Bobrovsky first 31 games - .897 sv% 3.29 GAA

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Bob's been fine. Most of the goals given up were not a result of any poor play of his. He's been solid, at times he's been spectacular.

Lots of hot takes in here lol. Panther's fans love this guy.

Contract aside, he's been fine. I mean, I'm not thrilled about the contract at all, but he's doing what he needs to do so far. I don't think he can ever live up to that contract but he can still be really good.

The numbers are not reflective of his play.

The man has played well imo. The Panthers play has been erratic so far.

Literally without Bobrovsky the Panthers don't have that first win vs Tampa and the 2nd win vs New Jersey is debateable as well.

He's not the problem.

Bob has played well

Panthers' team defense....well, hasn't

He has been worth ever penny so far, what a weird thread.

But he is not struggling, he has been really good

It’s hilarious when people make things up

These are all Panthers fan quotes. You know, the people watching Panthers games. Everyone itt who said he's been bad, not one of them has been watching or they wouldn't have said that.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Bob is a good goalie, but it is absolutely ridiculous to pay a goalie that much. Does paying a goalie 10M move the needle that much?

You better be stealing a ton of games to warrant that.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I said when it was announced and I'll say it again that his contract is one of the worst ever given out in the cap era. Giving that much term with that high of an AAV to a 30yr old goalie(now 31) is an absolute farce. Without a doubt one of the worst contracts in the league and I can only imagine how it will look even just a year from now let alone a few. His best days are behind him.

Reactions: thebus88

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
These are all Panthers fan quotes. You know, the people watching Panthers games. Everyone itt who said he's been bad, not one of them has been watching or they wouldn't have said that.
It's also the people who want Bob to be great. It's still too early to worry about his play, but giving goalies a contract like that is very risky

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I literally said that's just one example. I've seen all of their games this season and seen maybe a hundred of their games in the last three years. One of my favorite teams.

Then you would see that Matheson has been excellent which you for some reason disagree with. Interesting that almost the entire panther board has been raving about him and Ekblad this year but here you come around with the “hot take”. Lol it’s obvious you don’t watch the team go read our board and you will see what we think of them. And don’t for a second think we let up on our players. The Panthers board is a cess pool of complaints and negative nancys yet no one is complaining as of yet and for good reason. Except for a poster (you) whom we have never seen make a post on our board despite watching 100 games in three years quite a bit. Strange events indeed

Reactions: I am not exposed

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
I said when it was announced and I'll say it again that his contract is one of the worst ever given out in the cap era. Giving that much term with that high of an AAV to a 30yr old goalie(now 31) is an absolute farce. Without a doubt one of the worst contracts in the league and I can only imagine how it will look even just a year from now let alone a few. His best days are behind him.

these crystal ball guys are a trip

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Bobrovsky came into the league when his teammate Bryzgalov showed him that once you get a long term contract as a Russian Goalie that you don't have to care anymore because its only a game !
I mean, Why you heff to be mad ? its only a game !

Reactions: ShelbyZ

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
7th worst sv% in the league so far. Just signed a 7 year, 10M AAV this offseason. When should the Panthers be worried or is it too early?
Hot take by someone who hasn't watched the actual games and after 5 games nonetheless.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
[mod] It's been 5 games. Bob is EXTREMLEY streaky. There's streaks where you think he's absolutely worth every penny and then he goes through streaks that make you wanna throw your remote through your TV.

He's a great goalie when hes in the zone. He's not exactly consistent and it's a long contract so just be prepared for the roller coaster ride.

Last edited by a moderator:

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
10 million centers don't grown on trees either, though.
Yeah but the 10 million dollar center is way better than the average center as compared to the 10 million dollars goalie vs the average goalie. That's simply a function of there being 31 starting goaltenders and 124 starting centers.

So when I say that average goalies win Cups, that's not to say they're not very good or capable of elite play over a small sample. We have to remember that every single starting caliber goaltender is a #1 center. Martin Jones (who stinks) ranks just as high at his position as Mika Zibanejad (who carries the Rangers kicking and screaming) does at his.

Apr 9, 2009
USA

I've never seen a goalie look good with numbers like that. So yeah, I'm pretty skeptical.

Necrobutcher

Sep 20, 2018
Tampere, Finland
Then you would see that Matheson has been excellent which you for some reason disagree with. Interesting that almost the entire panther board has been raving about him and Ekblad this year but here you come around with the “hot take”. Lol it’s obvious you don’t watch the team go read our board and you will see what we think of them. And don’t for a second think we let up on our players. The Panthers board is a cess pool of complaints and negative nancys yet no one is complaining as of yet and for good reason. Except for a poster (you) whom we have never seen make a post on our board despite watching 100 games in three years quite a bit. Strange events indeed
I don't know if you misinterpreted me but i'm not saying they have been bad overall but i am definitely saying they have been bad protecting the net and have been for years.
You haven't seen me post on the Panthers board cause i don't think any of my whopping 93 posts are on any team board. I rarely even read them. I'm not that active here. I'm more into watching games.

Now about the very personal acquisition of being a liar... I might actually be heading to Florida in late february to watch some Panthers hockey (like i did in 2015) so if you're a local we can discuss this face to face.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I've never seen a goalie look good with numbers like that. So yeah, I'm pretty skeptical.
Why don’t you go watch the Tampa game and the buffalo game. Sit on it. Feel embarrassed and then come back here. Then to add up you can go to the Carolina and New Jersey game, watch he had no chance because the team forgot how to play hockey, sit on it, and then feel embarrassed again. You’re welcome.

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
Is the discussion that Bobrovski is bad or that his contract is bad?
Because Bob's been good - gave us a chance to win every game, which is what you want from your starter.
His contract OTOH will never look "good" - that was obvious the moment it was signed. (Unless he wins two Cups and two Vezinas, then yeah, good contract). So the question is, was it worth it? To which the answer is: "ask me again in 5-7 years".

We desperately need this team to make the playoffs. Miss another year or two and the team probably gets relocated. That's why ownership and GM tossed huge money at Bob, at Quenneville, why they went and overpaid for Strallman (who's also been solid).

Last edited:

IceKitties

Dec 31, 2017
Florida
People who are only looking at the numbers or reading the headline, I encourage you to watch the actual games. As others have pointed out, the majority of Panthers fans (people who are actually watching the games) are mostly happy with his performance thus far.

Call it homerism, but if you watch the games, you will see how bad the defensive break downs are leading up to goals. You can argue whether or not he's worth the contract, but let's not freak out over a small sample size in which the numbers don't match the reality when you watch the games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad