Recalled/Assigned: Boo Nieves to NYR

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Nieves. Another awful Rangers draft pick.

In hindsight there were better choices we could have made but still 2012 wasn't exactly the deepest draft ever. Basically we're talking about 18 year olds and sometimes it takes a year or two for guys who were picked later on to start to really show something. It ain't like college basketball or football where the player matures for a few years in college before they're drafted into the NBA or the NFL. The younger the candidates for a draft are the more of a crapshoot it's likely to be or at least I think so. f***--I see an 18 year old and I usually just see a kid but then again I've become an old geezer. You think what the f*** happened sometimes.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
Boo is a prime example of what most 2nd/3rd round picks become.. You get excited reading about their ceilings when they're drafted. You sit back a few years hoping to see some development. You see them up with the big club, and meh. But that's the reality of most 2nd rounders and beyond.

That's why I wouldn't move someone like Vesey, for a 2nd.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
No. It is VERY easy to be an arm chair quarterback when you have the benefit of hindsight. I just think that the pick turned into being a pretty mediocre prospect.

True. He was a bottom 2nd round pick. Those are basically lottery tickets. The fact that Nieves made the NHL for a player picked that late is already an accomplishment

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
Of the whole 2012 2. round 10 have played more NHL games then Nieves. Its not a very good pick, but a average/above-average pick. We all would love for it to be the best pick we could have made, but we shouldnt get mad too mad about this pick.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Of the whole 2012 2. round 10 have played more NHL games then Nieves. Its not a very good pick, but a average/above-average pick. We all would love for it to be the best pick we could have made, but we shouldnt get mad too mad about this pick.

But... But... It's so much easier to look back and cherry pick that one player drafted after Nieves who turned out to be a star!

Should have gone for Gostisbehere! No wait, Parayko! Oh, and of course Slavin instead of Calle Andersson. Because nothing says "I'm an expert" like cherry picking the best players in a 6-year old draft and criticize our front office for not picking the (now) obvious studs

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Boo has looked good so far, just 2 games
think he is -1. on Andersson getting his pocket picked that 1st game

demonstrated serious wheels vs Ducks last night, with solid overall play and steal. Would look better if he beat goalie on the play, but still pretty good, Is clearly IMO a cut above 4th line pretenders at worst, and continues to show no reason to not give legit chance experiment w?Kreider.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Boo has looked good so far, just 2 games
think he is -1. on Andersson getting his pocket picked that 1st game

demonstrated serious wheels vs Ducks last night, with solid overall play and steal. Would look better if he beat goalie on the play, but still pretty good, Is clearly IMO a cut above 4th line pretenders at worst, and continues to show no reason to not give legit chance experiment w?Kreider.
I like Nieves and he looked good in his role.

Chris Kreider is on pace for a career-high in goals and points. I don't know why they'd randomly move Zibanejad or Hayes (both of whom are also having career years) off a top-two center spot to give a shot to a guy who my not even be a regular NHLer for more than another year or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland

Chris Kreider is on pace for a career-high in goals and points. I don't know why they'd randomly move Zibanejad or Hayes (both of whom are also having career years) off a top-two center spot to give a shot to a guy who my not even be a regular NHLer for more than another year or two.
Just...because

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado

Because Synergy

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

It's not random.
It is deliberate and intentional.

We may yet move Zib due to both the return and his pending NMC, although I could see if he did 3-4 year extension at mutually good # and dropped the NMC replacing it w/generous NTC, I could see him staying.

Either way, Zib, a righty shot, looks VERY good w/Kreider. But Z does NOT have to be a C here. In fact, shifting him to W addresses need to have a top 1RW who is a righty shot.

Concede that much makes sense.
Who then is your 1C?
Remember, this does have to be a guy who drives everything on his own, which is what I think is hanging up some on getting behind this. He just has to be an effective cog who supports and enables his Ws. His D and faceoffs are better than minimally acceptable. Based on demonstration so far, no reason to think he does not understand how to pass.

Ultimately, Chytil/Howden could evolve into that other 1C who can be a driver in addition to a supporting enabler. I like their chances, although my $ is on Kravtsov, if he is as good as advertised and has extensive earlier experience/ability in the pivot.

But in the meantime, Boo on paper is our guy, he is a fit as a supporting enabler. He is slower than Kreider but faster than Zib. Speed kills and it opens up lanes and space. If that is continuous, it winds up with a lot of high %age chances. Sure, we should take advantage of CK in front of the net, not only to screen but also deflect. On the other hand, it would be nice not to make our prize thoroughbred get constantly beat up in front 'cause nobody else we have atm can cut it.

What I have proposed is not an excessive reach.
Taking it one step further, and saying the chemistry of Nieves is SO good that it gets to another level and he becomes a legit 1C that actually drives the play on his own, THAT is too much, THAT -- while theoretically possible --- is pushing it.

But what I have said, as to a functional plug/stopgap, that was not excessive.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
It's not random.

We may yet move Zib due to both the return and his pending NMC, although I could see if he did 3-4 year extension at mutually good # and dropped the NMC replacing it w/generous NTC, I could see him staying.

Either way, Zib, a righty shot, looks VERY good w/Kreider. But Z does NOT have to be a C here. In fact, shifting him to W addresses need to have a top 1RW who is a righty shot.

Who then is your 1C?
Remember, this does have to be a guy who drives everything on his own, which is what I think is hanging up some on getting behind this. He just has to be an effective cog who supports and enables his Ws. His D and faceoffs are better than minimally acceptable. Based on demonstration so far, no reason to think he does not understand how to pass.

Ultimately, Chytil/Howden could evolve into that other 1C who can be a driver in addition to a supporting enabler. I like their chances, although my $ is on Kravtsov, if he is as good as advertised and has extensive earlier experience/ability in the pivot.

But in the meantime, Boo on paper is our guy, he is a fit as a supporting enabler. He is slower than Kreider but faster than Zib. Speed kills and it opens up lanes and space. If that is continuous, it winds up with a lot of high %age chances. Sure, we should take advantage of CK in front of the net, not only to screen but also deflect. On the other hand, it would be nice not to make our prize thoroughbred get constantly beat up in front 'cause nobody else we have atm can cut it.

Taking it one step further, and saying the chemistry of Nieves is SO good that it gets to another level and he becomes a legit 1C that actually drives the play on his own, THAT is too much, THAT -- while theoretically possible --- is pushing it.

Please just give it a rest.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Without talking likelihoods, just imagine that we're in one of the universes where Boo gets a shot with Kreider for whatever reason, something clicks, and he blossoms overnight into a top6 power forward.

Just imagine the copious amounts of crow that bern will be justified in serving. He could gleefully dish it out with both hands for decades and never catch up to what he's earned. Just imagine.

Yes this would be true in that I would be more than justified, I would be fully effin entitled.

However, the rule here is most of the base and I are not in as much disagreement as would seem to some.

I have put forth an idea, based on what I consider a sound premise.
No guarantee, but a sound premise.

The great majority of the board -- in many cases wishing well --- does not share my optimism.

That is both my right and theirs.

But they do recognize there is a premise. I COULD BE right. They just disagree as to %s on that.

Where I draw the line is not a polite dispute over that premise.
Where I draw the line is I insist everyone admit that it costs the Rangers nothing to try, and give this kid a LEGIT shot w/Kreids.
So, esp since we have a 2nd invested in him, try it.

And I'm pleased to say, kudos to you all [save a few exceptions], that there is no consensus against that.

And when it suits Quinn, whether or not he reads this, it is my hope he will get around to trying it, and if there is adequate trial duration and conditions, then we will know.

----

Of course, there are always a few exceptions to every rule.
I am not persecuted by the great majority.
I am pleased to own my often outside the box comments, and accept lumps for those which did not work out.
I'll take my %s.

However, there are a couple of guys here who are total naysayers, who would argue with me if I said water was wet.
Even if it costs the Rangers, they would love to have another stone to throw at me.

I won't elaborate on that for now; he who laughs last...

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Had a nice game last night. Build on it.

Concur.
Can't make more of it than it is, esp at this point, but there is no reason to anticipate he won't be able to build.
How slow or fast that build is, remains to be seen, and there are several variables.

But we can be hopeful and cautiously optimistic.
It is very early but he seems over the concussion, thank God.
Hopefully that does not change, esp. anytime soon.

Thanks for the positive comment.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
It's not random.

Who then is your 1C?

81mpTbJ3BgL._SL1400_.jpg

Don Chytil

Jan 14, 2010
Queens
After giving it some thought, I agree with Bern that we should put Nieves at 1C. Here's my thought process:

- The Rangers aren't winning this year, so they should be doing everything they can to lose
- Putting Zibanejad and Kreider together on the top line has been helping us WIN - which is not good for the future of this team
- Is Nieves a part of the future of this team? It's hard to say without seeing what he can do with better teammates and real ice time
- So put Nieves on the top line with Kreider for a few games - chances are that we lose (which is good for the Rangers) and maybe we get an idea of what Nieves can do in a bigger role (which is good for the Rangers to know)

So either way it goes - the result is good for the Rangers. I see no faults in Bern's logic.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Concur.
Can't make more of it than it is, esp at this point, but there is no reason to anticipate he won't be able to build.
How slow or fast that build is, remains to be seen, and there are several variables.

But we can be hopeful and cautiously optimistic.
It is very early but he seems over the concussion, thank God.
Hopefully that does not change, esp. anytime soon.

Thanks for the positive comment.

No prob!

Always been a Boo fan. Even if the offense isn't top 6, he should be a bottom 6er easily. He has speed, is a PKer which fits my personal credentials of "need to be good at some form of special teams to be a bottom 6er" and he possess the puck enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad