Rumor: Boeser to Minnesota?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
No. He's been shooting down Boeser to the Wild rumors for years.

He has done 3 or 4 features on Boeser(His dad one, one during the Van/Wild playoff series, one during Boesers debut which was against the Wild).

Wild fans keep mentioning him, other reporters keep mentioning it(probably Hankenson laundering).

But you can probably find 4 dozen of these tweets in the last two to three years

And yet it keeps coming up, with his name attached. I must be misremembering though, as you're right, I'm only finding shoot down pieces from some years ago. Maybe I'm associating his continual referencing of the rumours as some kind of tacit condoning of it or something, despite the literal message.

Features are one thing, I wouldn't count that as hounding after a player.

Khusnutdinov is having one of the best seasons for a 20 year old in the KHL and plays center. He's been underrated most of his career.
That's fair. I'm not specifically pushing for his inclusion, more pointing out that the opinion of him being top 50 isn't universal. If he keeps trending that well, awesome, these lists aren't to be taken as gospel anyway. Hell, they have three Canucks prospects listed, Rathbone, Lekkerimaki and Karlsson, and I'd think most of our fans would maybe have Rathbone on a top 100 list, league wide.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
And yet it keeps coming up, with his name attached. I must be misremembering though, as you're right, I'm only finding shoot down pieces from some years ago. Maybe I'm associating his continual referencing of the rumours as some kind of tacit condoning of it or something, despite the literal message.

Features are one thing, I wouldn't count that as hounding after a player.

This article is different and certainly newsworthy though. Boesers agent saying he has permission to try work out a deal with Minnesota, then mentioning specific Wild players.

That's newsworthy, but doesn't negate his countless other reporting that it really is unlikely to happen given the realities on the ground.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
This article is different and certainly newsworthy though. Boesers agent saying he has permission to try work out a deal with Minnesota, then mentioning specific Wild players.

That's newsworthy, but doesn't negate his countless other reporting that it really is unlikely to happen given the realities on the ground.
This...was also old news, wasn't it? I thought this was a new development before Christmas, but did I misremember that?

I don't doubt it's unrealistic, that cap crunch next season...it'll be painful. If something can be sorted, I am not against the idea of Boeser going to his home state, but there is also not a lot that can be done at this stage.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
This...was also old news, wasn't it? I thought this was a new development before Christmas, but did I misremember that?

I don't doubt it's unrealistic, that cap crunch next season...it'll be painful. If something can be sorted, I am not against the idea of Boeser going to his home state, but there is also not a lot that can be done at this stage.
I'm not sure if it was leaked before that he had permission to talk.

But Hankenson was on Russo's podcast this week and got into it in depth, naming specific Wild players like Greenway and a handful of others and commenting specifically how he was talking to Guerin about trying to make it work.

If there was a mention of his permission before, it probably wasn't as in depth or straight from the horses mouth like this was.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
"Hey Toronto, there is no light at the end of the tunnel. If you get past Tampa, some-the-crazy-how, round two ends in 4. Good luck!"

I'm not sure if it was leaked before that he had permission to talk.

But Hankenson was on Russo's podcast this week and got into it in depth, naming specific Wild players like Greenway and a handful of others and commenting specifically how he was talking to Guerin about trying to make it work.

If there was a mention of his permission before, it probably wasn't as in depth or straight from the horses mouth like this was.
I thought it was, not so much a leak, but a statement on our end, that Boeser's representation had permission to speak to other teams, and Minnesota (among other teams) was a part of those discussions. That was back before Boeser started to right the ship, before Boudreau was cut loose, and before Horvat was gone though. I'd feel the news via Russo is either delayed, or there has been at least sustained interest since the original break then, probably being reheated due to the closing door of the trade deadline.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I would argue that Faber+1st is a much better package compared to, for arguments sake, Khusnutdinov+2nd, even in this year's draft. I mean if we're making a tier list, I'd have Faber(or Rossi or Lambos or Wallstedt, for that matter) as A tier, and a 1st beats a 2nd. Maybe I'm undervaluing Ohgren, I suppose, then? As I said, I am not as familiar with the Wild prospect pool as I am the Canucks. Not that I am pushing for his specific inclusion, but is Ohgren closer to Firstov/Peart/Hunt or Faber/Rossi/Wallstedt/Lambos in the eyes of Wild fans? Hell, would one of the latter four be available instead?

A second and Firstov isn't a bad base, that next prospect would have to be a good C or defensive D prospect though, ideally right handed. Again, Goligoski can be included, but doesn't count as said prospect. If you feel he can return an asset elsewhere, Godspeed. With limited numbers of players signed into next season on the Minnesota roster, I threw out Hartman as a possible name, but 3C isn't exactly an easy or cheap role to fill when you're missing one. Are there other slighter "cap dumps" (for lack of a better term) other then Goligoski, Greenway and Fleury? Or are they it? I'd rather take a player compared to retaining.

Lastly, Marshall Warren has nothing that really brings any interest from the Canucks team I'm apparently running, we already have Rathbone that we're threatening to overcook due to our LHD, offensive D overload. Peart and Hunt were kind of included as "B prospects" as I understood them to be, so I'm glad both of us keyed into Firstov and Khusnutdinov and Ohgren as top choices.
I'm one of those posters that thinks that Khusnutdinov is better than Rossi. So that's where I'm operating from. Rossi for Boeser would be a non starter, so from my perspective so is Khusnutdinov.

As for Ohgren, I'm not sure what to think of him yet. I admittedly have not seen a ton of him play. I think Minnesota's scouting team had him 10 or 11 on their big board with Yurov at 9. They played "games" at the draft by drafting Ohgren first, despite his lower ranking on their board, and hoping that Yurov would drop due to the Russia stuff. Obviously, it worked out. I think a lot of fans have questions about taking Ohgren over Snuggerud. Snuggerud has been having a killer season at the University of Minnesota.

Goligoski, Greenway, and Fleury are basically it for "bad" cap. With Minnesota's dead cap, it's forced them to be almost perfect in the cap game. I'd say Guerin has done a fairly decent job of that. Though those three contracts have come in the last year...

Can't say they would be open to trading Hartman. He's our 1C right now, which is exactly why a center prospect should be a no go for the Wild. If we did include him, we would need a center coming back like Raty and I know that is a no go.

Perhaps a better discussion would be someone like Garland or Beauvillier. Either of these players available?

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'm one of those posters that thinks that Khusnutdinov is better than Rossi. So that's where I'm operating from. Rossi for Boeser would be a non starter, so from my perspective so is Khusnutdinov.

As for Ohgren, I'm not sure what to think of him yet. I admittedly have not seen a ton of him play. I think Minnesota's scouting team had him 10 or 11 on their big board with Yurov at 9. They played "games" at the draft by drafting Ohgren first, despite his lower ranking on their board, and hoping that Yurov would drop due to the Russia stuff. Obviously, it worked out. I think a lot of fans have questions about taking Ohgren over Snuggerud. Snuggerud has been having a killer season at the University of Minnesota.

Goligoski, Greenway, and Fleury are basically it for "bad" cap. With Minnesota's dead cap, it's forced them to be almost perfect in the cap game. I'd say Guerin has done a fairly decent job of that. Though those three contracts have come in the last year...

Can't say they would be open to trading Hartman. He's our 1C right now, which is exactly why a center prospect should be a no go for the Wild. If we did include him, we would need a center coming back like Raty and I know that is a no go.

Perhaps a better discussion would be someone like Garland or Beauvillier. Either of these players available?
Fair play regarding the prospects, thanks for the background.

Is Hartman? I assumed Eriksson-Ek, teaches me to make assumptions without watching a lot of a team. I'm glad we know Raty being included is a no go, he's our only C prospect I have any faith in, and we just got him. Maybe Karlsson, but he's still worth more to us then what we'd get in trade. This is why I was curious regarding Rossi and Khusnutdinov, we're short on C prospects.

Garland definitely is, although again, we're not looking to dump him on the cheap. His lower cap hit hopefully means no retention, he's a better 5 on 5 player then...well most of our guys...and he's got a different role, more of a pest then an offensive catalyst. He also seems to mesh well with any C he plays with, if he was a little bigger we might not want to move him.

I personally have no reason to be attached to Beauvillier, but he's even cheaper cap wise, and has scored 4-3-7/8 games during his latest heater. We've been warned about his inconsistency, but even if he goes cold for the next 8, he's probably not going to be cheap either.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Fair play regarding the prospects, thanks for the background.

Is Hartman? I assumed Eriksson-Ek, teaches me to make assumptions without watching a lot of a team. I'm glad we know Raty being included is a no go, he's our only C prospect I have any faith in, and we just got him. Maybe Karlsson, but he's still worth more to us then what we'd get in trade. This is why I was curious regarding Rossi and Khusnutdinov, we're short on C prospects.

Garland definitely is, although again, we're not looking to dump him on the cheap. His lower cap hit hopefully means no retention, he's a better 5 on 5 player then...well most of our guys...and he's got a different role, more of a pest then an offensive catalyst. He also seems to mesh well with any C he plays with, if he was a little bigger we might not want to move him.

I personally have no reason to be attached to Beauvillier, but he's even cheaper cap wise, and has scored 4-3-7/8 games during his latest heater. We've been warned about his inconsistency, but even if he goes cold for the next 8, he's probably not going to be cheap either.

Hartman is our "1C" in that for whatever reason he fits better with Kaprizov. When they've tried JEE it hasn't clicked. Hartman basically realizes it's his job to get the puck in Kaprizov and Zuccerellos hands, and be prepared to shoot.

JEE is very concentrated on the 200 foot game so he's less likely to ignore the other aspects and just being prepared to shoot.

JEE is our best Center and it's not particularly close.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Hartman is our "1C" in that for whatever reason he fits better with Kaprizov. When they've tried JEE it hasn't clicked. Hartman basically realizes it's his job to get the puck in Kaprizov and Zuccerellos hands, and be prepared to shoot.

JEE is very concentrated on the 200 foot game so he's less likely to ignore the other aspects and just being prepared to shoot.

JEE is our best Center and it's not particularly close.
Hey, so long as its working. It's the same set up we have with Schenn working incredibly well with Hughes. Would we call him a top pairing D, or even our best RHD? Hell no, but he has worked very well for us playing with one, because he knows what his role is.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
It means you won’t win or even like a deal for Boeser. Vancouver holds no cards to drive any value here.
We won't know that until the trade is made, your running mostly on assumptions here, we have no idea how much the Canucks are willing to retain, or if they are willing to retain at all, all we know that is that at full price it's next to impossible to move that contract, with retention who knows.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
They greatly underestimated how much boeser would decline.
Boeser’s best NHL season was his first one. About 5 years ago. He’s been in decline ever since.

Did suffer a bad back injury a few years ago that probably robbed him of some athletic ability.

Golden Gophers 4649

Minnesota Hockey Fan
Jun 15, 2015
Minneapolis
Well, Hunt is injured, for the third year in a row. VAN might want a D prospect who can stay healthy. Also a RHD. Spacek might be more appealing.
Yeah, he might be.

Trade Boeser to the Wild and retain 50% for Greenway and Spacek and our fanbase will pray really hard the Canucks win the draft lottery. ;)

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Yeah, he might be.

Trade Boeser to the Wild and retain 50% for Greenway and Spacek and our fanbase will pray really hard the Canucks win the draft lottery. ;)
I wonder if Minnesota could trade a draft pick to a team with loads of cap space to lower Boeser's cap hit, send Greenway back to Vancouver with a pick. Then you can have a top 6 local kid for under 5m with 3rd team retaining

Reactions: Golden Gophers 4649

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I wonder if Minnesota could trade a draft pick to a team with loads of cap space to lower Boeser's cap hit, send Greenway back to Vancouver with a pick. Then you can have a top 6 local kid for under 5m with 3rd team retaining
I can't think of a 3rd party that has ever eaten a multi-year cap hit. In addition, the Wild aren't going to pay more than a 2nd and a small add for Boeser. Asking Arizona, Chicago or Anaheim to retain is going to push the price above what Guerin is probably willing to pay

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Boeser’s best NHL season was his first one. About 5 years ago. He’s been in decline ever since.

Did suffer a bad back injury a few years ago that probably robbed him of some athletic ability.
Boeser's best season was 2020-21, by a country mile. That is the year where he seemed to get everything together on both ends of the ice. The last 2 years have been hugely disappointing.

Reactions: RebuildinVan

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
I can't think of a 3rd party that has ever eaten a multi-year cap hit. In addition, the Wild aren't going to pay more than a 2nd and a small add for Boeser. Asking Arizona, Chicago or Anaheim to retain is going to push the price above what Guerin is probably willing to pay
Kessel, OEL.

Maybe canucks have to throw in a mid round pick or a prospect to the 3rd party team as well then?

its 2 more years, so 1 more than Zaitsev but Chicago took on his entire 4.5m cap hit. If Chicago traded for Boeser retained 2.25m then it would amount to the same amout of $ over 2yrs vs 1. Wild would be getting Boeser at 4.1m or something and moving Greenway and his 3m to Vancouver as part of the deal.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
Boeser's best season was 2020-21, by a country mile. That is the year where he seemed to get everything together on both ends of the ice. The last 2 years have been hugely disappointing.
He has been through a lot, unfortunate wrist injury to begin year that he came back from too soon. This off season he has to try and slim down a bit, 209lbs for a guy that doesn't move that great and is not physical isn't a good receipe. Think If Boeser leaned out to 190-195lbs it may help in increasing his foot speed, if he can make some improvement on his skating this off season it would help his game.

I don't want Boeser traded but seems like Boeser's agent is still working hard trying to get him moved so Brock wants a fresh start. Too bad Canucks will be getting low quality in return that likely will never help contribute to the Canucks the way Boeser current;y is...so its a step back imo unless the return is worth it I hold on to him till at least the 2024 TDL.

Everything he has been through and a new coach once again, maybe some clear off season goals set out by Brock and the Canucks has Boeser come into training camp in the best shape of his life and as healthy as he has been in a long time...I can hope that is the case but seems like a deal will happen this tdl as part of the major surgery

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
He has been through a lot, unfortunate wrist injury to begin year that he came back from too soon. This off season he has to try and slim down a bit, 209lbs for a guy that doesn't move that great and is not physical isn't a good receipe. Think If Boeser leaned out to 190-195lbs it may help in increasing his foot speed, if he can make some improvement on his skating this off season it would help his game.

I don't want Boeser traded but seems like Boeser's agent is still working hard trying to get him moved so Brock wants a fresh start. Too bad Canucks will be getting low quality in return that likely will never help contribute to the Canucks the way Boeser current;y is...so its a step back imo unless the return is worth it I hold on to him till at least the 2024 TDL.

Everything he has been through and a new coach once again, maybe some clear off season goals set out by Brock and the Canucks has Boeser come into training camp in the best shape of his life and as healthy as he has been in a long time...I can hope that is the case but seems like a deal will happen this tdl as part of the major surgery
I think there is a real good argument to say that he has been bumped down the lineup by Kuzmenko, Beauvillier, and Mikheyev. I don't think you can pay your 4th best winger close to 7 Mil, especially when your 5th best winger (Garland is at 5).

Boeser is by no means a bad player, I think he will still carve out a solid career. I would deal him though as our salary mix weighs far too heavily on the wings.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
yzerman has said if he adds it will only be for a long term player not a rental . lalonde has said he needs scoring . boeser fits the bill . my question is what would it cost detroit in draft pix not including this summers 1st ? weve 2 seconds this draft as weve st louis pick . and all pix 2024

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
yzerman has said if he adds it will only be for a long term player not a rental . lalonde has said he needs scoring . boeser fits the bill . my question is what would it cost detroit in draft pix not including this summers 1st ? weve 2 seconds this draft as weve st louis pick . and all pix 2024
Detroit would want Vancouver to take Vrana back I assume? What else would Detroit offer on top of Vrana for Boeser? Detroit retain on Vrana maybe?

I know Vrana has 1 less year on his deal than Boeser but Vrana is near negative value, he cleared waivers this year. Was it drugs or alcohol or something else he got assistance for?

Reactions: deca guard

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
Detroit would want Vancouver to take Vrana back I assume? What else would Detroit offer on top of Vrana for Boeser? Detroit retain on Vrana maybe?

I know Vrana has 1 less year on his deal than Boeser but Vrana is near negative value, he cleared waivers this year. Was it drugs or alcohol or something else he got assistance for?
nobody has talked about vranas issue , us redwing fans see it as his private busines and hopefully he gets back to rocking because when we got him he was a serious sniper . and yes im thinking has negative value right now , upside is the guy can wheel and has a deadly release (why cap fans called him jake the snake) so a rebuilding team might like him as a sweetner . and at this time yzerman sounds serious about wanting to make playoffs so it wouldnt be anybody that matters off roster , thats why im wondering about cost in draft pix

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Trading Boeser will not be about getting Vancouver what it needs. Boeser isn’t desirable league wide. Trading Boeser is about freeing up cap space.

It’s not a rebuilding move to acquire assets. The cap space is the acquisition goal.

I’ve been right about him this entire time.

Saying he’d be very hard to trade and was negative value at his AAV.

Now I see some Vancouver fans somehow assuming Rossi and/or Waltstadt would be part of the package.

WTF?
Your making assumptions, I agree his contract is impacting his value but if the Canucks would accept at 6th I am sure he would be gone, but why would they do that.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Makes a lot of sense to me. I was trying to figure out a way to make Zucker to Minnesota and Boeser to Pittsburgh work in a 3-team trade, but cutting out Pittsburgh entirely and Minnesota just getting Boeser makes way more sense than that.

Greenway and Minnesota's 2nd for Boeser at $5.5 million seems like a decent starting point. I honestly have a tough time gauging Greenway's value, he is having a terrible year this year but was really effective as recently as last year. GMs also drool over players of his size.
If the Canucks are taking back Greenway, I don’t see them retaining anything.

Reactions: Cogburn

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Top line next year will be
Kuzmenko Pettersson Kravtsov
Watch Krav put up 60 points lol.

then 2nd line of

Beauvillier Jt.MIller Garland

Boeser is a goner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad