Bolland next contract

Tyler Biggs*

Bolland is a BIG GAME PLAYER. It's why he's money in the playoffs and always seems to elevate his game against the best opposition. Bozak out, Lupul out, Penguins in town...no problem. He was the best player at both ends of the ice last night. Still can't believe Nonis landed him at such a bargain. You'd think GMs would be knocking Bowman's door down when they heard he was being shopped...I love it!

Tyler Biggs*

He was traded, not signed. His contract is up after this season and it’s looking like the Leafs are going to have to find some way to pay him once that happens.

Bolland isn’t expected to produce at this level, but is. Grabovski WAS expected to produce at this level but didn’t. It’s the difference between a proven champion and a whiner.

Bozak and Grabo decisions had nothing to do with each other. Grabo was bought out to make room for Kadri, Franson, Fraser, Bernier, etc…Way more important players than a 3rd line center who has no business being on a 3rd line in the first place and is too busy sulking about his ice time rather than trying to play better to earn the ice time he wants. If the Leafs kept Grabo over Bozak there would be no one to take faceoffs. Bozak has been one of the best face off guys in the NHL for the last few years.

Bolland was a hell of a trade for Nonis. Got him for draft picks....nice!

Last edited by a moderator:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Bolland's not gonna keep up this level of production, but he's definitely put himself in line for a Bozak-level contract.

Mr Scarface*

Bolland is a BIG GAME PLAYER. It's why he's money in the playoffs and always seems to elevate his game against the best opposition. Bozak out, Lupul out, Penguins in town...no problem. He was the best player at both ends of the ice last night. Still can't believe Nonis landed him at such a bargain. You'd think GMs would be knocking Bowman's door down when they heard he was being shopped...I love it!
I love this post! Passion! And Bolland, what a player and a STEAL!!! Good for you sir! Go for it man!

WestCoastLeafs

I beleaf
Jun 10, 2013
Not hating on anyone, but I really don't know how you can look Bolland in the eyes and say "we believe Clarkson makes a bigger contribution to the club than you do". Having said that, I do think his contract (if he stays) will be smaller and for shorter term - something like $4M, 4-5 years.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
I think he'll be looking for around 4. I'd give him up to Bozak money if the cap goes up and we have enough space.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Not hating on anyone, but I really don't know how you can look Bolland in the eyes and say "we believe Clarkson makes a bigger contribution to the club than you do". Having said that, I do think his contract (if he stays) will be smaller and for shorter term - something like $4M, 4-5 years.

Despite the fact that I think Clarkson is grossly overpaid, he has scored 30 goals in this league and had 15 in 48 last year. Dave Bolland has a career high 47 points (5 years ago), and was incapable of holding down a #2C position despite ample opportunity to do so.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
I think we need to let Kulemin go or trade him to keep Bolland and Phanuef. This trade deadline will be verrry interesting

if the Leafs are in the playoff hunt come the deadline, look for players to be coming in rather than going out. I doubt any players are traded for picks during the regular season, unless they are out of the playoff race.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I think if we can get him in and around 4 that would be a major coup given the way he has played!

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012

22.5 over 5 (4.5m)

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I think he'll price himself out of town tbh. Between him,Kadri and Bozak, there's going to be too much money locked up into 3 centers. I'm thinking a few years down the road of course, when Kadri is making serious coin, that will be in the back on Nonis' mind come July.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
This thread is so funny considering before the start of the year many on here felt that we should not resign him and that if so we could get him for less then his current contract.

Bolland will get resigned.....the amount will depend on when the contract gets done....the longer we wait the more it will cost us.

6 years at 4.125M

Jul 10, 2003
KW
To me, this all comes down to the reason Chicago deemed him available -- he wasn't good enough to centre their 2nd line. Dave Bolland is one of the most inconsistent offensive players in the league.

Yeah, he's off to a great start with 10 points in 12 games, but let's not forget, he's played nearly 350 games in the league already. His career best, was 47 points (4 years ago) and he had only 14 last year. Chances are, his production will tail off as he finds his way into that shutdown role he played so well in Chicago when Bozak returns.

47 points as a 23 year old and that's his peak? He's been held back by injuries a bit, but he could be another Lupul in regards to living up to his potential in his later 20's. I think you're selling his offensive upside short...just my opinion but I think if he stays healthy can be a legit top 6 center, great move by Nonis here.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
We can be like Boston, no bonafide #1 center but they roll with 3 good centers, I like how things are shaping up long term:

Bolland is actually kind of similar to Krecji, plays excellent two-way hockey, plays pretty physical (despite both of them not being that big), and seem to increase point production come playoff time (excluding Bolland in last year's playoffs he didn't put up too many points), Bolland also happened to do an excellent job defending Krecji in the playoffs as well :nod:

Faustus

Jun 21, 2012
Can he please be the Leafs' first hometown discount in...I don't even know how long?

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Another must sign, if we could be guaranteed he can stay healthy I would hope a 4.2 x 5 will suffice.

Still better than a 5.5 caphit we had last year for our #3C.

WHLfollower

Sep 16, 2013
Dave Bolland is only 27yrs old and he is from Toronto. I do believe we can get a discount on Dave like we did we Clarkson (kinda, I am not a fan of his contract but I REALLY like the guy). I am thinking he may sign in this ball park figure which would be 4mil to 4.750mil a year for 3-5years I hope he does not receive a no trade clause. Which is some what cap friendly, considering we still of JML on our rooster I still think we can cap dump him at discount 50% off (holding 50% of his salary). We have speedy Ray...I hope we can sign him for 2mil a year for 2-3yrs if stays on his current track.

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
With the way Bolland is playing does anyone actually see him taking less than bozak/clarkson?He could be looking at 5 mil a year if he keeps this play up, can leafs afford him?

not if we pay meathead 7.1X7

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Why are people making Bolland a #3C when he was a #2C on a Cup winning team?

Bolland is a very smart hockey player. He's put up points in the OHL, he's had a career high of 47 points in his 2nd year as a Blackhawk and now with the Leafs...he should be a second line center.

He's really not getting lucky, he has made some very great passes and has the IQ to make some great plays.

Bolland is a ~50 point #2C that can also shut down opponents.

He also produces at a #2C rate in the PLAYOFFS. 43 points in 67 games.

Bolland failed as #2C and finished the year as 4th line C

Handzus was #2C on cup winning team

Anyone else think the Hawks are kicking themselves for letting Bolland go?

Sure hope Nonis does the smart thing and resigns Bolland!!

Bickell + Pirri on roster > Bolland on 4th line

Its good to see Bolly doing well in Toronto ,, But he had stretches like this (With Havlat in 08-09) and with Hossa (2010-11). Problem is he eventually cooled off or got injured

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
not if we pay meathead 7.1X7
He's already taking up $6.5 million, a $600k upgrade isn't going to kill us. Regardless, we'll probably see Bolland receive a Bozak-esque contract. I have a feeling our core will be:

JVR - Bozak - Kessel
X - Bolland- Clarkson
Lupul - Kadri - RW
LW - C ( McClement?) - RW

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - RD
LD - RD
Fraser

I think Ranger is going to be resigned at a low-cost long-term contract while providing #3 performance. Franson, Kulemin and possibly Gunnarsson may end up leaving. In fact, even if Gunnars is around next season, he probably won't be after his third year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad