Books: Book(s) you are Currently Reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
completehplcover_grande.jpg

I've been reading through the entire collection of HP Lovecraft. Someone told me to read Dagon which is like 7 or 8 pages and if you enjoyed that story then keep going. I was hooked after that. The Dunwich Horror and The Shadow over Innsmouth might be 2 of my favorite short stories ever. I may skip over his Dream Cycle stuff though as that doesn't really appeal to me.

Reactions: GB

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
completehplcover_grande.jpg

I've been reading through the entire collection of HP Lovecraft. Someone told me to read Dagon which is like 7 or 8 pages and if you enjoyed that story then keep going. I was hooked after that. The Dunwich Horror and The Shadow over Innsmouth might be 2 of my favorite short stories ever. I may skip over his Dream Cycle stuff though as that doesn't really appeal to me.

I really enjoyed The Strange Case of Charles Dexter Ward.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Any ideas for the next book club? Maybe in July?

Just throwing ideas out there :

Malcolm Lowry - Under the Volcano
James Baldwin - Just above my head
Apsley Cherry-Garrard - The Worst Journey in the World
David James Duncan - The Brothers K

Reactions: GB and kihei

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan

Can I be a nerd and suggest something nonfiction haha?

Reactions: Hippasus and stingo

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
No, they're on my list but before I start any new fantasy series I need to finish Shadows of the Apt. It's been so long I'll have to start it again. After that I'll give Wheel of Time a try.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In terms of the book of the month club, having gotten the inaugural pick, I'm okay with anything you guys agree on.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

I picked up a new copy of The Little Prince to replace my ravaged one. Also picked up a copy of All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy. I'll throw these up as suggestions.

Reactions: stingo

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
What is this about? Heard of it but never picked it up.

It's a non-linear story about soldiers trying to survive in face of the absurdity of the military during World War II. It's insanely famous and I've liked a lot of it so far, but I'm not as in love with it as people seem to be. Heller really, but really wants you to see how clever he is throughout the book and it can be very distracting. There's some fantastic humor in it and some beautiful contradictory moments which drive the point of the book home perfectly, but I thought Vonnegut was a better practioner of this type of humor and humanistic literature. Not close to done with it though, as I've been distracted for the past few days so my feelings might change.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Have two on the go.

Bill Gates bought is gifting every US graduate the book Factfulness this year , so I thought I’d check it out. Must be half decent. And need something a little lighter to break up The Brothers Karamazov.

51tvugRSHKL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

8117HB7WbvL.jpg

Reactions: GB and Amerika

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I picked up a new copy of The Little Prince to replace my ravaged one. Also picked up a copy of All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy. I'll throw these up as suggestions.

Forgot you mentioned the little prince in the last book club suggestion. I’d be down to read that, and then maybe one of the non fiction ones mentioned by Larking.

Reactions: LarKing and Amerika

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
Anyone who has read Wheel of Time, is it worth it to grab the Companion book?
There is a reference book (The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time) and a companion (The Wheel of Time Companion: The People, Places and History of the Bestselling Series). The reference book has more details about the history and characters, while the companion has a lot of everything and is quite useful for keeping track of the many, many characters in the series. While it's been a long time since I've looked at either one of them, the reference wasn't really spoiler heavy (maybe a little on the antagonists of the series) since it was released about half way through the series run (after book 7), the companion is chock full of spoilers and there are no warnings anywhere. I would only suggest either of them if you end up falling in love with the Wheel of Time universe or are the type that needs to know everything about the world as there is zero narrative in either book; it's all background information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad