OT: Bombers Thread: Bombers down Sask. Next West Final @CGY Nov 18

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The D played well enough to give the offence a chance to win the game... they just couldn't move the ball and get it done. And the Bombers take untimely penalties as frequently as the Jets.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Generally I think we are on the right track....

However I don't know about Nicholls. Do you add receivers and try and give him more options? Or do we just replace him outright? I don't know yet.

The defence is quite good. Would be tempted to add a big name or two and make it really dominant.

Last edited:

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
If Darvin Adams is your team's speedster you need to add another speedster. I suppose the same can be said about him as a physical receiver. Not to pick on him too much as he is a well above average player.
Darvin Adams is a great receiver...one of the best in the league. But he has his limitations. It was a mistake not going after Chris Matthews when he became available.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Generally I think we are on the right track....

However I don't know about Nicholls. Do you add receivers and try and give him more options? Or dos just replace him outright? I don't know yet.

The defence is quite good. Would be tempted to add a big name or two and make it really dominant.
Who do you replace him with? Give me some realistic names (Mike Reilly ain't coming here BTW). There are none, so Nichols will be our starter next season, and I think that is the right decision.

Reactions: TS Quint

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
So apparently the Nickname Dickenson has for Winnipeg is the "Canadian Mafia"

That's awesome. Bombers should capitalize on that.

I was wondering what could complete that phrase. Calgary's first visit each season could become the Mafia Bowl. Hey, we'll make you a ticket offa you can't refuse. I won't even get into the possibilities involving a horse's head. :laugh:

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
My random thoughts:

Nichols should and will be back next season as our starting QB. The entire offence seems to really struggle versus Calgary. We had the same issues earlier in the season at Calgary where Nichols just couldn't find any open receivers. The game near the end of the season versus Calgary at home, we did well because Calgary had a lot of injuries in their secondary.

Yesterday, I was really happy with the defence. What disappointed me was Lapo's play calling as I would have like to have seen more misdirection plays, and a couple missed TDs that were overthrown: one by Nichols and one by Streveler.

Overall the team is on the right track, just need some minor tweaks. What we Must sign is a big body receiver like Eric Rodgers. That's what this team has been missing for a number of years.

Will be interesting to see if Dressler returns or if he retires. I'm hoping and mostly expecting Bighill to return. Sounds like JSK is going to try out the new American Football Alliance. Jeffcoat is a free agent and will want a raise. There will be some changes on the OL next year with Geoff Gray ready to step in. I could see one of Hardrick or Neufeld being the odd man out, depending of if we try and start 4 Canadian OL. Will be interesting how the new Football Ops salary cap impacts which coaches are back.

This isn't a situation where we need to "blow it up". The team is on the right track, and I hope Walters can bring back as many pieces as possible. Just need that big body receiver like Eric Rodger/SJ Green.

I have more thoughts but on JSK the AAF makes no sense for him. He is in line for a huge raise, taking a 90K deal (all deals in AAF are 90K) would be ALOT less than what he'd make in CFL next year. Even factoring exchange rate your talking 40-80k us less than what he'll get up here, imo.

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
The D played well enough to give the offence a chance to win the game... they just couldn't move the ball and get it done. And the Bombers take untimely penalties as frequently as the Jets.
Alexander on that amazing punt gets no yards. How f'n hard is it to stay outside of five yards? 6-7 yards won't kill you. I swear football players has some of the least intelligent athletes of all sports.

Reactions: Flair Hay

kylbaz

Winnipeg <3
Nov 14, 2015
www.movingtowinnipeg.ca
Darvin Adams is a great receiver...one of the best in the league. But he has his limitations. It was a mistake not going after Chris Matthews when he became available.
What's the point when Nichols doesn't look past five yard passes?
I honestly think it was just a flat out choke under pressure. He looked terrible out there the whole game, couldn't find a receiver, panicked when there was the slightest pressure. He's had some good games, he isn't normally that bad.

Reactions: GNP

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Who do you replace him with? Give me some realistic names (Mike Reilly ain't coming here BTW). There are none, so Nichols will be our starter next season, and I think that is the right decision.
It's the right decision because it's the safest decision and probably only decision. If there were a viable alternative he'd be gone afaic. The Bombers inability to find and develop competent QB's has hurt them for years.

The team is going nowhere with Nichols unfortunately.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
This team will never get into a Grey Cup game with Nichols as our starter.
We need more than a “game manager”.
We need a QB who can win games and carry an offense.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I have more thoughts but on JSK the AAF makes no sense for him. He is in line for a huge raise, taking a 90K deal (all deals in AAF are 90K) would be ALOT less than what he'd make in CFL next year. Even factoring exchange rate your talking 40-80k us less than what he'll get up here, imo.

He'd be one of the highest-paid defensive players in the league then. 90k American factoring exchange and tax differential is extremely attractive to all American players outside of starting QB's and perhaps a few guys who are living in Canada year round who can shelter their income from being taxed twice. I think we see a mass exodus of CFL free agents to the AAF and the CBA uncertainty (no off-season bonuses paid) doesn't help.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
He'd be one of the highest-paid defensive players in the league then. 90k American factoring exchange and tax differential is extremely attractive to all American players outside of starting QB's and perhaps a few guys who are living in Canada year round who can shelter their income from being taxed twice. I think we see a mass exodus of CFL free agents to the AAF and the CBA uncertainty (no off-season bonuses paid) doesn't help.

Um most defensive starters make 120-150. For stars your looking at 175+. Bighill last year was signed at a ridiculous discount...at 175K. Bighill will be getting 300K this year almost guaranteed. JSK is looking at 130-175.

You're gonna be shocked about how few people bail for this league. Right in the AAF mission statement they talk about how they are looking for NFL and CFL cuts.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
This team will never get into a Grey Cup game with Nichols as our starter.
We need more than a “game manager”.
We need a QB who can win games and carry an offense.

People said the same stuff about Glenn. Then we got rid of him and turned into the worst franchise in the league for close to a decade. Takes some a while to learn this lesson I guess.

Reactions: GNP

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Saying Nichols is our best QB since Glenn doesn’t really justify keeping him around. If anything, it shows how incompetent our management is at finding decent QBs.

Nichols is not good enough to win a championship with, but I guess hold on to him for now as we don’t have anything else.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
People said the same stuff about Glenn. Then we got rid of him and turned into the worst franchise in the league for close to a decade. Takes some a while to learn this lesson I guess.
Wait....we won something with Kevin Glenn?

Likely would have if he stays healthy in '07, but Nichols would need the surrounding cast that team had to get as close.

Getting rid of Glenn wasn't the primary reason the Bombers turned into the league joke. Hiring Mike Kelly was, with Joe Mack a close second.

Reactions: snowkiddin and GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'll make a prediction-- Bo Levi Mitchell will be playing quarterback in the NFL within 3-4 years --maybe sooner. He's the perfect prototype NFL quarterback--tall, and can throw the ball deep and accurately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad