OT: Bombers Thread: Bombers down Sask. Next West Final @CGY Nov 18

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Only problem with Gray moving over is Goosen was a Centre, Gray is not.

This is why I pointed out the fact he has the intelligence and physical ability to move over.

OL often interchange, and Gray has no set position really in this league yet.

Potential Tackle, but unlikely to be getting on the field there this year. This would be a way for him to get RS reps.

Brendan LaBatte played every position on the line, don't get too attached to official positions for essentially rookies

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Shocking that Goossen retired. Looks like Couture is our starting centre this season. That has potential, but also gives me some anxiety. Good thing is that Couture has been in the system a couple years now so he should be comfortable directing the formations.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Just to remind: the Bombers have good OL depth, with 2 first round picks in a quality OL draft, and 3 picks in the top 15.

Reactions: The Blue Baron

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Just to remind: the Bombers have good OL depth, with 2 first round picks in a quality OL draft, and 3 picks in the top 15.
Unless we sign a free agent centre, Michael Coture is our starting Centre. "Good OL depth" doesn't mean that any one of the OL can play centre...it is a difficult position to play. I'm not panicking, but I'm not happy with this move either. Couture does have talent, but there will be some growing pains.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Unless we sign a free agent centre, Michael Coture is our starting Centre. "Good OL depth" doesn't mean that any one of the OL can play centre...it is a difficult position to play. I'm not panicking, but I'm not happy with this move either. Couture does have talent, but there will be some growing pains.
I didn't say it did , but it is certainly an option, and Couture is not a bad option, he played well last year.

It probably will be Couture, and I am fine with that.

In regards to "not being happy" -- this will free up cash for Chungh and Goosen isn't going to a rival. We were likely losing one of Chungh or Goosen, so this is basically best case scenario, assuming Chungh gets re-signed.

Not panicking at all.

Plus: see the above regarding the draft.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I didn't say it did , but it is certainly an option, and Couture is not a bad option, he played well last year.

It probably will be Couture, and I am fine with that.

In regards to "not being happy" -- this will free up cash for Chungh and Goosen isn't going to a rival. We were likely losing one of Chungh or Goosen, so this is basically best case scenario, assuming Chungh gets re-signed.

Not panicking at all.

Plus: see the above regarding the draft.
Of course it frees up cash for Chungh, but Goossen was the priority because he played centre. With Gray in the fold, Chungh is less of a requirement now. Although I suspect we will re-sign him now with Goossen out of the picture. It'll give Gray another year to develop instead of rushing him into a starting role.

Yes I'm fully aware of the draft picks , but they don't do much to help with this season.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Of course it frees up cash for Chungh, but Goossen was the priority because he played centre. With Gray in the fold, Chungh is less of a requirement now. Although I suspect we will re-sign him now with Goossen out of the picture. It'll give Gray another year to develop instead of rushing him into a starting role.

Yes I'm fully aware of the draft picks , but they don't do much to help with this season.

I don't really agree that Goosen was the priority, and draft picks are not really a need to start this year. Although Chungh started, and played well, his first year , so it is not that outlandish.

You drastically undervalue how good Chungh is and what he brings to the team, that is clear.

He is an elite, and extremely physical, guard in this league.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I don't really agree that Goosen was the priority, and draft picks are not really a need to start this year. Although Chungh started, and played well, his first year , so it is not that outlandish.

You drastically undervalue how good Chungh is and what he brings to the team, that is clear.

He is an elite, and extremely physical, guard in this league.
Agreed Chungh is a stud, but we have an in house replacement for him in Gray. Guard is much easier to play than centre and that's why I ranked Goossen higher on the priority list.

And Chungh starting his first season is by far the exception and not the norm. Smart GMs will never rely on a draft pick starting their first season.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Agreed Chungh is a stud, but we have an in house replacement for him in Gray. Guard is much easier to play than centre and that's why I ranked Goossen higher on the priority list.

And Chungh starting his first season is by far the exception and not the norm. Smart GMs will never rely on a draft pick starting their first season.

No rookie is being asked to start. Not sure why you are fixating on it.

The point is they can draft a replacement with one of the 3 picks they have in the top 15.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Goossen is a crazy big loss. Very short career too, kinda illustrates what the pay is like in the CFL relative to the health risk.

Wishing him luck, and at least he isn’t going to another team.

Gotta get Chungh now.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
No rookie is being asked to start. Not sure why you are fixating on it.

The point is they can draft a replacement with one of the 3 picks they have in the top 15.
Okay, pretty sure you said/suggested that, and then you gave the example of Chungh starting his first season. But maybe I misunderstood what you meant. Sure they can draft a replacement of there are any centre prospects ranked that high, and it'll take a couple years to develop them.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Goossen is a crazy big loss. Very short career too, kinda illustrates what the pay is like in the CFL relative to the health risk.

Wishing him luck, and at least he isn’t going to another team.

Gotta get Chungh now.

To be fair if it's true hes going to be a police officer he is taking a fairly severe pay cut off what he make as one of if not the best national center in the league. Goossen was looking at potentially as much as 200-250k. Rcmp starts at 6 months of 525$ a week then just 54k a year. Doubt vpd or any other local police pays alot more than that.

But you are likely right in the "relative to the health risk" thing. Goossen isn't the first guy to do this. Hell even the NFL has had some trouble with early retirements recently (an emerging star LB for 49ers recently retired at like 24 cause he said risk was too high). Its a thing football will have to get used to seeing more and more.

Big loss but at the position the Bomber can most afford to lose a player. Chung is an absolute must retain now though. Neufeld - Couture - Chung with Gray waiting in wings is still solid. BB have been saying for a couple years Couture is gonna be a player so now time to prove it. Hell if we have some extra room maybe we pick up a guy like Gott out of Ottawa. Great character guy there we can play C and help develop some guys as well (I'm guessing BB draft an OL or two early as well to develop).

Last edited:

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Okay, pretty sure you said/suggested that, and then you gave the example of Chungh starting his first season. But maybe I misunderstood what you meant. Sure they can draft a replacement of there are any centre prospects ranked that high, and it'll take a couple years to develop them.

No, I said Grey could potentially step in, but he is not a rookie.He was in the NFL for a year and with the Bombers for the last part of 2018.

It won't necessarily take a few years to develop them, but it may.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad