Post-Game Talk: Bolts 4, Pens 3 (OT): The Fleury Special

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Those two XXX guys better be legit. Hagelin or honestly better type of impact. If you want to construct a team with 3 scoring lines, then make them scoring lines, not lines with okay guys centered by Sid and Geno.

One of them better be legit. The other I'm okay with letting the kids play it out for the 1st 40 games and see if we need an upgrade at deadline. I'd obviously prefer to get 2 legit guys right away, but that might be tough to do.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I think the 4 line model worked in earlier rounds but for whatever reason, the depth lines aren't producing like they were. It's time to shorten the bench and ride the star players. I'd keep HBK together, but load up with Sid-Geno at least every other cycle.

Yeah. Our 4th line has stopped producing as well. It was a big part of our success down the stretch too. I don't think it's been bad, but it would pop in a couple goals every few games. Hasn't done that in awhile.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He certainly should be getting more scrutiny for that but we were up 3-2 with 3 minutes left. We played well enough to win the game. Our goaltender and Letang had other plans.

Maybe Sully should coach to go for the jugular. Or, used them for a spark. You know, like games 2 and 3.

This isn't to absolve Fleury and Letang. They are goats 1 and 2. But, as far as I'm concerned, Sully is goat 3 last night.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Go read the thread yesterday. Everyone cheered the Fleury move except me.. I said it would be a disaster and I was right on the money.

If you hate reading good analysis from a guy who usually gets it right, add me to your ignore list

"Hey guys you know that goalie who almost never comes through for us in big games? Yeah I think he's not gonna come through again"

We're all witnessing the second coming of Nostradamus right here.

I also find it highly unlikely/improbable that you were the only person saying starting Fleury was a bad move.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with the idea of trading Fleury. We're finally in a position where it's actually doable, as opposed to in the past where there wasn't a better option available to us. I'm just not as sure as you are that the FO will go that route.

I would've repeated that verbatim until last night.

Hypothetical; If Murray plays and wins games 6 and 7, is there one single shred of reasoning behind keeping MAF beyond next year's deadline (at the latest)?

I don't think what Murray does tomorrow and hopefully beyond changes Fleury being moved this summer. Last night was like a married couple admitting it's over.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
"Hey guys you know that goalie who almost never comes through for us in big games? Yeah I think he's not gonna come through again"

We're all witnessing the second coming of Nostradamus right here.

I also find it highly unlikely/improbable that you were the only person saying starting Fleury was a bad move.

:laugh: I've never seen someone brag so much about stating the obvious like cassius does.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Last night, I called it Bylsma like arrogance. Just because something works most of the time, you assume it's going to work all of the time. You could see in the Caps series that wasn't the case.

Your call is fine. I mean, they barely played together in game 4. They took 1 17 second shift at ES in game 5. The arrogance or obstinence or whatever you want to call it is dumbfounding.

I'm waiting for Rossi's article to come out, citing Sid and Geno's newfound hatred of one another, for Sullivan not putting them on the ice together at 5 on 5.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Maybe Sully should coach to go for the jugular. Or, used them for a spark. You know, like games 2 and 3.

This isn't to absolve Fleury and Letang. They are goats 1 and 2. But, as far as I'm concerned, Sully is goat 3 last night.

I'm fine with that assessment.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I guess when you're rarely right about anything you better hang your hat on anything you can.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
MAF definitely wasnt sharp but you would almost expect that. Murray let in some bad goals but I never thought he overly **** the bed. The Pens should have ridden him.

Letang was easily the worst player on the ice. Hard to watch bad. I dont get it. His game is so different than the first few rounds that you really have to wonder which player youre foing to get on any given night.

Sid and Malkin continually get shut down when the Pens need them the most. With things being so even 5 on 5 they have to own the PP.

If the Pens lose this series its the poor PP that Ill blame first.

The PP had a chance to put the Bolts away last night and go up 3-0, and Phil Kessel was damn close to doing just that. Instead they didn't score, and Tampa scored right away. That was the biggest momentum shift in the game.

Letang's game was hideous last night. I suspect he was trying to do too much in Daley's absence. Every single goal scored for Tampa, Letang is the closest Dman, and missed opportunities to get stick on pucks before they shot. I suspect he'll bounce back, but that was a hard game to watch for him.

Sid and Malkin are still playing with spare parts. I like Rust, as a 3rd line guy, but I don't know that they're a great fit. Hornqvist has been even worse with the puck than normal since hurting his hand, and Bennett isn't even close to game speed. Given the choice between Bennett and Sheary idk who I'd go with. Sheary has the speed, but he has been awful this series. Way too many missed opportunities, and there have been a lot of instances where Sid has looked frustrated. I think I would put Kunitz back with Sid, he has actually had a pretty good series. Bennett and Malkin have had chemistry in the past so maybe go with that swap.

Fleury starting was a bad idea from the get go. It boggles my mind that they dusted Murray the first chance they got. His numbers haven't been as strong the past few games, but he didn't show me a single thing that merited a benching. Especially for a guy who has seen 20 min of game time since March. dumb dumb dumb.

Last night was a downer, but this Pens team has been more resilient than Pens teams of past. It'll be hard to beat the Bolts back to back, but its certainly do able.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Let me shine a little light on Sid the Kid.....

Sid has 13 points in 16 games these playoffs, not too shabby.

But upon further review.

8 of those points are on the PP, meaning that over 60% of his scoring is on the pp.

Career playoffs stats that ratio has been historically hovering around 20%.

What does it all mean??? Sid is not producing 5v5. That's the facts jack.

Can someone please once again make the point that Horny is the "ideal" winger for SID?

Because if that last statement is the truth, then SID is the problem, 100%.

You can't have it both ways. Either Sid and Horny don't work, or the problem is SID.

There's a 3rd option. No longer in his early 20's, with the game called differently, giving Sid a guy who's a second liner because he's plays a tough game but otherwise can't make a play and plays at a bad pace for Sid and a revolving door of dog excrement on the LW isn't just asking Sid to make due with less . . . it's setting him up to fail.

The only way he's going to have a chance before next year, when you hope JR finishes the build of a LEGIT 3 scoring lines team is to put Sid with Hagelin and Horny and Geno with Bones and Kessel OR play Sid and Geno together.

The truth is the only one out of Sid or Geno who ever dominated a top defensive team without top linemates in the playoffs was Geno in 2009 against Detroit, and that only happened because Datsyuk was hurt. Sid last dominated against a top defensive team in the playoffs in 2008 with Hossa and Dupuis.

THERE is your difference between Sid and Toews. Toews needs Hossa AND a Saad caliber guy on the other wing. Give Sid a top winger on one side, and he can make due with a Dupuis. THAT is what making due with less is supposed to mean. Not making due with ****.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY

How many losses like that does it take to learn that sitting back does not work for this team? This team is not built to defend, its built to attack. Play to your strengths ffs.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
It depends who the goalie is. I have no concerns about Murray's "psyche". Fleury's, however, is always a concern. I think if you go back to Murray in game 6, Fleury's time in Pittsburgh could be done.

Im relatively certain Murray doesnt even have a psyche. After that bad Drouin goal in game 2 he just shook it off and stopped everything else. We need that calm demeanor in net. Not erratic Fleury.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Geno made the third goal happen.
Sid made the second goal happen.

With three minutes left, it was enough.

Actually, I blame Sid and Geno there. With Fleury in net, they should've known it wasn't enough. :popcorn:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Well, time to step up then Geno. A 3 or 4 point night would sure as **** help the cause.

With Kunitz and Rust as permanent linemates, nary a 5 on 5 shift with Sid, Letang running the PP, maybe 18 minutes of ice time, and who knows what leg or conditioning issue to go with that bum elbow?

Yeah, this is going to end well for him . . .

lastcupever75

Phive cups PA.
May 14, 2009
yes, he left a little too much room at the top...but...anytime you can hit the cross bar and have the puck bounce in it's a great snipe......also that angle wasn't as bad as you seem to think

So if someone can get the puck under the crossbar from center ice it's a great snipe???

Bull****. if a goalie is In good position it's an easy save. Like the 1st Tampa goal should have been

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I'm done with Fleury and, frankly, Geno has worn thin on me these play offs two. I don't think we would regret trading Fleury.

BeautiPhil

Toronto Sun Model
Nov 23, 2010
Virginia
Fleury couldve honestly let in 8 last night if it wasnt for some fortunate bounces. The callahan post, the double post shots, the bounce off his shoulder that trickled through the crease, carle missing a wide open net, drouin missing a wide open net, and another trickler that i only vaguely remember, and a bad rebound that lovejoy quickly cleared with unbelievable reflexes.

He was off his angle and shaky all night. Sullivan shouldve recognized and yanked him after goal 2.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
One of them better be legit. The other I'm okay with letting the kids play it out for the 1st 40 games and see if we need an upgrade at deadline. I'd obviously prefer to get 2 legit guys right away, but that might be tough to do.

If you dump Fleury, Kunitz, and Fehr and aren't looking for 2 Okposo ticket additions, it's doable. And, you don't just need to look at free agency. Trades are an option.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Would be nice to see Sully finally "go for it", just once.

He was wrong with his choice of MAF in net. He was wrong to put our Conn Smyth winning C on the third line against this opponent. It's not too late, but he does need to be right from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad