Waived: Bogosian on Unconditional Waivers - Leafs, Pens, Canes & Jets interested if he clears.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Byfug lost all this season's money when he refused to begin the on-ice portion of his rehab in Jan.
Chevy is just doing his job trying to get anything in return instead of just letting Byfug become an UFA before the roster freeze.
I couldn't remember if he was suspended without pay, or just without cap hit.

Even still though, a termination would be walking away from the $7.6M owed to him next year too. Doubt he'd get another contract that size, even on a 1 year.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
I just heard Pierre McGuire on TSN690 Montreal sports radio and he thinks Bogo ends up with the Leafs.
I wouldn’t be surprised.
Our D wasn’t great before all the injuries. He wouldn’t have to move his family far and the Leafs are a big stage to showcase yourself for a future contract.

That said While he is probably a better player than Marincin, I’m not sure another player with a questionable complete level is really what the Leafs need.

Reactions: qqaz

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
I wouldn’t be surprised.
Our D wasn’t great before all the injuries. He wouldn’t have to move his family far and the Leafs are a big stage to showcase yourself for a future contract.

That said While he is probably a better player than Marincin, I’m not sure another player with a questionable complete level is really what the Leafs need.

....Well this may be his most important contract of his career, if he cannot get himself to compete now, then he may have well hang them up.

Is it his effort that has been lacking? Or he just has not been good?

Reactions: Kevbeau

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
....Well this may be his most important contract of his career, if he cannot get himself to compete now, then he may have well hang them up.

Is it his effort that has been lacking? Or he just has not been good?
Bogo still gives an honest effort, might even have some decent shifts, its the inconsistency and bad shifts over the course of 60min which kills ya. Same IQ/slow decision making he's had since the beginning, and now add in all of the injuries, tighter hips, lack of burst around his own net...idk, MAYBE he'd be better than Marancin on his last chance. I just don't think he's an answer for what ails you.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I wouldn’t be surprised.

The one thing I could never question about Bogosian was his compete level. If he was healthy, he brought it every night. What he brought would change on a nightly basis, but he never mailed a game in or anything. He's always physical and willing to stand up for teammates.

The issue with Bogo this year is that he thinks he's much, much better than he really is. He wants to be this free-wheeling, puck carrying guy and he can't do that anymore (questionable if he ever really could...). If he can accept that he's a physical, stay-at-home, shot-blocking defenseman................maybe he can find a home as a 6/7 guy.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I just heard Pierre McGuire on TSN690 Montreal sports radio and he thinks Bogo ends up with the Leafs.

For the league min....Why not? Its not like he's gonna cost any assets. Might as well give it a shot and see if anything pans out. If not, just waive him

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Bogo still gives an honest effort, might even have some decent shifts, its the inconsistency and bad shifts over the course of 60min which kills ya. Same IQ/slow decision making he's had since the beginning, and now add in all of the injuries, tighter hips, lack of burst around his own net...idk, MAYBE he'd be better than Marancin on his last chance. I just don't think he's an answer for what ails you.

The one thing I could never question about Bogosian was his compete level. If he was healthy, he brought it every night. What he brought would change on a nightly basis, but he never mailed a game in or anything. He's always physical and willing to stand up for teammates.

The issue with Bogo this year is that he thinks he's much, much better than he really is. He wants to be this free-wheeling, puck carrying guy and he can't do that anymore (questionable if he ever really could...). If he can accept that he's a physical, stay-at-home, shot-blocking defenseman................maybe he can find a home as a 6/7 guy.

I am not so sure about that “gives an honest effort” part any longer. Plenty of times he has made absolutely zero effort to get back into the play, allowing goals to be scored while he is barely registering a pulse or showing an ounce of urgency. That was the infuriating thing about his return - the entitlement of how bad his play was and how little effort he was putting in and he STILL asked to be traded after coming out of the lineup.

He might be a great guy off the ice and beloved in the locker room but that? That is not a good teammate.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
If the Leafs dont add depth on the right side, im fine with him being signed for 700k.
He would purely be an insurance policy. As of now the right side depth is..

Barrie - Might be traded
Holl - Less than 100 games experience
Ceci - Currently injured till playoffs, maybe through a few games
Liljgren - Rookie
Marincin - AAAA player (great in AHL, not quite an NHLer)

Risk is low, even if he is just a stopgap
IF, and its a big IF, the Leafs look at this, I would expect them to make a contract move first as they are at 49 (should always leave room for College Free Agents)
Something like Schmaltz + Harpur for 1 equally valued AHLer.

How dare you! Don't you know that all of the Leafs players are AllStars and will wind up in the Hall of Fame?!?!! You should know better than to accurately describe the players on your team. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Morrison

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Leafs are in real trouble if they need Bogo. Lol
He is probably still better than Marincin. The Leafs have a couple injuries on D in Rielly and Ceci. It's that time of year where these depth moves are made. It might not be the worst thing in the world to have him around to play the likes of the Bruins and Caps, tougher teams in the event of injury. It's probably 700K and no assets lost with Sandin and Liljegren he may be 9th on the depth chart come the playoffs.

I feel Boro might cost more, a mid round pick. But, I do like his game. He always makes an impact physically. He could be re-signed if he played up to expectations to play the 6-7 role in Toronto next season.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
We already in trouble playing marincin. At least Bogo can try beat someones ass in while sucking, unlike marincin

i think you will be disappointed. You all keep saying he can’t be worse but idk! I’d love for him to play some playoff games though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->