year before? Especially when he was always known to be a long-term project?

It was disappointing not to see him grab the 3C spot, yes. Let's see if this year goes better.

Also don't think a year in the KHL would be the end of the world, as long as his relationship with the Panthers remains good and it's just one year.

The kid seemed so excited to be a Panther when he was drafted. Still seemed very excited not long ago. What changed?

Regardless of this rumor and even if it's completely "Borgstrom suddenly turned into a prissy primadona", IMO we should look long and hard at our AHL system. Since 2005, we have five first round playoff exits and one second round playoff exit in 2011/12; not a single playoff appearance since 2016 and we were not going to make it this year either. Six playoff appearances in 15 years for our AHL affiliate.

While some promising defencemen have recently come from Springfield, what about forwards? Since Trocheck, Tippett is the one guy who currently looks like a potential top6 player... that's awful. Heck, show me a solid top9 guy (not Trocheck) who we developed in the AHL recently. I can't think of anyone.

As badly as the Panthers need... something, our AHL system needs it just as bad, maybe more.

And I know it might be just rearranging chairs on the Titanic, but will we ever fire Kinnear?

Last edited:

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Some of these reactions here... are we really writing off the kid after one bad year? Especially after he's progressed very well each of the year before? Especially when he was always known to be a long-term project?

It was disappointing not to see him grab the 3C spot, yes. Let's see if this year goes better.

Also don't think a year in the KHL would be the end of the world, as long as his relationship with the Panthers remains good and it's just one year.

The kid seemed so excited to be a Panther when he was drafted. Still seemed very excited not long ago. What changed?

Regardless of this rumor and even if it's completely "Borgstrom suddenly turned into a prissy primadona", IMO we should look long and hard at our AHL system. Since 2005, we have five first round playoff exits and one second round playoff exit in 2011/12; not a single playoff appearance since 2016 and we were not going to make it this year either. Six playoff appearances in 15 years for our AHL affiliate.

While some promising defencemen have recently come from Springfield, what about forwards? Since Trocheck, Tippett is the one guy who currently looks like a potential top6 player... that's awful. Heck, show me a solid top9 guy (not Trocheck) who we developed in the AHL recently. I can't think of anyone.

As badly as the Panthers need... something, our AHL system needs it just as bad, maybe more.

And I know it might be just rearranging chairs on the Titanic, but will we ever fire Kinnear?

I agree 100% with your comments regarding the AHL development. We've had how many affiliate switches now? How often have the fans from affiliates complained about the lack of support from the big club? And how many times do we hear about prospects unhappy with the development situation?

This is one of the reasons why even though the roster salary was close to the cap, I still won't believe our owners spend whatever we need in order to compete. A successful team is more than just the $80M in player contracts, and a successful development system is one of those things.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
I'm saying he must have attitude issues or something. Something has to be up. He basically had the 3C spot given to him, and he didn't take it, or keep it. Do better. At some point the organization can't be blamed. He has to want to do this for himself as a career.

Come back to North Ameria playing badass hockey and make me eat crow. Bulk up, get paid.
Maybe he's just a late bloomer? Just like the draft.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
Problem is I’m not crazy about a finesse center being the 3rd line C. He’s closer to a top-6 player or bust kind of situation. He could still be serviceable on the 3rd, and playing with vatrano and Acciari who can dig in and do the dirty work for him, he could succeed. I wouldn’t completely write him off, but I don’t foresee him being a top-6 talent and would rather another option to center line 3 as we desperately need some more size and physicality/grit to our lineup which he doesn’t help.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I'm saying he must have attitude issues or something. Something has to be up. He basically had the 3C spot given to him, and he didn't take it, or keep it. Do better. At some point the organization can't be blamed. He has to want to do this for himself as a career.

Come back to North Ameria playing badass hockey and make me eat crow. Bulk up, get paid.
Maybe he's just a late bloomer? Just like the draft.
Yup, when a player doesn’t develop is it always the development program’s fault? If that’s how it goes, then why not just draft the next one alphabetically when it’s your turn to pick, because that apparently doesn’t matter.

It’s dumb to start making excuses for Henrik right now. He’s had his chance, he’s already been given several fair opportunities. Time to face the music. I know it’s hard for people to admit that yet another first rounder may be a bust, but that’s what we’re looking at.

Hurt feelings or not, Henrik has only one good option left. I hope he’s using his time wisely while on break.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Yup, when a player doesn’t develop is it always the development program’s fault? If that’s how it goes, then why not just draft the next one alphabetically when it’s your turn to pick, because that apparently doesn’t matter.

It’s dumb to start making excuses for Henrik right now. He’s had his chance, he’s already been given several fair opportunities. Time to face the music. I know it’s hard for people to admit that yet another first rounder may be a bust, but that’s what we’re looking at.

Hurt feelings or not, Henrik has only one good option left. I hope he’s using his time wisely while on break.
Henrik is a project. We all have seen the skill, he needs to gain some muscle.

Prominence Problem

Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..

I feel like any player taken by this organization in the 2016 draft is a wild card. If Rowe selected you, I will have my doubts.

Stillman has been a pleasant surprise, no doubt. Mamin was decent, but didn't stick around. Ang might work out one day.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
How do his rights work if he's playing in Europe? How long do the Panthers hold them?

Im pretty sure it’s indefinitely as long as he’s playing there but I could be wrong. He goes on our reserve list. For example I think we still own the rights to Yaroslav Kosov and Sergei Gayduchenko from 2011 and 2007 respectively.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I mean wasn’t his name written in the 3C spot with pen in training camp/start of season? Jugger and Canner were already gone. Hate to say it but he didn’t seize the opportunity. I was pulling for the kid and followed his college play. I think he has talent but not taking the 3rd center role and running with it when it was basically handed to him was a huge red flag. I’m not sure how he can be mad at the organization when your lane was practically clear but you failed to take it.

He was a non-factor out there albeit a small sample size. You know that doesn’t sit well with Q. I mean we bag on Math all the time but at least the kid is trying, he’s just plain dumb sometimes. I’m bummed because he seemed to have the tools. But he’s a soft player and we do need to beef up as it is so oh well. A small nitpick of mine was seeing him on the bench, he always looked checked out.

-ghoste

He always seemed like a milquetoast to me. I think he could still turn into an effective middle 6 center, but he seems to have a sense of entitlement. This is a big fail for Kekalainen, although I don't fully blame him. It seems like this kid just doesn't have the drive.

Reactions: JP Mick

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Henrik is a project. We all have seen the skill, he needs to gain some muscle.

Have we?

He never really showed he was close to be NHL ready.

He barely showed any flashes of a future legit NHL'er during his preseason games and first 4 regular season games this year.

If all he needed was muscle, he would have been better in the AHL. Actual good prospects that are not NHL ready and just need "muscle" at least show flashes here and there of what they'll be able to do on a regular basis in the future. Borgstrom has been invisible.

Same thing goes for Heponiemi. Can't score goals to save his life in the AHL. The kid will probably never play in the NHL.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
Have we?

He barely showed any flashes of a future legit NHL'er during his preseason games and first 4 regular season games this year.

If all he needed was muscle, he would have been better in the AHL. Actual good prospects that are not NHL ready and just need "muscle" at least show flashes here and there of what they'll be able to do on a regular basis in the future. Borgstrom has been invisible.

Same thing goes for Heponiemi. Can't score goals to save his life in the AHL. The kid will probably never play in the NHL.
Funny these guys dominated their respective leagues and then Kinnear gets them and they look like nothing.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Have we?

Borg was decent in 18-19. Nothing mi nd-blowing, but he was average for being a rookie 3rd line center. Hepo however, is just not serious about hockey. He still looks like he's 150 lbs. If he was serious, he would have changed this. He's simply too small to succeed in n.a. hockey atm.

I also agree with those saying the ahl coaching staff/our development system is a problem. That's a factor. On what level/scope, we don't fully know yet.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
We own his rights for 9 years. So until 2025. As long as we give him a qualifying offer at the end of this season.
It's easier to look by age, which in all cases (where the RFA has gone overseas and the team has retained his rights) is the year the player turns 27yo.

Henrik was drafted as an overager (doesn't matter) and he'll turn 27 in 2024.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Funny these guys dominated their respective leagues and then Kinnear gets them and they look like nothing.

It's not funny, it's just a common thing

And I'm not talking about Kinnear. But players dominating lower tier leagues and unable to translate their game in the NHL or even AHL happens all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00