Bobrovsky first 31 games - .897 sv% 3.29 GAA

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Not the first goalie to have bad stats in October. The team in front of him is adjusting to a new system. Things will tighten up soon and he will be back to normal.

Reactions: Fixxer

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
A year from now when he is 32 and in his peak prime as a goalie. Lol clueless. Sure may look bad on the back end but he is in his prime.
Are you really trying to say that a goalie's peak is typically 32 years old? I'm not saying goalies can't still be great into this early or even mid 30's but let's not pretend like that's the norm.

So far this decade, the average top 5 Vezina finisher has been 28 years old. Only 5 goalies in the past 9 years have been in the top 5 in Vezina voting at 32 years old or older and only 2 of them accomplished this twice. Among those were guys like Thomas who didn't become a starter until he was 32, Rinne who didn't become a starter until 26, and Bishop who didn't become a starter until 27. Bob has been a starter since he was 22 and has a lot more wear on his body than those guys. Again, I'm not saying Bob won't be a solid goalie for the next 5+ years but to claim that he most likely hasn't peaked yet is an illogical claim.

Age of top 5 Vezina finishers this decade:
'19: 24 32 27 34 25
'18: 35 24 23 28 33
'17: 28 27 29 29 30
'16: 26 29 30 36 31
'15: 27 32 28 25 32
'14: 26 25 27 26 28
'13: 24 30 29 31 25
'12: 29 26 29 29 26
'11: 36 28 31 28 23

A goalie has finished in the top 5 at 32 years old or older just 8 times
A goalie has finished in the top 5 at 31 years old or younger 37 times

Bob is almost certainly beyond his peak. He probably has a few more seasons of great play ahead of him but we've probably already seen his best and he's going to have a $10m cap hit until he's 37.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
It just kind of happens. Sometimes he's really good, sometimes he's really bad. Sometimes its in the same game.

Game 1 vs Tampa last spring is a prime example of the point being made here. In the first period he was atrocious and in periods 2 and 3 he was lights out. It's just something that Florida will have to live with now, for better or worse. Enjoy the roller coaster ride, Panther fans.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
unless im wrong, didnt he stink to start the year last year?
Yes, but to be fair, he didn't have a great season last year in general. He was a slightly above average starter. No what you would expect from a guy who is now the 2nd highest paid goalie in the NHL.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Heres my prediction for Bob: his poor start could be a structural problem that has no real solution (Torts is a good defensive coach). The pressure on Bob will mount, the press and the managers will start getting annoyed, upset and angry. Bob will feel more and more out of place and out of touch. He has already shown that his mind is susceptible for such scenarios during his time in Columbus, only here the pressure is much greater.

Bob either crashes and burns 'a la Bryz' or never reaches the expected form and during the 7 years brings the team to post season (and never far) maybe once or twice.

Bob, while being a very hard working nutjob, has no winner mentality and is only able to perform to his best when he got tuned in. His mind decides what circumstances are favourable to enter a good streak. Rising to the occasion isnt what Bob is capable of. Collapsing for the occasion (last seasons PO excluded which could possibly mean that hes reaching maturity) is however the norm.

Florida you have a problem. Even if he becomes somewhat better, hes still not the winner in his heart. He wont ever win the biggest prize of them all. Not as a main goalie.

Reactions: thebus88

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Thats exactly what I was warning FL about in Bob.

Overall: both Panarin and Bob walked away from a contender into nothing. One went into an unfixable swamp and the other one into an early rebuilt. What a waste.
The Blue Jackets aren't a contender and weren't a true one last year either.

Reactions: I am not exposed

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
They swept one of the most dominant teams we've seen in a long time and then lost a close series to a Boston team that went to game 7 of the SCF. That was certainly a better situation than Florida or NY.

What they are has nothing to do with Florida or NY, I didn't say they went to better situations did they? The Blue Jackets barely snuck into the playoffs, swept a team that was mentally unprepared for them and then predictably lost in 6 games to the Bruins. That's not a contender, that's not even a playoff run.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
What they are has nothing to do with Florida or NY, I didn't say they went to better situations did they? The Blue Jackets barely snuck into the playoffs, swept a team that was mentally unprepared for them and then predictably lost in 6 games to the Bruins. That's not a contender, that's not even a playoff run.
They won a round in the playoffs which puts them in the final 8. St. Louis had 1 more point than Columbus and had to win a game 7 in double OT to get through the 2nd round. Had they lost that game, I'm sure you would have said they were never "true contenders" either. Fact is, they were mediocre all season and then picked up Duchene and Dzingel and finished the season one of the hottest teams in the NHL. Had they kept that roster this year they certainly would have been one of the favorites to come out of the East this season which was that poster's point.

Last edited:

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Of all the overpayment mistakes you can make, overpaying a goalie should make the most sense, and have the least impact. It's the goalie. A bad goalie will lose you everything. So, gamble on a good goalie then, even if it costs extra. The other players on the team will accept that the goalie is a special case, and be less prone to use his contract as a comparision. If you overpay a skater, the other skaters will much more easily be able to compare themselves to him, and say "why does this guy make 3 mill more than me?" next time their contract is up.

I also think, even if you use 3, 4 or 5 mill to much on the goalie, that's just 3, 4 or 5 mill. If you overpay your top 6 forwards with 5 mill each, that's 30 mill.. your cap is dead. If you follow this line of thought.

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Of all the overpayment mistakes you can make, overpaying a goalie should make the most sense, and have the least impact. It's the goalie. A bad goalie will lose you everything. So, gamble on a good goalie then, even if it costs extra. The other players on the team will accept that the goalie is a special case, and be less prone to use his contract as a comparision. If you overpay a skater, the other skaters will much more easily be able to compare themselves to him, and say "why does this guy make 3 mill more than me?" next time their contract is up.

I also think, even if you use 3, 4 or 5 mill to much on the goalie, that's just 3, 4 or 5 mill. If you overpay your top 6 forwards with 5 mill each, that's 30 mill.. your cap is dead. If you follow this line of thought.
Spending 8 mil or more on a goalie has not proven to work very well at all. Price, Lundqvist, and now Bob I believe are the highest paid goalies. Yes, they've all won a decent amount of individual awards, and Lundqvist for a decade dragged his team to the playoffs, but they've all won 0 cups and the odds are pretty good they will all retire without having won a cup

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Spending 8 mil or more on a goalie has not proven to work very well at all. Price, Lundqvist, and now Bob I believe are the highest paid goalies. Yes, they've all won a decent amount of individual awards, and Lundqvist for a decade dragged his team to the playoffs, but they've all won 0 cups and the odds are pretty good they will all retire without having won a cup

It's the randomness in this. If you argue Lundqvist don't win a cup, so he wasn't worth the try, I don't follow.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
They won a round in the playoffs which puts them in the final 8. St. Louis had 1 more points than Columbus and had to win a game 7 in double OT to get through the 2nd round. Had they lost that game, I'm sure you would have said they were never "true contenders" either. Fact is, they were mediocre all season and then picked up Duchene and Dzingel and finished the season one of the hottest teams in the NHL. Had they kept that roster this year they certainly would have been one of the favorites to come out of the East this season which was that poster's point.
Ok well, they didn't keep that roster, so I guess it just is what it is now. Winning a round in the playoffs doesn't make you a contender. St. Louis won that game, Columbus didn't - there's your difference.

Reactions: BrokenFace

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
No, I’m saying that recent history shows that having your highest paid player in your team be the goalie has not worked out at all.

The sample is really not big enough to say this has been proven empirically. That's what I argue around Lundqvist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad