Status
Not open for further replies.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
220px-ShelteringSky.jpg

Reactions: GB

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Been meaning to start the Wheel of Time for years now. Is it worth it? Seems like an intense commitment.

I would say it's worth it, It's one of the most popular series in the fantasy genre. Everyone I've talked to said Sanderson did an amazing job finishing the series after Robert Jordan died. I really enjoyed the first two books so far.

David Gemmell's Drenai series is still my favorite though.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I would say it's worth it, It's one of the most popular series in the fantasy genre. Everyone I've talked to said Sanderson did an amazing job finishing the series after Robert Jordan died. I really enjoyed the first two books so far.

David Gemmell's Drenai series is still my favorite though.

Ill think ill give it a shot in the fall. Sanderson's contributions are a good pull for me, hes one of my favs

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Just starting The Long Way Home: A Personal History of Nova Scotia, by John DeMont. I've enjoyed my brief time in Nova Scotia and want to find out more about it. I'm sort of hoping that DeMont does for Nova Scotia what Frank McCourt did for Ireland with Angela's Ashes. Good scotch sippin' book, I'm hoping.

Reactions: stingo

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Just starting The Long Way Home: A Personal History of Nova Scotia, by John DeMont. I've enjoyed my brief time in Nova Scotia and want to find out more about it. I'm sort of hoping that DeMont does for Nova Scotia what Frank McCourt did for Ireland with Angela's Ashes. Good scotch sippin' book, I'm hoping.

Oh nice. I’m from and live in N.S. and haven’t heard of this book. I’ll have to check it out.

Reactions: kihei

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Currently picking between 2 reading paths to take.

Path 1) Start Infinite Jest - long and confusing at times

Path 2) Start and fully commit to the Wheel of Time

Both I have been meaning to do for a long while. Thoughts?

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
Currently reading Contact. Great imagination, great science, great protagonist, but the book is ruined by an ineffective editor. It's easy to give up on a wholly bad book. It's a lot tougher to discard a bad book with a great book hidden inside, never to be realized.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Have any of you read Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse?
Yeah, in my distant youth as it was a book that got passed around a lot in the mid to late '60s. Harry Haller is a very memorable character, and I remember the book as a good read. Then I tackled the far more difficult The Glass Bead, which was a foolish thing to do and I got very little out of it. Probably should reread them both.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Yeah, in my distant youth as it was a book that got passed around a lot in the mid to late '60s. Harry Haller is a very memorable character, and I remember the book as a good read. Then I tackled the far more difficult The Glass Bead, which was a foolish thing to do and I got very little out of it. Probably should reread them both.

Finished it this evening. It was pretty thought provoking and a great look at depression, and loneliness. I’m going to check out more of his work.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
9781467117708.jpeg

I'm a Virginia history buff.. This is a brief read on the physical & cultural development of late 1800s Norfolk VA.

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
Never thought of Norfolk as "gilded".

Laughter..
In the book's defense, it's referring to Norfolk of 130 years ago.. Norfolk didn't really go off the rails until the early 1970s.. Crosstown busing eradicated Norfolk's middle class, and accelerated the erosion of their public schools..

Were you stationed in Norfolk (?)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Laughter..
In the book's defense, it's referring to Norfolk of 130 years ago.. Norfolk didn't really go off the rails until the early 1970s.. Crosstown busing eradicated Norfolk's middle class, and accelerated the erosion of their public schools..

Were you stationed in Norfolk (?)
Nah, I'm not military. Lived in Richmond for 12 years after high school. Met my wife there actually.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
81NOij3cRvL.jpg

I love this book so far (bit over halfway). Always been a Schwarzenegger fan but never knew exactly how successful he was at basically everything. Dude is an animal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino