Recalled/Assigned: Boo Nieves to NYR

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Like someone mentioned above...Nice game, build on it. Really scratch my head and any mention of him in a top 6 role.

The Positives:
Size
skating

The Negatives:
He has hands like feet

The Uncertain:
Is he's cerebral enough to stick as a defensive minded forward

The Alternative:
If Boo could play a physical game everytime he steps on the ice, his size and skating will get more notice. In this #Relentless system of Quinn, #24 can write his own ticket. Problem is, I haven't seen him play with that edge consistently. Maybe small sample sizes. But if he doesn't contour his game a bit, his skill level is just not going to keep him in the show. He needs to Adapt. Maybe someone can get him a copy of "Who moved my Cheese?"

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
After giving it some thought, I agree with Bern that we should put Nieves at 1C. Here's my thought process:

- The Rangers aren't winning this year, so they should be doing everything they can to lose
- Putting Zibanejad and Kreider together on the top line has been helping us WIN - which is not good for the future of this team
- Is Nieves a part of the future of this team? It's hard to say without seeing what he can do with better teammates and real ice time
- So put Nieves on the top line with Kreider for a few games - chances are that we lose (which is good for the Rangers) and maybe we get an idea of what Nieves can do in a bigger role (which is good for the Rangers to know)

So either way it goes - the result is good for the Rangers. I see no faults in Bern's logic.

If that’s the case, then here’s what I propose for the rest of the year:

Staal-Georgiev-Fast
Chytil-Andersson-Howden
Pionk-Claesson-Kreider
ADA-Boo-Skjei

Zibby-Lundqvist
Zucc-Hayes
Shatty-Buch

Valiquette

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Like someone mentioned above...Nice game, build on it. Really scratch my head and any mention of him in a top 6 role.

The Positives:
Size
skating

The Negatives:
He has hands like feet

The Uncertain:
Is he's cerebral enough to stick as a defensive minded forward

The Alternative:
If Boo could play a physical game everytime he steps on the ice, his size and skating will get more notice. In this #Relentless system of Quinn, #24 can write his own ticket. Problem is, I haven't seen him play with that edge consistently. Maybe small sample sizes. But if he doesn't contour his game a bit, his skill level is just not going to keep him in the show. He needs to Adapt. Maybe someone can get him a copy of "Who moved my Cheese?"

Boo's a great guy and very easy to root for, but to me it's clear that unless he carves out a niche for himself as a 4th liner... he's not going to make it in the league. I don't see the hockey sense there, this is a guy who has passed on wide open nets into defenders feet more than once.

The big question is, is he afraid of contact? Those concussions can scare a guy, and Boo's had his share of brain injuries.

I absolutely agree with what you put down. But I just don't see it happening.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Yes this would be true in that I would be more than justified, I would be fully effin entitled.

However, the rule here is most of the base and I are not in as much disagreement as would seem to some.

I have put forth an idea, based on what I consider a sound premise.
No guarantee, but a sound premise.

The great majority of the board -- in many cases wishing well --- does not share my optimism.

That is both my right and theirs.

But they do recognize there is a premise. I COULD BE right. They just disagree as to %s on that.

Where I draw the line is not a polite dispute over that premise.
Where I draw the line is I insist everyone admit that it costs the Rangers nothing to try, and give this kid a LEGIT shot w/Kreids.
So, esp since we have a 2nd invested in him, try it.

And I'm pleased to say, kudos to you all [save a few exceptions], that there is no consensus against that.

And when it suits Quinn, whether or not he reads this, it is my hope he will get around to trying it, and if there is adequate trial duration and conditions, then we will know.

----

Of course, there are always a few exceptions to every rule.
I am not persecuted by the great majority.
I am pleased to own my often outside the box comments, and accept lumps for those which did not work out.
I'll take my %s.

However, there are a couple of guys here who are total naysayers, who would argue with me if I said water was wet.
Even if it costs the Rangers, they would love to have another stone to throw at me.

I won't elaborate on that for now; he who laughs last...
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with your assessments and opinions......whether they become true or not. Yes, it is your right and commend the obvious work you put into it.

Im sure you based it on speed as the main factor here. Once in a while, a talented kid gets buried for reasons unknown. Put them with "high quality" players, a few goals and assists here or there and confidence grows high. An, " I can do this type moment".

Pretty sure Namestnikov was a 4th liner at one time.......place him with Stamkos and Kucherov and waaaalaaah! Okay, i am sure its not as simple and easy like i made it out to be....but, yes its a possibility and that is my point.

So, kudos to you and i am down with giving it a try for longer than a game.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
interesting tidbit.

sundays game vs vegas had two kids playing that both attended the same school here in upstate ny.

baldwinsville HS about 10 miles west of me.

nieves and alex tuch.

interestingly, X islander and sabres and leaf timmy connollys school as well.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
81mpTbJ3BgL._SL1400_.jpg

Tupac is gone
To borrow a line from legendary Elton John, "I'm Still Standin"

btw, what significant thing have you done with your life?

will you try to change things,
with the power that you have
the power of a million new ideas?
Robert Lamm, Chicago

and oh yeah,
WATER IS WET

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Boo's a great guy and very easy to root for, but to me it's clear that unless he carves out a niche for himself as a 4th liner... he's not going to make it in the league. I don't see the hockey sense there, this is a guy who has passed on wide open nets into defenders feet more than once.

The big question is, is he afraid of contact? Those concussions can scare a guy, and Boo's had his share of brain injuries.

I absolutely agree with what you put down. But I just don't see it happening.

I concur in part with your comments.
Concussions, etc. -- yes, this is a significant unknown risk factor. And while we think he appears ok/good atm, and presumably team does also or they would not have cleared him.
And yes, don't have to be a doctor to know that having already had one/multiple concussions, etc sets up increased likelihood of relapse or you get one that takes you out permanently.
Those are legit factors already established running in the background.
We can't change them we can only hope for the best and proceed accordingly.
Whether Boo graduates to top shelf, is a 4th liner, anywhere in between, or craps out entirely, the injury factor/risk is already what it is and has no further consideration unless/until/if there is further injury.

As to subsequent ?, also valid, is he afraid of contact?
Watching from what TV gives and not seeing first hand at a game live and able to focus on him exclusively, I cannot speak more authoritatively, nor do I claim to be in his mind. That said, I am not seeing him shy away from contact. I think he is turning on speed when in the clear, but being careful both to not get caught or abandon defensive assignment. I think he is trying to think his way into situations, not responding purely instinctively but not overthinking things either. In short I think he is trying to acclimate. This is a gradual process and it is early but as to early returns it is so good so far.
Thus, if his bell gets rung big time the wrong way, he may go buh-bye, but at this point, it looks like there is more reason to be optimistic.

Now, as to"
"...unless he carves out a niche for himself as a 4th liner... he's not going to make it in the league. I don't see the hockey sense there..."

This is not an entirely unfounded or unwarranted perspective, however I ask you to recognize Boo is a work in progress and while you may indeed be right, I don't see it profitable to jump to that conclusion.

I would also ask you to recognize that general hockey sense overall yields to individual instances of chemistry.

Chemistry wise, Boo may only click to x degree with most on average, more with a few others, less with a different few. However, remember I am specifically saying the experiment requires a legit shot to work with Kreider, due to the speed etc., synergy factor.
It is entirely possible Nieves is 'ordinary' when comboed with most, but is a most useful, complementary cog coupled with Kreider. Notice I did not say Nieves would be extraordinary with Kreider. THAT is a reach pushing into an overreach at present.

I am not pushing Nieves into all star status, I am just saying on paper, he looks like a complementary fit, can't miss as to being productive with Kreider [how productive remains to be seen]. If they get the correct RW, that would be a further +.

Zib unfortunately likely needs to be moved so we avoid any issue with pending NMC which my only concern is as to upcoming expansion draft.
Hayes hopefully does a chapman, goes away and returns

Assuming Kreider is 1LW, basis of what constitutes first line, if Boo can match as a stop gap/useful cog, it will push returning Hayes, Chytil, Howden down until one of the latter 2 or Kravtsov emerges as superior outright 1C choice.

All of this is good basis to conduct my experiment.

You may be right, but at this point I would gamble the chemistry w/Kreider [given adequate time to succeed] would overcome other scenarios w/less chemistry.

Thank you for the constructive comment.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Taking it one step further, and saying the chemistry of Nieves is SO good that it gets to another level and he becomes a legit 1C that actually drives the play on his own, THAT is too much, THAT -- while theoretically possible --- is pushing it.
But what I have said, as to a functional plug/stopgap, that was not excessive.

This is very reasonable. Oftentimes though even when you say something reasonable your rationale will be choc full of unreasonable, really out there stuff.

My only real problem with your posts is that too often you throw in little bits that make me think this is too much a pride/ego thing. Puts me off. For example

It's not random.
Concede that much makes sense.

What I have proposed is not an excessive reach.

Here for example, you need to demand that someone acquiesces. You flat out tell them to "concede".

You assert that what you said makes sense and you do it seemingly trying to get people to just say you're right about SOMETHING. Most people don't do that or when they do it is infrequently

Yes this would be true in that I would be more than justified, I would be fully effin entitled.

But they do recognize there is a premise. I COULD BE right. They just disagree as to %s on that.

Where I draw the line is I insist everyone admit that it costs the Rangers nothing to try, and give this kid a LEGIT shot w/Kreids.

I am not persecuted by the great majority.

However, there are a couple of guys here who are total naysayers, who would argue with me if I said water was wet.
Even if it costs the Rangers, they would love to have another stone to throw at me.

I won't elaborate on that for now; he who laughs last...

Like this entire thing is a monument to ego. You want to serve crow to people. You have to emphasize just the possibility that you COULD be right. You literally say "everyone must admit". In fact you INSIST that people must admit it.

Then you talk about persecution? You setup this ego appeasing narrative that people are lining up against you. Why would they? Bc you're so important?

You claim here that people apparently want the NYR organization to be hurt by a prospect failure because they're so focused on you.

Soooooo much of this just reeks of someone who demands attention and appeasement. Idk about other people but sometimes I've been harsh in my reactions to your posts and THIS is why.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
Has there ever in the history of the NHL been a career AHLer/4th line tweener that was catapulted to first line stardom because of his chemistry with another player?

Two subsequent coaches have had the guy pencilled in as 4C at best. Are Quinn and AV both so utterly blind to his talent? Or is it more likely that Nieves is right where he's supposed to be?

Mugless

Aug 26, 2004
I don't want him out their wasting time when much better players should be out there.
Like Staal? :)

If you can put five forwards on the PP, you can use three forwards in OT. Give him a chance to rush one time and see what happens. That's a lot of speed and a lot of open ice.

Reactions: bernmeister

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't want him out their wasting time when much better players should be out there.
I obviously agree that there are better players that could take a shift. However, his speed and ability to carry the puck are well-suited to the 3-on-3. He may be a lesser player but that could conceivably be a situation where he'd excel. Like if we had Erik Christensen again, he'd be worth a shot in the OT just because he had such a high level of skill. Generally shitty player but I think he could do really well there.

Boo shouldn't be starting the OT but I think it would be interesting to throw him out there after a few minutes, when the regulars on the other team are wearing down. The 3-on-3 is just such a different thing.

Reactions: Mugless

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Seems like a solid 4th liner. Not elite but having him, Strome, and Lias on the 4th line is why I don't think this team is as bad as some think. Teams often have AHL fodder on their 4th line, maybe not as much nowadays, but it used to be that way.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Nieves could become a very useful player but I really don't see his upside as above 4th line. He has less offensive creativity than Jesper Fast but if he were to model the rest of his game after Fast he'd be doing himself a big favor as he's bigger, stronger and faster than Fast. (not unconscious of the pun by the way) Getting in on the forecheck hard, playing physical, being defensively responsible, chipping in offense when he can, killing penalties, being consistent and reliable in what he does. If he can do all that and stay away from serious injury he could become a very good bottom line NHL player.

Reactions: trilobyte

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Seems like a solid 4th liner. Not elite but having him, Strome, and Lias on the 4th line is why I don't think this team is as bad as some think. Teams often have AHL fodder on their 4th line, maybe not as much nowadays, but it used to be that way.

Although Strome on the fourth line is sad in itself

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad