Waived: Bogosian on Unconditional Waivers - Leafs, Pens, Canes & Jets interested if he clears.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Thy still get dinged with any sort of cap hits?
No. This happened with Berglund as well and the cap hit was eliminated since it was the player's decision not to report.

Its likely a moot point however, because its unlikely the Sabres will do anything with that cap space this season and his contract was up at the end of the year anyways.

Reactions: Curufinwe

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
So this guy has the same agent as mitch marner

Darren Ferris who is ALL about the money, and he couldn't convince his client to take the money and just report.

man this bogosian has way to much pride. He would have been making roughly 75K a game in the minors.
75 fricken grand......

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Buffalo fans, is he still an NHL caliber defensemen? Does he fit in a bottom-pairing role on a team still?
Injuries have really taken their toll. He’s lost his speed/mobility (it looks like he has trouble turning his hips to go from skating forward to backwards and vise versa).

He was getting walked a lot. Guys just skating right around him, so he started clutching/grabbing/slashing a lot.

He may be ok as a physical, shot blocking #6/7 in a limited role.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
So this guy has the same agent as mitch marner

Darren Ferris who is ALL about the money, and he couldn't convince his client to take the money and just report.

man this bogosian has way to much pride. He would have been making roughly 75K a game in the minors.
75 fricken grand......
There is more money to be made by going to another team and proving he can still play in the NHL. As it would vastly improve his chance of getting another contract.
If he finished the season in the AHL and plays unhappy and uninspired. At best he gets a PTO in the summer.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
There is more money to be made by going to another team and proving he can still play in the NHL. As it would vastly improve his chance of getting another contract.
If he finished the season in the AHL and plays unhappy and uninspired. At best he gets a PTO in the summer.

Highly debatable. He is throwing away roughly 1.8 Million dollars as of right now. He'll be veteran minimum or something like that, at a prorated rate Sportsnet was estimating. He is going to be losing money, and is risking money in the hopes he can parley this into another contract.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Can't they wait until after the deadline to rob him off playoff chances?
Maybe not worth the risk that he reports but not a good example if team's can tamper with our players and then sign them for nothing. Not that bogo is worth half his contract...
Why would he agree to it at that point? Why wouldn't he just say - "Ok buy me out in the summer".

This is a mutually terminated contract. W/o his consent it ain't happening.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Does this guy have anything left? Would he be a decent fit on a contenders bottom pairing or #7 D?

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Should be a good pickup for Arizona. I can see Bogosian has scored this season.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
So Toronto is rumored to be talking to Buffalo about Ristolainen, and also linked to Bogosian as a free agent.

So if they pay for Risto, and get Bogo free....

That's a "buy one get one" deal!

Reactions: JKG33

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
If the Leafs dont add depth on the right side, im fine with him being signed for 700k.
He would purely be an insurance policy. As of now the right side depth is..

Barrie - Might be traded
Holl - Less than 100 games experience
Ceci - Currently injured till playoffs, maybe through a few games
Liljgren - Rookie
Marincin - AAAA player (great in AHL, not quite an NHLer)

Risk is low, even if he is just a stopgap
IF, and its a big IF, the Leafs look at this, I would expect them to make a contract move first as they are at 49 (should always leave room for College Free Agents)
Something like Schmaltz + Harpur for 1 equally valued AHLer.

Reactions: smitty10

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
side note.

So why hasn't big buff been terminated yet ? do they need to waive him first ?
They would need to waive, but I think there is more to it than that.

The only way this works is that both parties are agreeing to walk away from it. Importantly, Bogo is agreeing to walk away from all the money still owed to him (ball parking it, it should be about $1,419,354.84). Buffalo gets no cap penalty, they just walk away from it, but Bogosian also just walks away from it.

As for Byfuglien, either the Jets don't want to lose the asset (either feel he should come back and play for them and/or feel they can get something of even minimal value if they instead trade him) or Byfuglien does not want to dissolve the contract (either, understandably, wants the money committed to him, and/or is willing to figure it out and come back to the Jets at some point). I'm going to assume it a matter of Byfuglien doesn't want to lose all that money, because he feels the Jets are to blame, based on the stories coming from the situation, though I imagine Winnipeg would prefer not to lose him for nothing also.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Does Bogosian have to clear waivers under a new contract before he can play with a team?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Why would he agree to it at that point? Why wouldn't he just say - "Ok buy me out in the summer".

This is a mutually terminated contract. W/o his consent it ain't happening.
My hate for Bogo clouded my judgement for a second or two there.

Reactions: Chainshot

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
I have a decent feeling Ottawa will try and sign him, he grew up a Sens fan and Ottawa just lost Goloubef to waivers and only gave 5D on the roster. Boro is still week to week.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Maybe Dubas can convince him to come on as a #7 with opportunity for regular playing time if he performs.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
They would need to waive, but I think there is more to it than that.

The only way this works is that both parties are agreeing to walk away from it. Importantly, Bogo is agreeing to walk away from all the money still owed to him (ball parking it, it should be about $1,419,354.84). Buffalo gets no cap penalty, they just walk away from it, but Bogosian also just walks away from it.

As for Byfuglien, either the Jets don't want to lose the asset (either feel he should come back and play for them and/or feel they can get something of even minimal value if they instead trade him) or Byfuglien does not want to dissolve the contract (either, understandably, wants the money committed to him, and/or is willing to figure it out and come back to the Jets at some point). I'm going to assume it a matter of Byfuglien doesn't want to lose all that money, because he feels the Jets are to blame, based on the stories coming from the situation, though I imagine Winnipeg would prefer not to lose him for nothing also.

Byfug lost all this season's money when he refused to begin the on-ice portion of his rehab in Jan.
Chevy is just doing his job trying to get anything in return instead of just letting Byfug become an UFA before the roster freeze.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00