Bobrovsky joins Elliott complaining about new smaller pads.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Funny you bring up shots faced.

1 injury so far and how many shots blocked? Sounds like a 0.0000001% chance of injury.

These goalie injuries are getting out of control. /s

Once again, this is being blown out of proportion as the stats show. And all the pro-goalie posters can refer to are personal attacks and logical fallacies.

Well I'll play your game. The league officials know better than any of you posters on here and they say the pads are fine. So I guess they're fine. End of discussion.
Well, I'm sure you tried.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Weird how I haven't heard Kris Russell complain once about blocking shots and he blocks just as many as any goaltender does with 1/4 the protection.

It's goalies who were using gigantic equipment who are struggling to adjust. That's all.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Weird how I haven't heard Kris Russell complain once about blocking shots and he blocks just as many as any goaltender does with 1/4 the protection.

It's goalies who were using gigantic equipment who are struggling to adjust. That's all.
As I said above, including practices the difference between the number of shots Russell and an average starting goalie faces is probably around 2 orders of magnitude per season. That's not "just as many".

And the fact that you're bringing up a guy who, as you're probably aware, keeps missing games every season due to injuries, is pretty telling about this conversation.

Robert Kentwood

Sep 11, 2018
As I said above, including practices the difference between the number of shots Russell and an average starting goalie faces is probably around 2 orders of magnitude per season. That's not "just as many".

And the fact that you're bringing up a guy who, as you're probably aware, keeps missing games every season due to injuries, is pretty telling about this conversation.
How many injuries have occurred vs the shots faced? Why won't you admit that the pads obviously aren't that much of a problem and that posters are blowing it out of proportion?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
How many injuries have occurred vs the shots faced? Why won't you admit that the pads obviously aren't that much of a problem and that posters are blowing it out of proportion?
We're less than 10 games into the season. The fact that a third of the starting goalies in the league have expressed concern about this is more telling to me than the injury numbers less than 10 games in.

Reactions: Vipers31

Robert Kentwood

Sep 11, 2018
We're less than 10 games into the season. The fact that a third of the starting goalies in the league have expressed concern about this is more telling to me than the injury numbers less than 10 games in.
Goalies have alternative motives (which I shouldn't even have to explain). You brought up practices so don't forget the shots taken there. All together there have been tens of thousands of shots and only 1 injury.

Once again, how are the pads that big of an issue?

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Goalies have alternative motives (which I shouldn't even have to explain). You brought up practices so don't forget the shots taken there. All together there have been tens of thousands of shots and only 1 injury.

Once again, how are the pads that big of an issue?
Yes, you have said that before. And yet we haven't had an outcry like this among starting goalies before. Not even when we actually had significant size reductions.

We're not farther into the season just because of practices.

Reactions: Vipers31

Robert Kentwood

Sep 11, 2018
Yes, you have said that before. And yet we haven't had an outcry like this among starting goalies before. Not even when we actually had significant size reductions.

We're not farther into the season just because of practices.
YOU brought up practice shots. You can't alleviate them now. The only injury from shots came in practice! So if not for shots in practice, their have been ZERO reported injuries. Once again, you guys are blowing this out of proportion. Their is no problem with the new padding. NHL execs agree with me so end of discussion.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
YOU brought up practice shots. You can't alleviate them now. The only injury from shots came in practice! So if not for shots in practice, their have been ZERO reported injuries. Once again, you guys are blowing this out of proportion. Their is no problem with the new padding. NHL execs agree with me so end of discussion.
And again, we're no farther into the season despite the practices.

Nice appeal to authority though. Yes, the people who made the change likely think they made the correct change. Such is life.

Robert Kentwood

Sep 11, 2018
And again, we're no farther into the season despite the practices.

Nice appeal to authority though. Yes, the people who made the change likely think they made the correct change. Such is life.
You don't consider tens of thousands of shots a good sample size? How many shots is a good sample size?

Funny you bring up logical fallacies to me, when the whole argument of others is "you haven't played goalie so you're opinion doesn't count". I can't argue facts because "I haven't played net" is the rebuttal presented, so I'll use their logic to beat them at their own game. Either way, they're wrong.

No injuries, no point of this thread and whining about smaller pads.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
You don't consider tens of thousands of shots a good sample size? How many shots is a good sample size?

Funny you bring up logical fallacies to me, when the whole argument of others is "you haven't played goalie so you're opinion doesn't count". I can't argue facts because "I haven't played net" is the rebuttal presented, so I'll use their logic to beat them at their own game. Either way, they're wrong.

No injuries, no point of this thread and whining about smaller pads.
I think the drastic increase in goaltenders that have complained about the pads so early on is a worrying sign.

You have made it quite clear that you think that unless more goalies miss time because they are getting injured, they are just soft and whiny. I just happen to think that's a ridiculous stance, especially when we have no idea how much time the goalies will end up missing because of this. It is, after all, still October.

If you dont think there is a point to the thread, you are of course free to not partake in the discussion. People obviously disagree with you.

Robert Kentwood

Sep 11, 2018
I think the drastic increase in goaltenders that have complained about the pads so early on is a worrying sign.

You have made it quite clear that you think that unless more goalies miss time because they are getting injured, they are just soft and whiny. I just happen to think that's a ridiculous stance, especially when we have no idea how much time the goalies will end up missing because of this. It is, after all, still October.

If you dont think there is a point to the thread, you are of course free to not partake in the discussion. People obviously disagree with you.
Well bruises happen to players EVERY game. So no, I don't think they are that big of a deal for goaltenders to suck it up to.

I'm just brining up how many posters here are blowing this out of proportion. They clearly are based on injuries occurred (that's a fact, I've shown that, no argument to it). If more injuries do occur, I'd be glad to re-evaluate the pads. But that hasn't happened yet, so why the discussion? Why are you guys acting like this is some goalie injury epidemic. Have you read the pro-goalie posts? They act like goalies are dying.

Last edited:

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Well bruises happen to players EVERY game. So no, I don't think they are that big of a deal for goaltenders to suck it up to.

I'm just brining up how many posters here are blowing this out of proportion. They clearly are based on injuries occurred (that's a fact, I've shown that, no argument to it). If more injuries do occur, I'd be glad to re-evaluate the pads. But that hasn't happened yet, so why the discussion? Why are you guys acting like this is some goalie injury epidemic. Have you read the pro-goalie posts? They act like goalies are dying.

i mean most goalies disagree with the change and think its gone too far and a majority of people who are familiar with the game agree with them

but, you do you

Reactions: Vipers31 and Mully

Robert Kentwood

Sep 11, 2018
i mean most goalies disagree with the change and think its gone too far and a majority of people who are familiar with the game agree with them

but, you do you
Of course they disagree with smaller pads, they want bigger pads to cover more of the net.

They can use the "injury" excuse (which is overblown by the lack of injuries caused by smaller pads so far) all they want to get their way. Then in turn these pro-goalie posters can accuse me of saying "you don't care about safety", which is not true at all. There just hasn't been anything/enough to show that the smaller pads are unsafe.

You can use your "goalies know more than you" argument, and I'll use the "league execs know more than you" to counter. It won't get us anywhere, but by using that "logic", you're wrong.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Bob better get this **** under control.

I have him in my hockey draft & he's killing me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Kentwood

Sep 11, 2018
i think goalies know more about goaltending than most but thats just me
I think NHL execs know more about the game than most, but that's just me. (Not to mention goalie's alternative motives that you refuse to even acknowledge.)

We can go all day. Or we can have an actual discussion with facts, but that won't favor your opinion.

Reactions: SwaggySpungo

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
because it negatively effects how entertaining the game is if goalies are constantly nervous and thinking about getting hit in certain spots?

more goals is fun but this is a dumb way to try to achieve it

Robert Kentwood

Sep 11, 2018
because it negatively effects how entertaining the game is if goalies are constantly nervous and thinking about getting hit in certain spots?

more goals is fun but this is a dumb way to try to achieve it
These are professionals that will do anything to make the save, they aren't nervous about shots. This is just ridiculous that you would even say that.

If you want to argue about goaltender safety, talk about their masks. I would be all for bigger masks seeing how they are much more likely to have safety issues because of shots to their head.

What's dumb about slimming down oversized pads? Their isn't a safety issue.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
okay then, goalies taking 100 mph shots basically right to the skin isnt a safety concern

done with this discussion haha i agree with you

SwaggySpungo

Oct 18, 2018
Make the nets bigger already. Enough of this crap.

Keep them 4 feet tall, but make them 6 inches wider. Problem solved.

Of course goalies will howl and cry at this change as well. Remember Luongo screaming that he would retire immediately (in his prime) if any change was ever made to the net?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
goalie.jpg

Reactions: Luminiferous

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad