Boo Birds

Schadenfreude

Armchair Expert
May 14, 2014
Torana, ON
I don't understand as to why these guys took it upon themselves to voice their displeasure at a team that had just gone 8-1-1 three games prior.

If we're going to be known to have the quietest arena in the NHL, mind as well use the Boos when its really warranted.

Things going well: Silence.
Things going bad: Boos.

If I was a player on this team, I'd be ticked-off.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
crowd was loud when we were winning. shockingly they booo crap outings like the one Saturday night.

Maybe Dion and Phil can stop doing charity work as revenge.

Morning Dart

Jun 22, 2013
Toronto
I don't understand as to why these guys took it upon themselves to voice their displeasure at a team that had just gone 8-1-1 three games prior.

If we're going to be known to have the quietest arena in the NHL, mind as well use the Boos when its really warranted.

Because the team plays like crap and wins in spite of itself, and then as even a newborn child could have predicted, folded like a cheap suit immeadiately thereafter. Because it's been 50 god damn years. Because Harold Ballard, JFJ and Brian Burke. Because they wanted to voice their displeasure at being charged the highest ticket prices in the NHL despite being ravenously loyal to a pathetic franchise for half a century and as a reward getting to watch an overpaid group of entitled losers play like steaming dog**** for 60 minutes. You know why the arena is silent when things are going well? Because MLSE sells half the seats to lawyers and bankers at inflated prices so they can conduct business meetings and stare and their cellphones the entire time. The ACC runs at about 60% capacity every night when you take that group out of the mix.

If a player on this team is ticked-off, they can find the door. I hate when people try to be apologists for this franchise in general. We have the best damn fans in hockey and yet people want to defend this group? This group that won't even try 100%, despite their million dollar salaries, penthouse lofts and Aston Martins, paid for by the working class fans of the Chicago Cubs of the NHL?

Please dude.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

hmmm.
so. I am there at the game..

My team at this point: 2 points away from taking the division lead. vs. the 2nd worst team in the conference.

My team comes out and scores early, to the point, the coach looks at his backup goalie and goes "Hm. I wonder." then we blow a two goal lead, then we score again. (at this point - we're all cheering).

then we blow that lead and then get scored against four more times, due to crappy, pathetic, not giving a hoot play - but you're saying if you were aplayer you'd be ticked off that at this point, after seeing one player decide to just sit back and let Giroux and Voracek do their thing, and what not that I say, screw this, and boo the horrendous play because you went 8-1-1 ?

let's not make it out like we played how we played vs. detroit last Saturday, and lost by alucky bounce. that performance deserved a booing.

(and. let's not make out like the fans don't cheer. just because they aren't as rambunctious as a tonne of people want it to be, it's not like it's stone quiet). Smokes.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
I don't know why you're saying it's silent at home when Leafs win.

I was there for the 4-1 win over Detroit. The place was very loud. People were on their feet for the last two minutes applauding the team.

member 147413

If I was a player on this team, I'd take nights off and show the fans my consistent inconsistency. :sarcasm:

TheDeez91

Dec 19, 2014
North Bay, Ontario
Because the team plays like crap and wins in spite of itself, and then as even a newborn child could have predicted, folded like a cheap suit immeadiately thereafter. Because it's been 50 god damn years. Because Harold Ballard, JFJ and Brian Burke. Because they wanted to voice their displeasure at being charged the highest ticket prices in the NHL despite being ravenously loyal to a pathetic franchise for half a century and as a reward getting to watch an overpaid group of entitled losers play like steaming dog**** for 60 minutes. You know why the arena is silent when things are going well? Because MLSE sells half the seats to lawyers and bankers at inflated prices so they can conduct business meetings and stare and their cellphones the entire time. The ACC runs at about 60% capacity every night when you take that group out of the mix.

If a player on this team is ticked-off, they can find the door. I hate when people try to be apologists for this franchise in general. We have the best damn fans in hockey and yet people want to defend this group? This group that won't even try 100%, despite their million dollar salaries, penthouse lofts and Aston Martins, paid for by the working class fans of the Chicago Cubs of the NHL?

Please dude.

Amen brother! We have suffered long enough! We have earned the right to boo after seeing 50 years of excuses and complacency.

The problem is the Leafs have no incentive to win hockey games. They will fill the building every night regardless of whether the Leafs are the best or the worst team in the NHL. The only way this culture of losing changes is if Fans decide to take a stand and stay home. Let your dollars voice your displeasure with this franchise! Otherwise this franchise will continue to laugh it's way to the bank with your money and continue to make a profit off of your false hopes.

Last edited:

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory

If I was a player on this team I would be embarrassed by some of my team mates effort.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007

Please dude.

:thumbu: :thumbu:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
If I was Kadri I'd ask why people here say I have to play a better 200 foot game to be solid while others don't.

Exactly, you know who gets away without being a 200 foot player, why shouldn't Karri? :dunno:

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
then you should go to a team that fanbase doesn't put hockey as their #1 sport and wait till February when football is over just to have your arena half packed and people cheering when you make the playoffs.

edit: or a fanbase who couldn't give a **** about hockey till football season is over and is still #2 to a basketball team.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013

fans don't boo when the Leafs lose a hard-fought game. They boo when the Leafs **** the bed, get lazy and mail it in for the night. i.e. this past Saturday night.

If they lose 5-4 in a close contest then fans are satisfied with the effort. It's the lack of effort that gets the boos.

Morning Dart

Jun 22, 2013
Toronto
Amen brother! We have suffered long enough! We have earned the right to boo after seeing 50 years of excuses and complacency.

The problem is the Leafs have no incentive to win hockey games. They will fill the building every night regardless of whether the Leafs are the best or the worst team in the NHL. The only way this culture of losing changes is if Fans decide to take a stand and stay home. Let your dollars voice your displeasure with this franchise! Otherwise this franchise will continue to laugh it's way to the bank with your money and continue to make a profit off of your false hopes.

Damn right. I'm in my 3rd year of university, so funds are stretched. Took my allocated Leaf game money and bought 3 Raptors tickets. Might be the same company but at least that team gives a crap.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If I was Kadri I'd ask why people here say I have to play a better 200 foot game to be solid while others don't.

The Kessel double standard has to be purged for a healthy working environment to take hold in Toronto.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
The Kessel double standard has to be purged for a healthy working environment to take hold in Toronto.

To be fair, Kessel has shown to be more defensively-conscious than his linemates at times this season. If anything, the blame should be shifted to his linemates: JVR and Bozak, you know, the guys who aren't brought to be scoring. If you're gonna be a defensive liability, you should have the offense to make up for it. Only Kessel has consistently shown that, while his linemates' production is heavily based on them riding his coattails. Bozak seems to be the main culprit on that line as he's missing his defensive assignments... something that he as a center cannot do as often as his wingers can.

And it's kind of funny that guys like Kadri and Kulemin are commended on their defense when, for all intents and purposes, they are simply playing a responsible positionally-sound game in their own end. Sure Kadri has impressed me with his ability to facilitate breakouts, but that's more along the lines of something a center should normally be doing. It just goes to show that maybe there's an offense-first mentality with our Maple Leafs and that it's affecting them on the scoreboard.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Do you know how much money MLSE makes on playoff games? The incentive is massive.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Damn right. I'm in my 3rd year of university, so funds are stretched. Took my allocated Leaf game money and bought 3 Raptors tickets. Might be the same company but at least that team gives a crap.

The Raptors may be a part of the problem. They've been focusing on building the image of the Raptors rather than building up the Leafs. I mean, who can blame them. Raptors aren't the Leafs of the NBA, and the Leafs sell out every night regardless of how they play. They're doing the right thing business wise, and now the Raptors are good and have a brand and are selling out consistently. Now they need to go back and focus on the other 3 teams they have, all of whom are really struggling. Maybe then we'll see this team turn it around, but it won't be with this core...

rimshot

Jan 10, 2010
North of South Mtn.

So if a team spends to the cap, employs the most scouts and avoids the play-offs like the plague, we can only assume it does so to maximize profits. These guys have a brilliant business plan.

jcfogerty

Aug 21, 2014

Please dude.

holy crap. this is the most awesome reply I have ever read! amen brother.....a friggin men. beautiful.:handclap:

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA

You know what corporations love more than making filthy, obscene amounts of money?

That's right, making even more filthy, obscene amounts of money. You mean to tell me that MLSE doesn't want seismic playoff revenues?

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
If I was a player on this team I would be embarrassed by some of my team mates effort.

i agree and the 1.1 million dollar guys that come to play every nite .doesnt matter who coaches this team ,sadly it will only go as far as our highest paid players take us ,,,,,and sadly this core has accepted losing before too many times ...i boo because this team isnt a rebuild .....its THE TEAM ....nonis and blowhard's dream tean period ......ya so id boo too after 6 years of the same mediocre crap ....8-1-1 is fine .....but the dallas game tonire to most of us is a must win .....because we know this group can go 1-8-1 just as easy
thats why we boo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad