Boo Birds

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Because the team plays like crap and wins in spite of itself, and then as even a newborn child could have predicted, folded like a cheap suit immeadiately thereafter. Because it's been 50 god damn years. Because Harold Ballard, JFJ and Brian Burke. Because they wanted to voice their displeasure at being charged the highest ticket prices in the NHL despite being ravenously loyal to a pathetic franchise for half a century and as a reward getting to watch an overpaid group of entitled losers play like steaming dog**** for 60 minutes. You know why the arena is silent when things are going well? Because MLSE sells half the seats to lawyers and bankers at inflated prices so they can conduct business meetings and stare and their cellphones the entire time. The ACC runs at about 60% capacity every night when you take that group out of the mix.

If a player on this team is ticked-off, they can find the door. I hate when people try to be apologists for this franchise in general. We have the best damn fans in hockey and yet people want to defend this group? This group that won't even try 100%, despite their million dollar salaries, penthouse lofts and Aston Martins, paid for by the working class fans of the Chicago Cubs of the NHL?

Please dude.

Admit it. You've never been to a game have you?

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008

Was thinking the same thing. At any given moment, 99% of people are watching the ice. Also, go figure that people actually want to have a conversation with those around them instead of screaming for 2.5 hours.

By these standards, EVERY rink in the world is quiet.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
I hardly ever go to games, but when I do I'm pretty quiet. I go to appreciate the game and the scene. Not into painting my face, waving flags and screaming.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Because of advanced stats.

According to the advanced stats we're in the hunt for McDavid.

So long as the team isn't playing absolutely perfect hockey and the expectations (set not just at winning a Stanley Cup and President's Trophy, but basically every other trophy available, including having all the little Timbits kids that come out during intermissions winning their respective championships and receiving Harvard scholarships...)

Well, even when all that stuff is going on, the team will still get booed by fans because that's what these fans know.

They know when a game is lost they boo, and there's never anything to be excited about for Toronto because the media never has anything positive to say.

So if you don't like the boo birds, just ignore them, because they're never going away. Ever.

Last edited:

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
You pay hundreds of dollars .. you have the right to boo.
There is a difference between losing a game where you had a high compete level and just getting blown out with 0 effort

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Booing when it's warranted doesn't bother me.
That wouldn't even make the list of things people do at the games which are annoying.

Morning Dart

Jun 22, 2013
Toronto

haha, well you got me...

I don't go often because I can't afford it. Always upper-deck, where the atmosphere is great. I don't boo. I just question why people feel the need to criticize those that do. They have every right.

Ace88*

Because the team plays like crap and wins in spite of itself, and then as even a newborn child could have predicted, folded like a cheap suit immeadiately thereafter. Because it's been 50 god damn years. Because Harold Ballard, JFJ and Brian Burke. Because they wanted to voice their displeasure at being charged the highest ticket prices in the NHL despite being ravenously loyal to a pathetic franchise for half a century and as a reward getting to watch an overpaid group of entitled losers play like steaming dog**** for 60 minutes. You know why the arena is silent when things are going well? Because MLSE sells half the seats to lawyers and bankers at inflated prices so they can conduct business meetings and stare and their cellphones the entire time. The ACC runs at about 60% capacity every night when you take that group out of the mix.

If a player on this team is ticked-off, they can find the door. I hate when people try to be apologists for this franchise in general. We have the best damn fans in hockey and yet people want to defend this group? This group that won't even try 100%, despite their million dollar salaries, penthouse lofts and Aston Martins, paid for by the working class fans of the Chicago Cubs of the NHL?

Please dude.

We do not have the best fans in hockey. We have a split personality fanbase that cant even make up its collective mind from game to game. We have an insane amount of fairweather fans who probably think they know more than they do (which isn't flaming anybody as im referring to people not on this site), and a ton more fans who want to tank while we're in a playoff spot. We have fans that blame current players for past executive failures. We have fans that travel to other cities and start assaulting their fans.

We dont have the best fans in hockey. Far ****ing from it. What we have is a fractured, factionally schismed smorgasbord of hundreds of thousands of knowitalls who think they know how to run a hockey team. We have a dysfunctional relationship with the entire ****ing sport of hockey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
It's been 10 years of frustration, I think fans are allowed to boo on occasion if they want to. Afterall, the fans have paid hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars over the years.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
haha, well you got me...

I don't go often because I can't afford it. Always upper-deck, where the atmosphere is great. I don't boo. I just question why people feel the need to criticize those that do. They have every right.

I go to a ton of games, 2nd last row Purple. The atmosphere can be great, not always. I have sat down below on occasion and don't find the fans much different. Regardless of where you sit there is a fair number who play on their phones, parade non stop for beer/bathroom/smoke/whatever else it is they need to do beside watch the game.

The ones I see there quite often tend to sit and watch, chat to their guest and know when to cheer/boo/ leave their seat.

People can enjoy the game however they like as long as it doesn't disturb me. My biggest peeve is those that wait for the Play to start and then decide it's time to go to wherever it is they go.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
You pay hundreds of dollars .. you have the right to boo.
There is a difference between losing a game where you had a high compete level and just getting blown out with 0 effort

It's been 10 years of frustration, I think fans are allowed to boo on occasion if they want to. Afterall, the fans have paid hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars over the years.

By that statement, given that I'm a season ticket holder for the Winnipeg Jets, I should be able to go to all my games and boo the team, irrespective of performance.

I could go with a bunch of jerseys every game and each time the opposition scores I could throw one on the ice to voice my ticket paying opinion.

Hopefully, this exaggerated scenario shows how absolutely stupid it sounds to try and justify people booing a team that's 19-12-3 and coming off a 10-1-1 stint (or 10-4-1 if you want to include the recent losing streak).

It's absolutely stupid behaviour, and really, I seriously question whether the people booing are even really fans. I would say it's more a combination of stupid drunk people who just wanted to go see a game and mob mentality, and the cloud of negativity fostered by the media.

How people think they should boo a team with a playoff-bound record makes no sense.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
We do not have the best fans in hockey. We have a split personality fanbase that cant even make up its collective mind from game to game. We have an insane amount of fairweather fans who probably think they know more than they do (which isn't flaming anybody as im referring to people not on this site), and a ton more fans who want to tank while we're in a playoff spot. We have fans that blame current players for past executive failures. We have fans that travel to other cities and start assaulting their fans.

We dont have the best fans in hockey. Far ****ing from it. What we have is a fractured, smorgasbord of hundreds of thousands of knowitalls who think they know how to run a hockey team. We have a dysfunctional relationship with the entire ****ing sport of hockey.

I would say it goes beyond into all Toronto teams, but still, well said.

Doc300c

Jun 18, 2014
Mississauga
I don't understand as to why these guys took it upon themselves to voice their displeasure at a team that had just gone 8-1-1 three games prior.

If we're going to be known to have the quietest arena in the NHL, mind as well use the Boos when its really warranted.

Things going well: Silence.
Things going bad: Boos.

If I was a player on this team, I'd be ticked-off.

If you really want to be ticked off as a Leafs player, watch the Exhibition game between Canada and Sweden from Sunday. The crowd was electric and so loud it was amazing. The bad news was that it was only an exhibition game and was an under-20 tournament. Pretty sad that's the loudest I've heard the ACC in a long time.

Ace88*

By that statement, given that I'm a season ticket holder for the Winnipeg Jets, I should be able to go to all my games and boo the team, irrespective of performance.

I could go with a bunch of jerseys every game and each time the opposition scores I could throw one on the ice to voice my ticket paying opinion.

Hopefully, this exaggerated scenario shows how absolutely stupid it sounds to try and justify people booing a team that's 19-12-3 and coming off a 10-1-1 stint (or 10-4-1 if you want to include the recent losing streak).

It's absolutely stupid behaviour, and really, I seriously question whether the people booing are even really fans. I would say it's more a combination of stupid drunk people who just wanted to go see a game and mob mentality, and the cloud of negativity fostered by the media.

How people think they should boo a team with a playoff-bound record makes no sense.

So much agree with this. It's one thing if they were 12-19-3 instead, but a team that's 7 games above .500 at the 35 game mark should not be booed. Regardless of the game's performance. Zero class.

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON

Please dude.

Amazing post man. This is exactly how I feel. This franchise should be so much better. What ever happened to having high standards for what used to be such a great franchise. You can't criticise this core without being criticized yourself. What ever happened to accountability in professional sports.

Shimso

Oct 9, 2011
The Raptors may be a part of the problem. They've been focusing on building the image of the Raptors rather than building up the Leafs. I mean, who can blame them. Raptors aren't the Leafs of the NBA, and the Leafs sell out every night regardless of how they play. They're doing the right thing business wise, and now the Raptors are good and have a brand and are selling out consistently. Now they need to go back and focus on the other 3 teams they have, all of whom are really struggling. Maybe then we'll see this team turn it around, but it won't be with this core...

huh?

MLSE is a major corp with a ton of cash and resources; they've capable of focusing on more than 1 entity at a time. And the Leafs stunk for quite a few years before the Raptors even existed, let alone before the last ~2 years of TL's tenure. And while the Raptors don't have a fanbase as big as the Leafs, they still had very good attendance (when compared with the team record) for years and was supposedly listed as one of the top 5 teams in revenue during the last lockout.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
If anything I'd boo the hell out of Nonis and Carlyle. We all know that this team is not good enough. I don't expect much from them anymore and it's all due to the buffonery of those 2 gentelmen.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I don't understand as to why these guys took it upon themselves to voice their displeasure at a team that had just gone 8-1-1 three games prior.

If we're going to be known to have the quietest arena in the NHL, mind as well use the Boos when its really warranted.

Things going well: Silence.
Things going bad: Boos.

If I was a player on this team, I'd be ticked-off.

People are silent when things are going well because this team is so damn fragile everyone is afraid to make any noise that might throw them off.

The fans have been trained so that when things are going well, its only because they're about the start going bad.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
If anything I'd boo the hell out of Nonis and Carlyle. We all know that this team is not good enough. I don't expect much from them anymore and it's all due to the buffonery of those 2 gentelmen.

Wait...if "we all know" the team isn't good enough, why should we boo Carlye? He is just trying to make the best out of this collection of players that, as you say, we all know is not good enough.

I can't believe there are still people (Leaf "fans" no less!) who think coaching is what is wrong with this team. :help:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
So much agree with this. It's one thing if they were 12-19-3 instead, but a team that's 7 games above .500 at the 35 game mark should not be booed. Regardless of the game's performance. Zero class.

I'm legitimately curious why you think that. Because, yes, if the team performed very well, but lost, then I can totally see why you'd be like why are you booing, why are you even angry because you look at the entire body of work.

But if the team shows up, dominates for 5 minutes and get a 3-2 lead, and then plays really , really poorly, (like defensive play, not there, great chances, not there, just the level of effort and anything out there), that the performance that night - just poor decisions, poor effort, etc etc, should have been a collective "at least we're 7 games over .500"?

I get the 'don't boo' if it's just a tough period.
I get the 'don't boo' if it's a tough fought out battle and we lost
I get the 'don't boo' if it is one of those games where everything was just going in and we happened to lose

but i'm curious why if the performance on the ice is legitimately not good, why a person shouldn't boo? is it simply because the team is doing well, we shouldn't boo, or only if the record is indicative of being boo worthy?

AINEC*

AINEC
Jul 4, 2011
Go in to work late tomorrow then immediately fall asleep at your desk until your lunch break which you decide to just not return from once you're done.

"Don't worry guys, he was a great last week!"

Morning Dart

Jun 22, 2013
Toronto
Vor;94506379 We dont have the best fans in hockey. Far ****ing from it. What we have is a fractured said:
Agree to disagree. Every fanbase, particularly one as big as ours, has its share of jackasses. It still doesn't change the fact that the Leafs are the best supported team in the sport. Only the Habs even come close. It's not even sheer numbers, but the way the city lives and breathes hockey. Of course 90% of our fanbase is insane, but it doesn't mean the product hasn't sucked for a decade.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad