Booing of PK Subban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockeyfan2390

Nov 19, 2010
Kansas City, MO
He's one of Montreal's best players and also knows how to get under the skin of the opposition.

He was also known as a yapper in his rookie year before he established himself.......amirite?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Right, because only Habs fans do that. Not Leafs fans, not Pens fans, not Bruins fans, just Habs fans.

And considering some Pens fans still seem to be griping on that accidental cut, it should tell you everything you need to know about fan overreaction in other markets.

As a habs fan, even I must admit that no other fanbase whines about penalties as much as we do. It's embarrassing lol

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
sounds like when pronger would get booed in basically every opposing NHL building when he played for the ducks

1. because he's a star player and 2. the opposing fans probably see other fanbases booing him so they decide to join in on the fun

Knotty Moog

May 12, 2012
Los Angeles
sounds like when pronger would get booed in basically every opposing NHL building when he played for the ducks

1. because he's a star player and 2. the opposing fans probably see other fanbases booing him so they decide to join in on the fun

Yup... And we have a site like this to let us know who we should and should't root for! Being a live spectator is too easy these days

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I generally don't care that it happens, to be honest neither does he I think, but then we play the Penguins and I'm thinking, Why are they booing him? What their reason? It's generally a rival thing and Montreal-Pittsburgh is not something I would call a rivalry.

Maybe the Staal thing, maybe his diving and slew foot antics from before or every now and then, maybe you do care hence this thread because if you didn't, it wouldn't exist.

I could ask the same about Crosby in any given arena.

But, really...who cares?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Wait, Chris "Elbows" Pronger was booed for no good reason?

Well, I'll be a T-Rex's Butler, you must be yanking my chain.

The Gourmet

Potage Le Magnifique
Aug 30, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
The fact that he's black definitely is part of the reason.

Not necessarily because of the colour of his skin, but because it makes him stand out.

Chara wouldn't get booed nearly as much if he was 8 inches shorter but still a Norris-calibre d-man.

Unique appearance + skill + cockiness = boo

Juggernaut27

#CatsHasCupNow?
Apr 29, 2014
Vancouver
Highly enjoyable thread. A few points, if I may.

A) Potvin sucks! Potvin sucks!

B) Denis Potvin retired in 1988

C) if the Leafs fans are seriously asking why Phanuef gets booed I, I have no words...

That is all.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Don't forget, Michele Beadle on Sports Nation alleged a few weeks ago, that he farts on goalies while screening them.

If true, he is the most vile of vile and deserving of all the booing in the world.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
Don't forget, Michele Beadle on Sports Nation alleged a few weeks ago, that he farts on goalies while screening them.

If true, he is the most vile of vile and deserving of all the booing in the world.

Per the tweets of Arpon Basu:

"P.K. Subban just admitted he intentionally farts in front of the net to annoy the opposition. I'm sure Carey Price must love that.

Subban said his pre-game coffee acts as a catalyst in his stomach, then he holds it in until game time so he can fart on the ice. Great."

linky

I really can't watch his celebration without thinking of that anymore.

Oh, and people boo him cause he's a Cowboys fan :sarcasm:

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
You have a much smaller metro population(2.3 million) than Montreal(4 million) and therefore don't have more local viewers than us. In percentage maybe. Oh, and don't pat yourself on the back, you have Malkin and Crosby and used to have Mario and Jagr. Your ratings would be pitiful just as they used to be without them.

*This was a response to someones post who got deleted for insulting a poster.

and Montreal dwarfs in comparison to Toronto, so what's your point?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Jordan Staal. /thread

This

brk-news2.jpg

"We are hearing reports that an opposing teams best player has just been booed by home team fans. This is a fresh breaking story so please stay with us through the hour for updates."

And this.

Subban effectively ended our playoff run by stepping on Jordan Staal's foot and he's a star player for a competitive Eastern Conference team.

Frankly I love the guy and enough time has passed that I wouldn't boo him (though much of that deals with how he's trolled Boston), but I don't blame the fans that continue to hold a grudge from that 2010 series. The Staal incident may have been intentional or not, but it's hard to excuse him for that in addition to the multiple slewfoots in that series. He's matured greatly since then, but seriously...he was a **** back then.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
So here's the thing about the Subban booing and why I think there are "half-truths" in all the arguments here. The booing of star players is a factor yes but when you look at arenas around the league, they don't boo star players as consistently as they do Subban. In Toronto, we don't boo Crosby/Malkin; when I watch say, the Devils - they're not booing Stamkos, etc. It's easy to sit here and say, "oh - he's a star player so he gets boo'd!" but it doesn't happen consistently around the league enough to consider it a sole reason. Half-truth #1.

Now to the above, while I don't see booing star players a consistent thing in the league, its not that fans don't want to boo star players, it's that they don't know who they are when watching the game live. We forget there are MANY casual fans in arenas and while they may know players by name, they won't know numbers and they can't exactly see name plates. This is where the race thing comes into play. A casual fan looks onto the ice and sees a bunch of white dudes with numbers, they don't know when the star player who they want to boo has the puck so they sit quietly. Enter P.K. Subban. Everyone knows him by name, and they know he's a star, and they want to boo him because he is the star. You're playing the Montreal Canadiens and he is the only black player on the ice. Casual fan looks onto the ice and sees the one black player on the ice has the puck - it's obviously P.K. Subban, they don't need a number or nameplate - cue the boos.

tl;dr - it is fans wanting to simply boo star players but the fact that Subban is more recognizable due to him being the only black player on the Habs makes him get booed more often because casual fans in arenas can easily pick him out.

feffan

Sep 9, 2010
Malmö
staal hasn't been a pen in 3 years.

See my and Juggernaut27s response...

Highly enjoyable thread. A few points, if I may.

A) Potvin sucks! Potvin sucks!

B) Denis Potvin retired in 1988

C) if the Leafs fans are seriously asking why Phanuef gets booed I, I have no words...

That is all.

Came in to post this as well. Ulf Nilsson hasn´t been a Ranger for 31 years and his injury happened 35 years ago. And as you say, Potvins last game was in 1988. And at the Madison Square Garden you´ll still hear "Potvin sucks!!!" at least once a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad