Not open for further replies.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
richler3.jpg

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Thoughts so far? Looks like something I’d pick up.

I’m only 20% into it, and so far it’s pretty enlightening . Pollan is a great writer , I’ve read a couple of his before , so I’m getting what I want - Great, easy writing , interesting subject.

I only knew a little of the subject coming into it. Super interesting. Sounds like it’s getting pretty close for these things being prescribed to the general public in only 3 years.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
I read this a few years back and it was solid. Probably wouldve enjoyed it a lot more if it wasn’t required for a class though.

Yeah, I found it pretty inspiring. If you’re ever looking for a new book I highly recommend Henderson The Rain King by Saul Bellow. It might be up your alley. :)

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
So, finally, The Sheltering Sky. I was very tempted to begin Bowles' novel during my reading of Uncharted: Creativity and the Expert Drummer. But, no doubt wisely, I felt that if I fell off that horse in mid-gallop I would not be able to get back on it.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Yeah, I found it pretty inspiring. If you’re ever looking for a new book I highly recommend Henderson The Rain King by Saul Bellow. It might be up your alley. :)

I might grab that next if it’s at my local library. What’s it about?

Babe Ruth

Don't leave me hangin' on the telephone..
Feb 2, 2016
41008.jpg

Out of print joint I've been wanting to read for a while. Written in '92 (quincentinneal of Columbus' first voyage).. Bushman covers waxing & waning admiration for Columbus over the years. Interesting factoids from history..
Personally, I've been interested in artistic depictions of Columbus, bcuz no contemporary portrait was ever painted, and most of the paintings never resembled the physical description given by Columbus' son. Bushman includes some different portraits & explanations behind Columbus' imagery.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Everyone pick up The Stand by Stephen King.

Truly one of his best works
The Stand was really good, but I prefer IT as far as his larger novels go.

Since I'm here, I guess I'll throw in my current book: The Outsider by Stephen King. Hopefully he ends this one better than Under the Dome, which I also read through a few months ago.

As for non-SK books, I read through Changes (The Dresden Files #12) this weekend. And before that, I read through The Wise Man's Fear during my honeymoon cruise. Both are absolutely fantastic.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Almost done with The Street but thank God The Sheltering Sky was in the first box I opened when I went to my mom's. Considering how hard I had to fight and struggle to get to that first book box in my mother's storage, I probably would have given up on the reading club if the book was situated in another box. I read the first couple of chapters. It feels more promising than it had previously.

Last edited:
Reactions: kihei

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
By far my favourite series of all time. I cannot wait for Rothfuss to release the third at some point.....Hopefully it comes sooner than later
It very rapidly shot up my list of favorite series once I started The Wise Man’s Fear. I liked the first book well enough, but Rothfuss adds so much more to his world and to Kvothe’s story in the second one that I became enamored with the series. I have yet to read The Slow Regard of Silent Things, though. Absolutely agreed with your last point - if Rothfuss ever releases the third book, I’m really hoping it’s soon. Or at least tell us if we have our hopes up for nothing.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
By the way, @kihei, have you ever watched the Bertolucci adaptation of The Sheltering Sky? If so, is it worth a look? I would think that the book would be ripe for a visual feast. Besides, I really like John Malkovich.

Last edited:

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Just finishing off this:
9200000030474121.jpg

Tomorrow I'll have basically nothing to do except read for 6 hours. Hopefully I can slog through the last 100 pages or so of Blood & Guts at High School. After that I'll be starting The Sheltering Sky

Reactions: stingo and kihei

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
By the way, @kihei, have you ever watched the Bertolucci adaptation of The Sheltering Sky? If so, is it worth a look? I would think that the book would be ripe for a visual feast. Besides, I really like John Malkovich.
Really frustrating movie. Bertolucci (or more likely his cinematographer, the great Vittorio Storaro) provides some beautiful images and every now and then Bertolucci momentarily captures the elusive tone, but not often enough. It is sort of like Bertolucci kind of gets it, but not really--a miss that is really a miss. His movie is all on the surface, simplistically so but not necessarily coherently so, whereas the novel goes way beneath that and stays there. John Malkovich, with his patented bitter intelligence, is a good fit for Port, but Debra Winger as Kit looks too much like a University of Wisconsin cheerleader who found herself on the set of the wrong movie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amerika

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Fortnite has slowed down my reading this week, but once I finish this Michael Pollan book I’ll read the sheltering sky. Probably Sunday.

Reactions: Amerika

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Really frustrating movie. Bertolucci (or more likely his cinematographer, the great Vittorio Storaro) provides some beautiful images and every now and then Bertolucci momentarily captures the elusive tone, but not often enough. It is sort of like Bertolucci kind of gets it, but not really--a miss that is really a miss. His movie is all on the surface, simplistically so but not necessarily coherently so, whereas the novel goes way beneath that and stays there. John Malkovich, with his patented bitter intelligence, is a good fit for Port, but Debra Winger as Kit looks too much like a University of Wisconsin cheerleader who found herself on the set of the wrong movie.

Thanks. I'll probably still check it out within the next week.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
It very rapidly shot up my list of favorite series once I started The Wise Man’s Fear. I liked the first book well enough, but Rothfuss adds so much more to his world and to Kvothe’s story in the second one that I became enamored with the series. I have yet to read The Slow Regard of Silent Things, though. Absolutely agreed with your last point - if Rothfuss ever releases the third book, I’m really hoping it’s soon. Or at least tell us if we have our hopes up for nothing.

The Slow Regard of Silent Things is well worth picking up. Its strange and very different but fun and really gives the readers a better understanding of Auri's life

Reactions: Steve Varlamov

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Wow, you weren't kidding. Watched the first half and there's some absolutely terrible editing mistakes - certain scenes are cut short way, way too early - and Debra Winger's acting is worthy of a conceited high-school girl. Most of the acting outside of Malkovich is brutal. There's some beautifully intimate shots which bring joy in a voyeuristic sense as well as certain gorgeous uses of color but the book's essence is completely lost. I'll finish it but frustrating is the most precise word to use for it, since it is competent in a way. Also, whoever thought of using Paul Bowles in the movie should be ashamed of that distracting decision. Including Bowles himself. He should have known better.

Last edited:

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Finished The Outsider by Stephen King last night. It's definitely one of his better more recent work. The "Stephen King-ness" takes a little bit to get going, but once it hits, it hits pretty hard. It was a fun read, and one that I recommend to anyone looking for a more modern take from King on mystery/horror. It probably won't stick with me the same way something like IT or The Stand has, but to be fair, that's a lot for me to ask for. A solid effort from King, and one that deserves to be eventually read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad