OT: Bombers Thread: Bombers down Sask. Next West Final @CGY Nov 18

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Man, I could rant for days about how bad it's been in Bomberville since 1990, including Sammy Garza getting booed off the field during a win, (and flipping off the fans) Cal Murphy's swan song (68-7 playoff loss), the Reinebold years, Lyle Bauer vs Dave Ritchie, Troy Westwood vs Field goals in the 01 Grey Cup, Khari Jones forgetting how to play QB after his kid was born, Lyle Bauer vs David Asper, Troy Westwood vs Doug Berry, Mike Kelly vs the previous admin, Mike Kelly vs the press, Mike Kelly vs his wife, that one season the Bombers paid 3 head coaches, 7 different head coaches from 2004-2014, Paul LaPolice's 3 tours of duty, Joe Mack, the stadium debacle. ****, I'm not even going into detail here.....but lets look at the numbers. Since 1991, the Bombers have won 12 (twice as many wins as losses) or more games 5 times. 93, 94, 01, 02, & 17. They won their division 5 times. 92, 93, 94, 01, & 11. They have had the best overall regular season record 2 times. 93 & 01. They went to Grey Cups 5 times. 92, 94, 01, 07 & 11. Meanwhile they finished with 6 or less wins 8 times. 97, 98, 99, 05, 10, 12, 13, & 15. They finished last in their division 7 times. 98, 99, 05, 10, 12, 13, & 14. They finished with the worst overall record 6 times. 98, 05, 10, 12, 13, & 14. While they made the playoffs 17 times and missed 11, they've only had winning seasons in 11 of them. If you're paying attention, most of the really good years were over a decade ago. The last 10 years have been pretty brutal overall. If Ottawa wins next week, each team will have won the Grey Cup at least 2 times since the Bombers last won it. Cleveland Browns of the CFL seems apt, actually.

While I agree the dramatics complaining about the last few seasons are over the top, the Bombers have in no way 'often' been the best team. They're more likely to be mediocre, (17 seasons of .500 or less!) or outright pathetic and occasionally an embarrassment. And of the 5 Grey Cups they've been to since 1990, they really haven't been expected to do much with them other than in 01. 1992 was the beginning of the Doug Flutie era and he handled them easily. In 94 Dunigan was hurt, 07 Glenn was hurt and in 11 BC was a heavy, heavy favorite. Swaggerville finished the season 3-8 including playoffs that year.

However, very recent history has been promising. I actually endorse keeping O'Shea. Hopefully he can make a few tweaks. He hasn't been bad enough that someone else wouldn't pick him up. Why be the team to let a guy figure out a tough job and let him go? They really should have turfed him in 2015 then. I feel he'd only come back to haunt 'em. Same goes for Walters. Nichols needs to go though.
not a bad summary.
except i no longer link the recent team to the woes of the previous 20 years. different management, different coaches, different stadium, literally different everything.
the last 3 years have been VERY entertaining. so i don't complain.
yesterday was interesting (but not in a good way). Nichols and the O line were stymied. or Nichols laid an egg. as someone said, the television coverage didn't do a good job explaining why both QBs went ice cold for long stretches. unsure if Nichols was missing reads, if the coverage was tight, if poor routes were being called, poor routes being run...
i would complain about the lack of using Demski, who was an assassin for the 1st half of the season. i will complain about the lack of play options, of using Harris as a decoy for a fake handoff. i will not complain about Streveler not being put in because, really, you aren't going to win if Streveler was in there. sorry guys. you likely aren't (i mean, only one way to find out. but i wasn't interested in finding out.)
was that Matt Nichols' last game as a Bomber? quite possibly. i'm not sure how management wouldn't look at having Streveler, who i think has potential, but is still raw as hell, and is cheaper and younger than Nichols and with fewer playoff losses.

almostawake

Jan 19, 2006
Lausanne
Overall, I'm not overly disappointed with the season. More disappointed with where I feel this situation leaves us.

The defense performed about as well as you could have expected. Replacing Santos-Knox with Wild takes even more speed out of a pass protection package that is already in tough without Leggett. Obviously some rejuvenation required on that side of the ball, but nothing that cannot be sorted by some solid recruiting down south.

The offense has serious issues.

Nichols's eye level was awful. Don't know if this was fear of Calgary dline, lack of confidence in oline, scheme, or just where he is at in terms of ability. But you cannot win in the CFL with a pocket-passing QB who cannot keep his eyes down field. This was by far the thing that disappointed me the most.

The second most disappointing was the use of the Streveler package on first down. What a mess. That package put Nichols in 2nd and long almost every time. You cannot expect Nichols to sustain drives if he’s only given one down. I blame LaPolice for this. Early in the season you can put a team on the back foot using hurry-up because they're not fully up to speed on their system. In hot weather you can wear a dline down using hurry-up. And you can always knock a poorly coached defense off balance using hurry up. But you cannot expect to gain a significant advantage from hurry-up when you're deep in the playoffs. The opposing defense is almost certainly well coach and prepared for it, and you aren't going to wear them down, especially if they have a solid offense giving them breaks.

I think there has to be a serious evaluation of Nichol's ability to push the ball down field. If he has simply lost it, time to move on and groom a new QB.

But that new QB is not Streveler. The guy simply doesn't have the level required to be a CFL QB. He is a nice change of pace and can add a dimension to an offense. But he isn't he answer.

Edit: Will soften this opinion of Streveler because I forgot how young and inexperienced he is. But I don't think the solution is to "give him a look" as the starter. But rather to just focus on developing him properly on the mental side of the game. He has such a long way to come in terms of making reads. Maybe he'll get there. But I don't think he's at the point yet where game-speed experience is what is lacking. He needs to just devote massive amounts of time to studying.

Paul LaPolice has to spend the offseason revamping the core of his offensive scheme, not inventing new gadget and change of pace packages. They’ll never hold their effectiveness over the course of an entire season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ducky10

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Don't know how you can bring back Nichols next year and expect fans to be excited for the season. He will never win a Grey Cup in his career, you have to try something else.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Overall, I'm not overly disappointed with the season. More disappointed with where I feel this situation leaves us.

The defense performed about as well as you could have expected. Replacing Santos-Knox with Wild takes even more speed out of a pass protection package that is already in tough without Leggett. Obviously some rejuvenation required on that side of the ball, but nothing that cannot be sorted by some solid recruiting down south.

The offense has serious issues.

Nichols's eye level was awful. Don't know if this was fear of Calgary dline, lack of confidence in oline, scheme, or just where he is at in terms of ability. But you cannot win in the CFL with a pocket-passing QB who cannot keep his eyes down field. This was by far the thing that disappointed me the most.

The second most disappointing was the use of the Streveler package on first down. What a mess. That package put Nichols in 2nd and long almost every time. You cannot expect Nichols to sustain drives if he’s only given one down. I blame LaPolice for this. Early in the season you can put a team on the back foot using hurry-up because they're not fully up to speed on their system. In hot weather you can wear a dline down using hurry-up. And you can always knock a poorly coached defense off balance using hurry up. But you cannot expect to gain a significant advantage from hurry-up when you're deep in the playoffs. The opposing defense is almost certainly well coach and prepared for it, and you aren't going to wear them down, especially if they have a solid offense giving them breaks.

I think there has to be a serious evaluation of Nichol's ability to push the ball down field. If he has simply lost it, time to move on and groom a new QB.

But that new QB is not Streveler. The guy simply doesn't have the level required to be a CFL QB. He is a nice change of pace and can add a dimension to an offense. But he isn't he answer.

Edit: Will soften this opinion of Streveler because I forgot how young and inexperienced he is. But I don't think the solution is to "give him a look" as the starter. But rather to just focus on developing him properly on the mental side of the game. He has such a long way to come in terms of making reads. Maybe he'll get there. But I don't think he's at the point yet where game-speed experience is what is lacking. He needs to just devote massive amounts of time to studying.

Paul LaPolice has to spend the offseason revamping the core of his offensive scheme, not inventing new gadget and change of pace packages. They’ll never hold their effectiveness over the course of an entire season.
Great summary, right on point.

Reactions: almostawake

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Apparently Dave Dickenson ranted about officiating and called O'Shea a ****ing Canadian after the game.

It sounded like he said "are you f***ing kidding me?" not "f***ing Canadian". What kind of insult is that, anyway? No one's go-to bag of defamations includes "f***ing Canadians!"

Reactions: Turbofan

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Don't know how you can bring back Nichols next year and expect fans to be excited for the season. He will never win a Grey Cup in his career, you have to try something else.
until he's cut by Wpg, signs with BC or the Argos, wins a Grey Cup and we have to listen to Wpg fans complaining how we shouldn't have let him go. lolz

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Poor play calling today too. And those two second down runs up the gut where Harris got stuffed were on who? Harris? Oline? Lapp? All of the above?
Lapolice for the most part. Why on God’s green earth is it a good idea to line up in shotgun and hand the ball off 5 yards into the backfield? That gives away any advantage you have with the defense lining up a yard away from the line of scrimmage.

You would be better off letting Strevler sneak it up the middle twice.

I’m still bitter about those plays.

Reactions: snowkiddin

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I'm not a Nichols fan. He’s another version of Kevin Glenn. Average. But I’ll take average over what we had in the years following Glenn.

IMO, Strevler didn’t prove he’s a starter in the opportunities he got. At least not yet. I’d prefer he get a chance to take the job from Nichols next year at some point.

I have zero confidence in our GM/scouting staff to find a new QB after Brohm for 2 years in a row, Dominic Davis, and a return of Bennett this year.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
My random thoughts:

Nichols should and will be back next season as our starting QB. The entire offence seems to really struggle versus Calgary. We had the same issues earlier in the season at Calgary where Nichols just couldn't find any open receivers. The game near the end of the season versus Calgary at home, we did well because Calgary had a lot of injuries in their secondary.

Yesterday, I was really happy with the defence. What disappointed me was Lapo's play calling as I would have like to have seen more misdirection plays, and a couple missed TDs that were overthrown: one by Nichols and one by Streveler.

Overall the team is on the right track, just need some minor tweaks. What we Must sign is a big body receiver like Eric Rodgers. That's what this team has been missing for a number of years.

Will be interesting to see if Dressler returns or if he retires. I'm hoping and mostly expecting Bighill to return. Sounds like JSK is going to try out the new American Football Alliance. Jeffcoat is a free agent and will want a raise. There will be some changes on the OL next year with Geoff Gray ready to step in. I could see one of Hardrick or Neufeld being the odd man out, depending of if we try and start 4 Canadian OL. Will be interesting how the new Football Ops salary cap impacts which coaches are back.

This isn't a situation where we need to "blow it up". The team is on the right track, and I hope Walters can bring back as many pieces as possible. Just need that big body receiver like Eric Rodger/SJ Green.

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Just need that big body receiver like Eric Rodger/SJ Green.

I'd focus on adding a speedy deep threat type receiver over a big body receiver. SJ Green is 6'2, Darvin Adams is 6'2, Eric Rogers is 6'3. There was nobody this season who could really stetch the field.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I'd focus on adding a speedy deep threat type receiver over a big body receiver. SJ Green is 6'2, Darvin Adams is 6'2, Eric Rogers is 6'3. There was nobody this season who could really stetch the field.
Darvin Adams is our speedster who stretches the field. And Darvin cannot do what Eric Rodger sand SJ Green can do. He's not physical enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spock

Commander
Oct 5, 2017
Vulcan
Darvin Adams is our speedster who stretches the field. And Darvin cannot do what Eric Rodger sand SJ Green can do. He's not physical enough.
If Darvin Adams is your team's speedster you need to add another speedster. I suppose the same can be said about him as a physical receiver. Not to pick on him too much as he is a well above average player.

jefferoni

your mother was a hamster
Oct 30, 2013
Winnipeg
Big, hairy knuckles ....
... and nail fungus...

nailfungus.gif

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
No one has brought this up (and personally, I doubt it was a factor), but could the weather/field conditions affected some of our players? I'm thinking that some players aren't going to handle the cold very well, and shoe traction might not have allowed some of our receivers to break free (which in turn might have made LaPolice call for shorter passes).

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I just don't think O'Shea has the stones to be a winner. He is far too conservative (except for occasional ST razzle dazzle) and only gets more conservative as the game goes on. Nichols amplifies that as it seems he fears returning to his picktastic Eskimos days. If we didn't have Harris this would be the Kevin McDougall era (yes I am exaggerating)

Hall's defense is suspect as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad