Bobby Ryan Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
If Silf was still on the Sens, he wouldn't even have a chance to put up 17 points cause i seriously doubt he would have helped the Sens make it to round 2.

Xamar*

Guess who gets a new contract soon? Silf.

You think his agent isn't going to point to his inflated point totals in the playoffs and get a big raise?

Silf will get what he deserves, Not a big number thrown at him to prove that star players would want to sign in Ottawa. The money he will get will be appropriate to his production with no other factors influencing it, as it should be.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Silf will get what he deserves, Not a big number thrown at him to prove that star players would want to sign in Ottawa. The money he will get will be appropriate to his production with no other factors influencing it, as it should be.

You're right, no one would pay a multiple 30 goal scorer what Ottawa did. Yep, that's it. If he got to free agency, he would have gotten the same amount as Greening by some sad sack team. Tremendous deduction.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
You're right, no one would pay a multiple 30 goal scorer what Ottawa did. Yep, that's it. If he got to free agency, he would have gotten the same amount as Greening by some sad sack team. Tremendous deduction.

Ryan probably would have got 6.5mil AAV if he went FA (Vanek), Ottawa had to overpay to keep him. I don't think thats a secret.

edit, And if we he went FA after how the tail end of this season went I don't even want to know what his next contract would have been.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Ryan probably would have got 6.5mil AAV if he went FA (Vanek), Ottawa had to overpay to keep him. I don't think thats a secret.

edit, And if we he went FA after how the tail end of this season went I don't even want to know what his next contract would have been.

He would have been paid. Heavily. Because he would be the only marquee free agent. And GMs aren't as dumb as some HF Board posters who look at the END of one season and figure that's reflective of his actual output.

With how contracts are being doled out, plenty of teams looking for a goal-scoring winger would have bid for his services. He would have gotten $7.25 easily.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Down years happen, even without the presence of injuries. I'm not overly concerned as I've seen the high level of play he can perform at. He got into a funk and criticism for that is fine, but imo he was still putting in the effort during that stretch and never became a detriment to the team. I'd expect him to bounce back.

Hopefully we'll see him healthy all season next year, instead of battling though a hernia or broken finger. His end of season slump wasn't injury related, I just think he may have hit a wall. Remember, this team was ballz to the wall for half the season, and had numerous mental distractions (fired coach, health of the GM, Assistant coach, and not sure if the players knew about Melnyk at that point either).

Down years are also quite common when guys start tinkering with their game.

Let's not forget, a few years ago, Ryan was just a sniper. A finisher who relied on his linemates to generate the offense while he finished the job. Now, he made huge strides into becoming the driving force on his line. Making plays, working the boards, playing physical, being the general and taking charge. That is a massive transition in less than a year.

MainDotC

Depth Defenceman
Apr 29, 2007
Westerville, OH
GRxxSiZ.jpg

Franchise winger.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I still think Ryan should change his jersey number. It just feels off.

Maybe that is the reason why he went on a cold streak near the end of the season. :sarcasm:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He would have been paid. Heavily. Because he would be the only marquee free agent. And GMs aren't as dumb as some HF Board posters who look at the END of one season and figure that's reflective of his actual output.

With how contracts are being doled out, plenty of teams looking for a goal-scoring winger would have bid for his services. He would have gotten $7.25 easily.

I Agree for the most part. He defintinitely would have been a coveted asset. I like that he wants to be here. I want production. He has the tools. Another down year would definitely feel like failure and would hurt his market value.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Ryan is just not good enough to carry a line on his own for an entire year

He needs Zibanejad to come into his own and take over more regularly to be effective all year long (minus injury of course)

Until that happens people who focus on the dollars will invariably be disappointed

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

He needs Zibanejad to come into his own and take over more regularly to be effective all year long (minus injury of course)

Until that happens people who focus on the dollars will invariably be disappointed
I agree ,maybe they should swap hoffman with mac .To try and give ,ryan some help down there

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I wouldn't mind seeing Ryan hook up with Turris again.

This top 6 might just work....
Hoffman - Turris - Ryan
MacArthur - Zibby - Stone

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I wouldn't mind seeing Ryan hook up with Turris again.

This top 6 might just work....
Hoffman - Turris - Ryan
MacArthur - Zibby - Stone
That could work also ,for me the lack of a playmaker hurt that second line .Zibby ryan and hoff all seem more like shoot first type of players

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That could work also ,for me the lack of a playmaker hurt that second line .Zibby ryan and hoff all seem more like shoot first type of players

Agreed.

That's kinds why I'd like to see Stone hook up with Zibby. It gives Zibby more of a playmaker, along with a blue collar, jack of all trades guy in Mac to go with Zibby's driving to the net and sniping.

Then the Turris line gets Ryan, who is developing into a top flight jack-of-all-trades guy, along with the sniper in Hoff.

So each line as a sniper, a high IQ 2-way thinking guy, and a "get 'er done" type player. Balanced top 6.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Agreed.

That's kinds why I'd like to see Stone hook up with Zibby. It gives Zibby more of a playmaker, along with a blue collar, jack of all trades guy in Mac to go with Zibby's driving to the net and sniping.

Then the Turris line gets Ryan, who is developing into a top flight jack-of-all-trades guy, along with the sniper in Hoff.

So each line as a sniper, a high IQ 2-way thinking guy, and a "get 'er done" type player. Balanced top 6.
Yep ,Stone is our only real playmaker ,KT can pass dont get me wrong ,but stone just sets the table .Thats why i laugh at the main board proclaiming his unreal shooting % is the reason for his success.They really should watch how he plays

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

IMO Ryan would be better off with Turris & MacArthur since they can do most of the work offensively to get him the puck & are very good defensively since it takes him a little longer to get back. Ryan needs to be much more consistent with his scoring this season, should be interesting to watch whether he is able to live up to that huge contract they gave him or not.

I also think that Zibanejad would be better off with Stone & Hoffman to take some of the pressure off of him to score more. Both Hoffman & Stone are great shooters as well as very good passers & could help to set Zibanejad up to unleash his bomb from the slot. I don't think it hurts the team much who plays with who since all six of these guys are pretty good offensive players however, defensively Hoffman & Ryan are a little weaker than the other guys & maybe shouldn't be on the same line.

It's the bottom six where we could have some problems this yr. Michalek - Pageau - Lazar could be a good line if all three players rediscover their scoring touch. If these guys can be every bit as offensively minded as they are defensively minded then Ottawa could have some much needed secondary scoring. I think it will take at least this yr before the 4th line is rearranged for the better.

Oct 31, 2011
Ottawa
I feel like this year will make or break my own opinion on Ryan as a worthwhile long-term investment. I know he's been plagued by injury, but I'm still left feeling underwhelmed. I've seen the flashes of brilliance he can project (see the Kings goal last season), but I want consistency. I'm really rooting for the guy to put up 30+ goals next season because he seems like a fantastic leader beside King K and the team really needs him to become more consistent in order to become a true contender. I hope he's working out hard in the offseason as I'm sure he is. Live up to your potential Ryan, HF Sens got your back! :yo:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
IMO Ryan would be better off with Turris & MacArthur since they can do most of the work offensively to get him the puck & are very good defensively since it takes him a little longer to get back. Ryan needs to be much more consistent with his scoring this season, should be interesting to watch whether he is able to live up to that huge contract they gave him or not.

I also think that Zibanejad would be better off with Stone & Hoffman to take some of the pressure off of him to score more. Both Hoffman & Stone are great shooters as well as very good passers & could help to set Zibanejad up to unleash his bomb from the slot. I don't think it hurts the team much who plays with who since all six of these guys are pretty good offensive players however, defensively Hoffman & Ryan are a little weaker than the other guys & maybe shouldn't be on the same line.

It's the bottom six where we could have some problems this yr. Michalek - Pageau - Lazar could be a good line if all three players rediscover their scoring touch. If these guys can be every bit as offensively minded as they are defensively minded then Ottawa could have some much needed secondary scoring. I think it will take at least this yr before the 4th line is rearranged for the better.

I agree with most of this. The 4th line with Smith, Greening, Neil, Chiasson or whomever is not very enticing to me. Hopefully the GM will be able to trade at least two of the 4 and open up spots for some younger more skillful guys, perhaps Puempel, Prince, Robinson or Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad