Currently Reading this Gem:
7274337.jpg

Next Up:
A Dance with Dragons
The Historian

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch, who btw, is one of the best fantasy writers out there IMO.

Up next will be to finish a feast for crows so I can FINALLY read a dance with dragons.

After that who knows, I've got a backlog of around 20 fantasy books to pick from so it could be one of many lol.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Currently reading

Sky Key an EndGame Novel.

Read the first one so I may as well keep going. its ok but more geared towards teens.

Next up

Shift - Hugh Howey

Child 44 - Tom Rob Smith

The Revenant - Michael Punke

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
To answer the question: I am reading The Soul of an Octupus right now, a non-fiction work that argues that octopusses (not octopi, which is technically incorrect because it attaches a Latin suffix to a Greek prefix...or something) are a hell of a lot smarter than people give them credit for. And shape-shiftier, too: could you escape from a room through a pipe the size of a can of tennis balls? Be honest.

But my real question: Do people actually read more than one book at a time? I mean, sure, students do, but do normal people as well? (sorry, students :D) I'm a serial reader myself--I don't even try to start a second book anymore.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
My queue at the moment:

The Name of the Rose, Umberto Eco (currently reading)

up next, currently sitting in a pile:
Gomorra: A Personal Journey into the Violent International Empire of Naples' Organised Crime System, Roberto Saviano (The book origin of the film Gomorrah, wasn't a huge fan of the film, but the book is meant to be really good)
H.P Lovecraft, The Complete Fiction (I've read some of his short stories here and there, pretty excited to get into this.)
Branchie, Niccolo' Ammaniti (Very famous writer in Italy, the guy who wrote I'm not Scared)
MaddAddam, Margaret Atwood (Big fan of Atwood, I read the first two of the series and enjoyed them, so I'm finishing it off.)

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
My current reading list: Extremity Retained by Jason Netherton, and The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. I should be finishing the first of these fairly soon. It has a decent amount of pages of scenes photos and band posters as well. I like the cover too.

cropped-00001.jpg

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
But my real question: Do people actually read more than one book at a time? I mean, sure, students do, but do normal people as well? (sorry, students :D) I'm a serial reader myself--I don't even try to start a second book anymore.

I do it all the time. I think I do it because when I feel like reading, I won't necessarily be interested in reading the book I most recently read, sometimes I'm more in the mood for Moby Dick than a sports biography or a book on history, so I'm usually reading 3-4 different books at any given time.

Plus, I occasionally read on my phone while I commute to work, I'm not going to do that at home where I can read an actual, physical book.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I have bounced around a bit, and I don't like it these days for the most part. I try to keep that number to three or less but sometimes it just doesn't work out that way. I think part of the explanation is that I'm a slow reader coupled with me feeling compelled to finish a book once I've started it.

SirPaste

Jun 30, 2010
STL
Currently reading the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov. On Foundation's Edge now then one more till I'm done. It's pretty good, kinda slow though.

Up next is either Seveneves by Neal Stephenson or Road Brothers by Mark Lawrence

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
Republic of Thieves by Scott Lynch, who btw, is one of the best fantasy writers out there IMO.

Up next will be to finish a feast for crows so I can FINALLY read a dance with dragons.

After that who knows, I've got a backlog of around 20 fantasy books to pick from so it could be one of many lol.

Good luck. I've read it, and all I can say is just stick with it. It's by far his worst, and he even admits it. I'm a fairly fast reader and it took me awhile to get through that.

Luckily, I did finish and felt very accomplished afterwards. :laugh:

Currently reading

Sky Key an EndGame Novel.

Read the first one so I may as well keep going. its ok but more geared towards teens.

Next up

Shift - Hugh Howey

Child 44 - Tom Rob Smith

The Revenant - Michael Punke

I absolutely loved that series. Heard they made it into a movie or a TV series and that it sucks, although I've yet to see anything about it.

My queue at the moment:

The Name of the Rose, Umberto Eco (currently reading)

Umberto Eco is my favorite living author. I have all of his novels and some of his other works, "History of Lists", "History of Beauty", etc.

The Mysterious Flame of Queen Luona was another fantastic books of his you should check out.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Good luck. I've read it, and all I can say is just stick with it. It's by far his worst, and he even admits it. I'm a fairly fast reader and it took me awhile to get through that.

I absolutely loved that series. Heard they made it into a movie or a TV series and that it sucks, although I've yet to see anything about it.

Umberto Eco is my favorite living author. I have all of his novels and some of his other works, "History of Lists", "History of Beauty", etc.

The Mysterious Flame of Queen Luona was another fantastic books of his you should check out.

It was a movie starring Tom Hardy that came out a little while ago. Its apparently of middling quality.

Right now I'm rereading book four of the Demon Cycle series, the Skull Throne. Recommend the series to anyone who enjoys fantasy.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

All the time. I cannot do one at a time. I have tried for years and my attention wanders too much. I pretty much have to have at least one fiction and one non-fiction going regularly. Usually more.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
All the time. I cannot do one at a time. I have tried for years and my attention wanders too much. I pretty much have to have at least one fiction and one non-fiction going regularly. Usually more.

I'm a little bit the opposite. I try to start with 2 books, but my attention almost always gravitates to one over the other and I end up finishing one and completely neglecting the other.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
I usually have 2 books on the go T once but one definitely falls by the wayside a bit more than the other for stretches.

Currently reading "Story" by screenwriting legend Robert McKee

And "The Ascent of Money" by Niall Ferguson.

Two fantastic works of non fiction. Story is currently in the lead.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
To answer the question: I am reading The Soul of an Octupus right now, a non-fiction work that argues that octopusses (not octopi, which is technically incorrect because it attaches a Latin suffix to a Greek prefix...or something) are a hell of a lot smarter than people give them credit for. And shape-shiftier, too: could you escape from a room through a pipe the size of a can of tennis balls? Be honest.

Octopodes! Yes, can't mix Latin and Greek word elements. I might have to look into that book, since I also deeply admire the octopus.

Yes, I read multiple books at a time. Probably just my mental makeup but I tend to grow weary if I'm just reading one book at a time. I am still a student, but I also read on the side.

Non-academic things I'm currently reading:
The Cinema of Bela Tarr: the Circle Closes
The Melancholy of Resistance

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Non-academic things I'm currently reading:
The Cinema of Bela Tarr: the Circle Closes
The Melancholy of Resistance

How is the latter? I've only read Satantango but liked it very much. How does it compare?

(I'm assuming since you're reading about Tarr and reading Krasznahorkai that Satantango is already in your rearview mirror)

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Octopodes! Yes, can't mix Latin and Greek word elements. I might have to look into that book, since I also deeply admire the octopus.
Fun fact from The Soul of an Octopus. If a woman linked arms with her mother and she with her mother and so on down through history, the line up for our species would be roughly three hundred miles long and go back 5 million years. If an octopus did that with her mother (with so many arms to choose from, mind you) and her mother did the same and so on, the octopus line-up would cover untold thousands of miles and go back more than 500 million years. All the earth's continents, author Sy Montgomery writes, would still be "huddled in the Southern Hemisphere."

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto

I know, I've made my way through it once ago but it was when it was first released. As a result, by the time a dance with dragons came out I decided I needed to read them all again to be fresh for it. Unfortunately I've been stuck reading it off and on for the last 10+ months lol.

I have a problem where I'll binge read a bunch and burn myself out, After which I have a super difficult time getting myself to pick up a book. So motored right through GoT, CoK and SoS and am now kind of stuck on FFC lol.

Republic of Thieves has me reading again so I'm hoping I can carry that momentum over to FFC when I'm done.

KapG

Dec 2, 2008
Toronto
It was a movie starring Tom Hardy that came out a little while ago. Its apparently of middling quality.

Right now I'm rereading book four of the Demon Cycle series, the Skull Throne. Recommend the series to anyone who enjoys fantasy.

Will take a peak at this demon cycle series you speak of.

****, I still have the last 4 books of WoT to read, the last book of the Malazan series, all the standalone stories from the Malazan series by esselmont and erikson, bunch of books from Abercrombie as well.

Suppose adding another new series to the backlog won't hurt though haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->