Post-Game Talk: Bolts 4, Pens 3 (OT): The Fleury Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'm waiting for Rossi's article to come out, citing Sid and Geno's newfound hatred of one another, for Sullivan not putting them on the ice together at 5 on 5.

Sure. :laugh:

Before I forget, does anyone else think if Sid centers Kunitz-Rust and Geno centers BB-Horny OR it's Rust-Sid-Horny and Kunitz-Geno-BB, then Sid and Geno both would've been better off last night?

It takes a real talent to continuously put together the worst among bad choices for line combos for Sid and Geno that Sullivan and Tocchet have.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If you dump Fleury, Kunitz, and Fehr and aren't looking for 2 Okposo ticket additions, it's doable. And, you don't just need to look at free agency. Trades are an option.

I'd be interested to know if you have any targets in mind, but that's better for the 16-17 roster thread. Feel free to answer there.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm done with Fleury and, frankly, Geno has worn thin on me these play offs two. I don't think we would regret trading Fleury.

It'd make us a significantly better team if we used that $5.75 million (minus a little for a capable 1B goalie) elsewhere in the lineup. Like at LW.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Bad angle shot unscreened. It is a very low percentage shot, regardless of how hard or accurate.

It was the perfect shot into the top corner that was a laser. Would it have been nice if he had it? Absolutely. But that's not a bad goal.

My prediction for game 6. MAF starts. Then (according to HF) we either win in spit of him or lose because of him.

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
It was the perfect shot into the top corner that was a laser. Would it have been nice if he had it? Absolutely. But that's not a bad goal.

My prediction for game 6. MAF starts. Then (according to HF) we either win in spit of him or lose because of him.

His positioning makes it a bad goal.

With the skill nhl players have I bet some nhl players can hit that corner from center ice. Would you then say "it's not a bad goal, it's a great shot"

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
It'd make us a significantly better team if we used that $5.75 million (minus a little for a capable 1B goalie) elsewhere in the lineup. Like at LW.

And LW. There are two holes.

Call me betty*

Sheary Baggins
Nov 8, 2015
Cassius, you're not the only to predict MAF would not have a good game. So stop acting like it...its obnoxious.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA

There shouldn't have been ANY net to shoot at where the shot took place. This wasn't a laser from the slot. The shot was taken from where the RW lines up on a faceoff - the defensive RW!

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
If you dump Fleury, Kunitz, and Fehr and aren't looking for 2 Okposo ticket additions, it's doable. And, you don't just need to look at free agency. Trades are an option.

Im sure we could at least get a decent winger for Fleury. Kunitz and Fehr wouldnt bring back much, but would gove us space to sign a 2nd.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Fleury pointed out it was "stupid" that he let that in. Great shot from a terrible angle. There was no threat for a pass and no reason to go down. He misplayed it.

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
There shouldn't have been ANY net to shoot at where the shot took place. This wasn't a laser from the slot. The shot was taken from where the RW lines up on a faceoff - the defensive RW!

Don't forget the almost-goal that went pipe to pipe. He misplayed that one about as bad as he could have, too.

And then the one late that he left hanging on the doorstep.

As I said last night, we were LUCKY to have the game go into OT...such as it was.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

It was a bad angle and his positioning wasn't good. That's a bad goal, even if the shot was a laser.

Fleury was talked about as the team MVP earlier this season when he was standing on his head. No one was saying the Pens were winning in spite of Fleury. So to say this board won't give him credit when he actually plays well is disingenuous.

If the team manages to win despite Fleury playing like last night, then yes the team will have won in spite of him. But if Fleury plays like he was playing earlier this season and the Pens win, he definitely will be getting "pluses" from the fanbase.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Im sure we could at least get a decent winger for Fleury. Kunitz and Fehr wouldnt bring back much, but would gove us space to sign a 2nd.

I don't know about the former. In a dream world, where neither would block the deal and Calgary missed out on Andersen, I'd happily swap Kunitz and Fleury for Frolik and 5.5M of cap space. :D

Fleury pointed out it was "stupid" that he let that in. Great shot from a terrible angle. There was no threat for a pass and no reason to go down. He misplayed it.

He was going down early and giving up the short side space over the shoulder all night. It's a weakness, like Murray and his glove hand.

Except Murray is young. He'll work on it this summer and learn. And he's got the mental fortitude to shrug off a bad goal.

Gunnar Staal

Mar 17, 2004
Thinking about it, the Pens played like crap, but they can still win this series. This is their first true test of the postseason. Everyone speaks about this team's resilience and determination. Well, now is the time to see if it's legit or not.

Win or lose the next game, this team has work to do.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I believe the will go back to Murray. you have the logical thought process to back up there if he doesn't do well. you do not have that with Fleury.

you go down on the horse that got you there.

Shorten the bench too. Sid and Geno should be getting 23-25min this next game. Same with HBK. and you just hope and pray that Letang gets his head straight cause that's your only option.

King_Stannis

Jun 14, 2007
Erie PA, USA
Thinking about it, the Pens played like crap, but they can still win this series. This is their first true test of the postseason. Everyone speaks about this team's resilience and determination. Well, now is the time to see if it's legit or not.

Win or lose the next game, this team has work to do.

One thing I noticed is that this Tampa team reminds me in some ways of the Pens in their 2 cup runs. They may just want it more at this point. I think there are certain Pens (#81 for example) that want it just as bad but based on play and body language I really wonder if some of the other players do. Are they selling out? Are they giving it all on every shift? As I said, Kessel is skating like a man possessed while we have some guys skating like it's an off day practice.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I will be beyond words if MAF gets the call in game 6.

I won't be surprised, but I'll be speechless. There's absolutely zero reasoning behind it (or starting him in game 5 for that matter).

Smasher

Jan 25, 2012
Finland
nemecic.bandcamp.com
We can definitely win this series but it's gonna take a solid 60 minute effort from EVERYONE. We don't need to be lights out but we cannot afford any more meltdowns. We already won 2 in a row this series, we can do it again.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
And a similar camera angle...
Murray vs Fleury...

You can see Murray moves across to match the angle of the shooter.
MAF just sits there and shrugs his shoulder.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The couple extra inches in height can make a lot of impact. That might be the difference between the shot glancing off the top of the chest protector and going into the netting, or hitting the crossbar and then down into the back of the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad