Player Discussion Bobby Ryan Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
did he really win over the guy who beat cancer and came back to play in the playoffs in the same year?!

wack

The suspicion is Lehtera gets it next year. Also, I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the vote happened before the playoffs.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The Bobby Ryan story in Detroit carries on much like it did in Ottawa, pre-season and all off ice stories and loved by the media there, will get pretty quiet when the hockey starts and they have start to write about stats lines and impact players

Reactions: robsenz

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
did he really win over the guy who beat cancer and came back to play in the playoffs in the same year?!

wack

Its one of the few awards im sure players never really want to be in contention for lol

Reactions: Matsens15

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Never wanna hear about this guy again. One of the most polarizing players we have ever had, and gave us more agony than enjoyment. But we discovered why; I hope his demons behind him, great human being who was just terribly impacted and influenced.

Cripes this seems way over the top.

Dude came in with a great attitude, played well until injuries (and seemingly some addiction issues) took their toll yet stood up and faced everything with class and humility.

His contract wasn't his fault and it never was an issue in the grand scheme.

He also came up huge in our '17 run which will always be a highlight year to me anyway - those playoffs were incredibly exciting.

I wish him well and hope to hear about his success in staying sober and contributing on the ice.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What would have been disrespectful is if he would have won over lindblom. but lets not get into the element of choice between having a drinking problem vs getting cancer. timshel and all. but lets not get into that can of worms.
I know you're trying to play up the impact cancer has on peoples lives, but there really is no need to minimize the impact that mental health issues and alcoholism have. Both are very serious and should be treated as such.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I know you're trying to play up the impact cancer has on peoples lives, but there really is no need to minimize the impact that mental health issues and alcoholism have. Both are very serious and should be treated as such.

I don't mean to but it is the nature of the Masterton. comparing peoples struggles, dumb award.

but yes mental health issues and alcoholism can be a living hell, not to mention fatal in some cases. I'm glad Ryan got the help he needed.

Reactions: Micklebot

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't mean to but it is the nature of the Masterton. comparing peoples struggles, dumb award.

but yes mental health issues and alcoholism can be a living hell, not to mention fatal in some cases. I'm glad Ryan got the help he needed.

Must not be a lot of people who think it's a "dumb" award. It's given to one person but it doesn't mean other people battles were not an example of perseverance, etc

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'll miss Big Bobby. Now this means the board has to find a new whipping boy.

My money is a running gun battle between White and L. Brown.

White is a bit young for that but since he was paid right away, he's a good candidate. Zaitsev and Gudbranson (will be used a shutdown D-men) are the 2 running candidates IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad