Bobrovsky joins Elliott complaining about new smaller pads.

Robert Kentwood

Sep 11, 2018
okay then, goalies taking 100 mph shots basically right to the skin isnt a safety concern

done with this discussion haha i agree with you
See this is what bothers me. You say 100mph shots why? Because you watch the All-Star competition and see TWO players taking SLAP SHOTS from the HASH MARKS hit 100mph.

You act like goalies are facing 30 shots a game at 100mph to areas of their body where there is no padding. That is completely false and misleading. So why say it? Just to further you argument even though it's wrong.

It's hard to discuss this topic with pro-goalie posters here because they skew/exaggerate what is actually occurring.

ONCE again, this is being blown out of proportion. Both the premise and the arguments that follow.

Last edited:
Reactions: JerseyMike34

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Still seem to really get the difference between the number of shots a goalie faces per season compared to a player. Including practices I'm sure we're only talking about a difference in 2-4 orders of magnitude.

Skaters face less shots but are MORE apt to get broken bones YET they don't complain.

If i'm a forward or a defenseman and i'm taking bullets for these goalies i'm offended that these goalies are going to complain about some bumps and bruises.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
See this is what bothers me. You say 100mph shots why? Because you watch the All-Star competition and see TWO players taking SLAP SHOTS from the HASH MARKS hit 100mph.

You act like goalies are facing 30 shots a game at 100mph to areas of their body where their is no padding. That is completely false and misleading. So why say it? Just to further you argument even though it's wrong.

It's hard to discuss this topic with pro-goailes here because they skew/exaggerate what is actually occurring.

ONCE again, this is being blown out of proportion. Both the premise and the arguments that follow.

The exaggeration tactic applies more to hockey fans than any other sport. Don't know why.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
Boo hoo. Go back to small catcher gloves and no masks, then complain.

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I was a goalie in 2002 and my equipment was pure 1980s. Early 80s. I didn’t even wear hockey socks underneath pads.

The collarbone is the biggest risk for injury as a goalie.

I never got hurt once. Granted I wasn’t taking shots by some of the hardest shooters in the world but still it’s amazing how much it doesent hurt. Getting one in the mask is the worst though it rings your ears for like five minutes

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
The league is putting Goalies health at risk in order to bump up scoring. Instead they could’ve made the nets slightly bigger all around...

Reactions: maacoshark

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
And as far as getting hurt in practice... I would tell the goalies to wear whatever they want in practice.. the rules only apply to games. And there is a bit of precedence for this... goalies used to wear face protection in practices before any goalie wore a mask in a game. So follow the rules for the games, bulk up for practice.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
If what he says is really true, that is going to put him in constant risk for injury.
Sounds to me that some of these goalies, and/or some fans today, don’t know the difference between being hurt and being injured. Bruises hurt. They don’t cause injury unless you have a blood disease. I bet goalies from 90s and maybe even early 2000’s and earlier are laughing hysterically at these two.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC
Skaters face less shots but are MORE apt to get broken bones YET they don't complain.

If i'm a forward or a defenseman and i'm taking bullets for these goalies i'm offended that these goalies are going to complain about some bumps and bruises.
Lol so basically, "they only take 100mph slap shots ONCE IN A WHILE". You know what? If I'm a goalie, I want to be prepared for THAT eventuality, I wouldn't set my standard at Tomas Plekanec.

Reactions: Mully

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

You act like goalies are facing 30 shots a game at 100mph to areas of their body where there is no padding. That is completely false and misleading. So why say it? Just to further you argument even though it's wrong.

It's hard to discuss this topic with pro-goalie posters here because they skew/exaggerate what is actually occurring.

I read some comments Holtby made and he said that he could even feel wristshots and snapshots. And the said what's going to happen when a goalie gets hit with a Shea Weber slapshot. He figures its only a matter of time before a goalie gets injured.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The league is putting Goalies health at risk in order to bump up scoring. Instead they could’ve made the nets slightly bigger all around...
That's what I have been saying. If the league wants more scoring dont put the goaltenders at risk for an extra goal.
The goalies are a lot bigger now than ever before. Goalies can be in the butterfly and still cover the top of the net. If an extra goal is that important than increase the size of the net slightly.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Not waiting for goalies to get injured should be super obvious.

All the bozos saying "back in my day" don't remember that back in their day sticks were made of wood and only a handful of guys shot as fast as today... in the NHL. A dinger from your grandpa league doesn't count.

There is a major difference between injury and bruising, but both are unacceptable for athletes that need to compete day in day out.

Sounds to me that some of these goalies, and/or some fans today, don’t know the difference between being hurt and being injured. Bruises hurt. They don’t cause injury unless you have a blood disease. I bet goalies from 90s and maybe even early 2000’s and earlier are laughing hysterically at these two.

Exactly this. Bruises can also severely limit ROM (range of motion), and can take weeks to heal.

Last edited:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Coincidently, are this two goalies struggling so far? Hmmm

Of course they gonna complain instead of adjusting to new equipment and playing better

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Lol so basically, "they only take 100mph slap shots ONCE IN A WHILE". You know what? If I'm a goalie, I want to be prepared for THAT eventuality, I wouldn't set my standard at Tomas Plekanec.
that's a stone cold burn!

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
We've seen players get dental work done on the bench and not miss a shift, this idiot complains about a few bruises? Give me a break.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
We've seen players get dental work done on the bench and not miss a shift, this idiot complains about a few bruises? Give me a break.

You don't get dental work every game. These goalies are getting bruises every game, practice, etc. with little time in between for them to heal. That can lead to plenty of other health issues in the near and long term.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
You realize late 90/early 00 gear was bigger than current goalie gear even before the new round of changes right?

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
Hopefully there will be some innovations. I think form fitting is an absolute must. These goaltenders with enormous equipment and zero talent just brick walling everything needs to stop. But at the same time, you shouldn't be getting bruised every game.

Agreed. But for several decades, goalies dealt with bruising. I remember watching a post-game interview with Grant Fuhr, who was shirtless, and he had bruises all over his body.
Goalies just dealt with it. So I kind of laugh when goalies complain about being scared of the puck. If your equipment is so large that you don't expect to feel it, there's a problem.

KingsHockey24 said:
Now that two goalies have come out and brought it up yeah, I do think it's a problem
Meanwhile, Cam Talbot said he has no problems with it at all.

31 Thoughts: Goalies at odds with NHL, each other over new equipment - Sportsnet.ca
There’s not much that can be done right now, as goalies were warned for years that if they didn’t get ahead of this, they would lose control of the situation. That’s exactly what happened, and changes were approved by both the NHL and NHLPA.

This. Maybe if more of them were part of the solution and not worried about their 1.89 GAA inflating with the shrinking of their equipment, the gear would be better today.

I'm on the side of 'suck it up'. But if I were looking for common ground it would be to ask why the NHL doesn't ban composite sticks?
TSN reported the increase in goalie concussions recently. Goalies complain about the pain of how hard the shots are now.
And I know I've seen one too many scoring chances get nixed because a stick imploded.

I believe it was two years ago two players (Eberle and another player) used a wood stick for the pre-season. Eberle remarked how much better it was for handling the puck.
He didn't like how it was heavier, but he loved the fact he didn't have to look down to make sure the puck was there after receiving a pass. He even remarked that he would consider using it for the PP.

MLB only allows wood bats, I don't know why the NHL couldn't do the same.
I actually believe scoring will go up - especially if goalie gear could be made smaller still knowing 'pain' would no longer be as great a factor.

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
how can people not be agreeing with the goalies here

you cant have guys standing in the net getting smashed by 100 mph shots with barely any padding on exposed parts

You mean like every goalie from 1920>2000?
And before everyone talks about how much harder players shoot today, lets not forget that guys like Fuhr, Roy, etc had to face Al MacInnis and Al Iafrate who held the hardest shot records for years while using wood sticks.
Or how about all the goalies that had to face Bobby Hull's 110mph slapper?

Suck it up Buttercup.

Bobrovsky's crying sounds like sour grapes. I'm sure if he had a 1.80 GA and .950 SV% he wouldn't be saying a friggin thing.
It's like last year when Aaron Sanchez complained that the baseball's had been changed, leading to more blisters.
Meanwhile, Justin Verlander said he didn't notice any difference at all.
Sanchez had a much better season this past year and didn't complain once about the same balls he used the year before.

Last edited:

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
To be fair, players don't need to use their teeth to play their position. They'd probably flinch any time someone got by their face though.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
This is interesting from Friedman.

"Very quietly, this is an uncomfortable time in the goaltender union. Some — including Brian Elliott, Connor Hellebuyck and Braden Holtby — went public with their complaints about the shrunken chest protectors. One privately said that when he declined to say anything to a reporter, others texted him their disapproval: “They said we all had a duty to speak out.”

Robert Kentwood

Sep 11, 2018
This is interesting from Friedman.

"Very quietly, this is an uncomfortable time in the goaltender union. Some — including Brian Elliott, Connor Hellebuyck and Braden Holtby — went public with their complaints about the shrunken chest protectors. One privately said that when he declined to say anything to a reporter, others texted him their disapproval: “They said we all had a duty to speak out.”
It's no surprise. These goalies obviously have the alternative motive of wanting bigger pads to cover up more of the net. They will use whatever excuse they can guilt the league into giving them what they want.

These goalies speaking out are just like politicians. Pathetic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad