Booing of PK Subban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I don't see what the big deal is that Pens fans hold a grudge over it. I don't recall anybody booing him before that happened. If the reverse were true and one of the Pens cut Subban with a skate Montreal fans would probably boo that player for a long time. Matt Cooke cut Karlsson with a skate and the team owner was ready to open a forensic investigation. Lucic running into Miller was a huge deal to Sabres fans. Habs fans don't like Kreider for running into Price. Pens fans are hardly the only ones to hold grudges over something that other fans would view as no big deal.

Not necessarily because Habs fans stopped booing Staal for his knee on knee on Markov.

Also, Cooke is a known commodity with the longest rap sheet in the NHL. Subban hasn't gotten a suspension. Not really the same thing.

Listen, I get the booing. That's fine. It's the insinuation that it was on purpose that bothers me. Grudges should die down.

greatwhitemark1117*

The Pens lead local ratings for US NHL teams. You have a much smaller metro population(2.3 million) than Montreal(4 million) and therefore don't have more local viewers than us. In percentage maybe. Oh, and don't pat yourself on the back, you have Malkin and Crosby and used to have Mario and Jagr. Your ratings would be pitiful just as they used to be without them.

*This was a response to someones post who got deleted for insulting a poster.

Pittsburgh Penguins NHL regular season games averaged a 7.55 rating on Root Sports Pittsburgh this season, down 40% from last year’s shortened season (12.66) and down 6% from the 2011-12 season (8.03). Despite the huge drop in ratings, the Penguins led all NHL teams in local ratings for the fifth straight season. (Root Sports)

HMMMMMMmmmmmm...... Doesnt seem to say US ratings..

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Pittsburgh Penguins NHL regular season games averaged a 7.55 rating on Root Sports Pittsburgh this season, down 40% from last year’s shortened season (12.66) and down 6% from the 2011-12 season (8.03). Despite the huge drop in ratings, the Penguins led all NHL teams in local ratings for the fifth straight season. (Root Sports)

HMMMMMMmmmmmm...... Doesnt seem to say US ratings..

Except it says US here:

http://pittsburgh.rootsports.com/20...eams-in-ratings-for-fifth-consecutive-season/

And here:

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=668593

And here:

http://sportsvideo.org/main/blog/20...ittsburgh-riding-high-with-penguins-coverage/

Nielsen doesn't directly track Canadian coverage, they do it partnership in Numeris. It's even more complicated for Montreal, because their viewers are split between the English coverage and French coverage.

jeangauthier

Oct 10, 2007
Montreal,Canada
This.

Also, I find it quite funny when 21,000 Canadien fans stand up in unison looking for a penalty when one of their players trip over the blue line. Like having 21,000 Claude Juliens in the crowd!!!

Huh? You don't say........never seen that in my 250-300 appearances there........didn't know you were a season ticket holder........

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
PK simply has too much personality for the NHL, sadly. In the NFL he would be a star like Odell Beckam or something.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Subban is a troll so it shouldn't be a surprise. What I don't get is the random booing of Phaneuf. It happened in Winnipeg the other night and I have no idea why.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
I generally don't care that it happens, to be honest neither does he I think, but then we play the Penguins and I'm thinking, Why are they booing him? What their reason? It's generally a rival thing and Montreal-Pittsburgh is not something I would call a rivalry.

My favourite part. I mean, the part immediately before was good, too- given that you cared so little as to start a thread.

Sorry, I never heard anyone boo Price.

He said player. You know goalies don't count.:sarcasm:

Habs fans boo Crosby all the time. Just booing the other team's star player.

Exactly.

Yeah but Subban got the last laugh

https://vine.co/v/OwOHUd6Kl1M

Seriously, what was he trying to accomplish there?

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Some people in the balcony don't exactly have falcon vision. I know for a fact I can't read the names unless I'm right on the ice.

Sounds like you need glasses. Nothing to be ashamed of. I wear glasses and can read the names fine from the nosebleeds. lol

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Sounds like you need glasses. Nothing to be ashamed of. I wear glasses and can read the names fine from the nosebleeds. lol

It's not racist to admit that he's easy to identify because he's black. I see him in a position where I can't see his number and I know it's him. It's not a secret that the majority of the NHL is white so it's obvious when he's on the ice. Similar to how I can identify white players on my favorite NBA team.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
star player + easy to recognize due to skin colour, thats why hes booed in many non-traditional hockey markets

I'm impressed the Pens fans in attendance know who players on other teams are.

Obviously, because in Pittsburgh no one knows anything about the game and they just go to boo minority players. Duh! It get really noisy at Heinz Field, you should hear the booing there!

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Star players get boo'ed in lots of arenas. I thought this was common knowledge.

Also, to the people suggesting he gets booed by race, that doesn't happen as often as you think, and I haven't heard it when I watch Pens broadcasts.

habscup*

It's not racist to admit that he's easy to identify because he's black. I see him in a position where I can't see his number and I know it's him. It's not a secret that the majority of the NHL is white so it's obvious when he's on the ice. Similar to how I can identify white players on my favorite NBA team.

I'm greatly offended and apalled by this comment. Mods please take care of this guy.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Imagine if the Pens still had Cooke and they went into Ottawa.

Do you guys/gals still put on the Hate for Cooke when he comes in with the Wild?

Some stuff leaves bad taste in fans mouths.

For me, it was all the above. Staal foot slice, constant slew foots and hamming it up.

Love him as a player playing hockey. Need more of him. He's not as bad as before. That's what happens, they grow up.

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
It's cause he's black, isn't that the obvious bait of this particular topic? Here to help.

Better question is why does anything involving Pittsburgh generate content on this site when all you people complain about is that particular team being shoved down your throats? How hypocritically masochistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad