Booing of PK Subban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
Because he's a star player.
There's your answer. Nothing more. I was never a star player on an NHL level but honestly, I loved being booed by opposing fans. It means you have an impact on the team and their fans. I absolutely loved being the bad guy. It's when your home fans boo that you have a problem.

Don't worry. It doesn't bother PK. He feeds off it.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Why does any teams boo star players from other teams?

The teams I notice that don't do this are(at least for Ovechkin) are Boston, Chicago, Detroit, LA, and New Jersey. Notice a correlation?

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
As a pens fan, I haven't heard pittsburgh fans cite the Staal injury for boo'ing Subban.

I think it's mainly just because his flamboyant personality rubs some people the wrong way.

Personally, I like him as a player and as a guy (from what I've seen in interviews and a mini-documentary about his family).

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
They've booed him since he sliced Staal's foot open in the playoffs. Not really sure why this singles out Pens fans, at least they're booing him for a reason (whether you find it legitimate or not).

Why do Montreal fans boo everyone and everything?

Jerk Store*

He's a talented, polarizing player who injured one of their players a few years ago. I'm sure PK doesnt lose sleep over it.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Most arenas boo the opposing team's best player. Ovechkin probably gets booed in 29 arenas.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
He stepped on Staal's foot (probably by accident), effectively ending our season. Pens fans haven't forgotten this and probably won't, if Graves is any indication.

Come on, he was your third line center. If you can't survive that you don't deserve to win.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I just looked up the Staal injury since I didn't remember it at all. People say that was intentional? Okie dokie.

He gets booed since he's a superstar player who plays on a team that most fans hate. Who cares?

He's great.

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 43-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
What he said sounds fine. He's stating that Subban is a star player---->star players get booed

Since he is easier to pick out of a rink full of skaters than a guy like Stamkos, he gets booed more.

It couldn't be the big "SUBBAN" printed on his jersey?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I generally don't care that it happens, to be honest neither does he I think, but then we play the Penguins and I'm thinking, Why are they booing him? What their reason? It's generally a rival thing and Montreal-Pittsburgh is not something I would call a rivalry.

Habs fans boo Crosby all the time. Just booing the other team's star player.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
As a Pens fan I can tell you 100% it started from the 2010 playoffs when Subban went PK Scissorskates on Staal and was constantly jawing during and after the play with Crosby. The Pens team that year was expected to go to the cup and between Halak stoning the Pens and Subban taking Staal out, the Pens were done. PK was the ultimate difference maker in that series after Halak.

Pens fans have long memories. We've done the same **** to Adam Graves back in the day after his slash on Lemieux. They boo the hell out of Ovechkin every time he touches the puck too. Let me guess, the ******* here that said we boo because of racism, it's racist to boo Ovy too?

I used to hate Subban a few years ago. I thought he was immature. Couldn't stand the slew footing. I think he's GROWN a ton over the years and now he's one of my favorite players in the league. The NHL is much better for having PK in it, his personality and charisma (that security guard skit he did for the kids, etc), and his play. He's a superstar and I'd take him on my team ANY day of the week.

Just like Ovechkin, he gets booed because he's an impact player, had a few incidents with our team, and has gotten under the skin of our stars. Nothing more. Nothing less. He's a great player and seems like he has a great heart for the kids.

I'm a STH for the Pens but I wouldn't have missed the game last night for the world. I really went to see Subban. Love watching him play.

greatwhitemark1117*

They've booed him since he sliced Staal's foot open in the playoffs. Not really sure why this singles out Pens fans, at least they're booing him for a reason (whether you find it legitimate or not).

Why do Montreal fans boo everyone and everything?

This.

Also, I find it quite funny when 21,000 Canadien fans stand up in unison looking for a penalty when one of their players trip over the blue line. Like having 21,000 Claude Juliens in the crowd!!!

Oct 18, 2011
I generally don't care that it happens, to be honest neither does he I think, but then we play the Penguins and I'm thinking, Why are they booing him? What their reason? It's generally a rival thing and Montreal-Pittsburgh is not something I would call a rivalry.
they boo him because they don't like him, what's the problem with that?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I didn't even realize this Subban - Staal "incident" was a thing to some Pens fans.

Subban gets booed in plenty of arenas. Don't have to look much further than the fact fans tend to boo the other teams' star players.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
This.

Also, I find it quite funny when 21,000 Canadien fans stand up in unison looking for a penalty when one of their players trip over the blue line. Like having 21,000 Claude Juliens in the crowd!!!

Right, because only Habs fans do that. Not Leafs fans, not Pens fans, not Bruins fans, just Habs fans.

And considering some Pens fans still seem to be griping on that accidental cut, it should tell you everything you need to know about fan overreaction in other markets.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
And considering some Pens fans still seem to be griping on that accidental cut, it should tell you everything you need to know about fan overreaction in other markets.

Ask Ottawa fans if they've forgotten Cooke cutting Karlsson's heel and if they'll ever stop booing Cooke.

It happens. Fans have long memories.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
I didn't even realize this Subban - Staal "incident" was a thing to some Pens fans.

Subban gets booed in plenty of arenas. Don't have to look much further than the fact fans tend to boo the other teams' star players.

I don't see what the big deal is that Pens fans hold a grudge over it. I don't recall anybody booing him before that happened. If the reverse were true and one of the Pens cut Subban with a skate Montreal fans would probably boo that player for a long time. Matt Cooke cut Karlsson with a skate and the team owner was ready to open a forensic investigation. Lucic running into Miller was a huge deal to Sabres fans. Habs fans don't like Kreider for running into Price. Pens fans are hardly the only ones to hold grudges over something that other fans would view as no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->