Bobby Ryan Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
That was his excuse last season as well.

I judge players based on their play on ice. Ryan has not had the greatest couple seasons. Whether its due to injuries or whatever.

Lots of players have surgery in the summer and rebound fine. Stop making excuses for him

Really? Can you name me even 3 players who had hernia surgery the season before and performed at the same level as they did prior to the surgery?

Of course you can't. Because "Lots of players" is non-quantitative. I can say "lots of players" have surgery in the summer and don't rebound the following season. And I can back that up with at least evidence of guys like Alfredsson and Spezza having rough years immediately following surgery. Or even Steven Stamkos coming off a broken leg.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
That was his excuse last season as well.

I judge players based on their play on ice. Ryan has not had the greatest couple seasons. Whether its due to injuries or whatever.

Lots of players have surgery in the summer and rebound fine. Stop making excuses for him

I'd love to see a list of guys who had surgeries like this, missed the summer of training and then came back and had a year that's comparable to their career averages.

And the year before? He had the actual hernia. Do you think these guys are supermen or something?

What bugs me about hockey forums is that there's this general veil put on these guys. You look at the stats and you say, yeah, that's not great at all, but very few people say, 'hey, before we get really pissed off or disappointed, let's remember that Ryan was a driving force for us in the first half of the season.

First 45 games: 37 points - which included propping up a cold as ice Mika Zibanejad, while continuously helping Hoffman find his pro game.

Next 33 games - 17 points.

So, which one do you think is accurate? The one where he didn't have a C for the first 21 games (where Zibanejad had 9 points) and still managed to finish his first 45 games on a 65+ point pace, or the one where he ran out of gas and scored at .5 point pace?

That's not to mention the way Bobby Ryan played this past season. Yes, everyone was disappointed in the 2nd half when he wasn't performing, but it's the way he conducted himself on and off the ice. This is a guy who wants to lead and did lead, played a sound 200 foot game and gave it his all every shift. No one needs to doubt a player like Bobby Ryan.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Forgot softer , silf was never going to do here what he is doing in ANA.Kid was and still is soft as melted ice cream ,Ryan fits our team much better and will be still the best forward moving forward period

Silf was very perimeter when he was with the sens. It helps when you have Kesler and Beleskey flying around making room for him. That line has great balance each player brings something else to the table. I agree he does look great and has a good two way game but lets get serious Kesler is what makes that line click he is an unbelievable player to have as your second line centerman.

Ryan is a game breaker Anaheim has those the sens dont/didnt, until we see what happens with Ritchie and Noesen its a win win type trade. Ryan clearly was not himself down the stretch and the playoffs, a few friends and I believe ever since Petry smoked him and his head hit the boards thats when he stopped playing well. Whether it was a concussion or a neck injury he was making very strange decisions from there on out.

I think we will see a better player next year, sports hernia's do take a long time to get better from and whatever was bothering him late in the season hopefully has dissipated by October. I just hope he has a dedicated offseason.

He is a great character guy and leader, the team seems to look up to him. I am optimistic about next year.

BigBush*

Really? Can you name me even 3 players who had hernia surgery the season before and performed at the same level as they did prior to the surgery?

Of course you can't. Because "Lots of players" is non-quantitative. I can say "lots of players" have surgery in the summer and don't rebound the following season. And I can back that up with at least evidence of guys like Alfredsson and Spezza having rough years immediately following surgery. Or even Steven Stamkos coming off a broken leg.

I get what you're saying. But I saw Ryan play at a very high level for a few months before his play fell off a cliff. Not totally sold on the fact that his poor play was a result of the surgery from 8 months ago.

And I'm more talking about Ryans time in Ottawa. There's been a lot of excuses since he got here for when he plays poorly

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
I get what you're saying. But I saw Ryan play at a very high level for a few months before his play fell off a cliff. Not totally sold on the fact that his poor play was a result of the surgery from 8 months ago.

And I'm more talking about Ryans time in Ottawa. There's been a lot of excuses since he got here for when he plays poorly

It's because he has a good attitude and handles the media very well. His work ethic is good too.

That said, he will not have many defenders left if he doesn't put up 65 pts next season.

BigBush*

It's because he has a good attitude and handles the media very well. His work ethic is good too.

That said, he will not have many defenders left if he doesn't put up 65 pts next season.

Good. I like the guy just as much as everyone else, but he was brought in and paid to be one of our top offensive players. That's the expectation.

It's still very much up in the air if he has just been really unlucky with injuries or if he isn't putting in the grueling effort needed to he a top tier player at the highest level.

BigBush*

I'd love to see a list of guys who had surgeries like this, missed the summer of training and then came back and had a year that's comparable to their career averages.

And the year before? He had the actual hernia. Do you think these guys are supermen or something?

What bugs me about hockey forums is that there's this general veil put on these guys. You look at the stats and you say, yeah, that's not great at all, but very few people say, 'hey, before we get really pissed off or disappointed, let's remember that Ryan was a driving force for us in the first half of the season.

First 45 games: 37 points - which included propping up a cold as ice Mika Zibanejad, while continuously helping Hoffman find his pro game.

Next 33 games - 17 points.

So, which one do you think is accurate? The one where he didn't have a C for the first 21 games (where Zibanejad had 9 points) and still managed to finish his first 45 games on a 65+ point pace, or the one where he ran out of gas and scored at .5 point pace?

That's not to mention the way Bobby Ryan played this past season. Yes, everyone was disappointed in the 2nd half when he wasn't performing, but it's the way he conducted himself on and off the ice. This is a guy who wants to lead and did lead, played a sound 200 foot game and gave it his all every shift. No one needs to doubt a player like Bobby Ryan.

Just calling it like it is. Don't forget hes one of the highest paid forwards in the league. Expectations are high.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Down years happen, even without the presence of injuries. I'm not overly concerned as I've seen the high level of play he can perform at. He got into a funk and criticism for that is fine, but imo he was still putting in the effort during that stretch and never became a detriment to the team. I'd expect him to bounce back.

Hopefully we'll see him healthy all season next year, instead of battling though a hernia or broken finger. His end of season slump wasn't injury related, I just think he may have hit a wall. Remember, this team was ballz to the wall for half the season, and had numerous mental distractions (fired coach, health of the GM, Assistant coach, and not sure if the players knew about Melnyk at that point either).

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Down years happen, even without the presence of injuries. I'm not overly concerned as I've seen the high level of play he can perform at. He got into a funk and criticism for that is fine, but imo he was still putting in the effort during that stretch and never became a detriment to the team. I'd expect him to bounce back.

Hopefully we'll see him healthy all season next year, instead of battling though a hernia or broken finger. His end of season slump wasn't injury related, I just think he may have hit a wall. Remember, this team was ballz to the wall for half the season, and had numerous mental distractions (fired coach, health of the GM, Assistant coach, and not sure if the players knew about Melnyk at that point either).

He also had an insanely low shooting percentage. Had he even been at the league norm, he would have potted 7-9 more goals.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

This essentially sums up my feelings of Ryan past 2 years. He was injured first year and was still adapting to our game. He was also injured for parts of last year and become one of our better 2 way players and now next year he just has to step up offensively especially with full summer of working out and focusing on getting better.

30 goals 65 points next year at least.

BigBush*

This essentially sums up my feelings of Ryan past 2 years. He was injured first year and was still adapting to our game. He was also injured for parts of last year and become one of our better 2 way players and now next year he just has to step up offensively especially with full summer of working out and focusing on getting better.

30 goals 65 points next year at least.

I would definitely bet the under on 30 goals next year

SenatorArmy*

Do you think the ducks would take back Ryan if they could have him for the same price as Silver Surfer ? You're damn right they would

member 248215

I love that people are comparing Silf who is playing with a strong, dependable, experienced centerman like Kesler to Ryan who is supporting a rookie-sophomore cast that are struggling to find consistency in their game. Switch him and Stone and we would have seen different stats.

Xamar*

I love that people are comparing Silf who is playing with a strong, dependable, experienced centerman like Kesler to Ryan who is supporting a rookie-sophomore cast that are struggling to find consistency in their game. Switch him and Stone and we would have seen different stats.

18 goals 54 points is pathetic for someone who makes Ryans dollars idc for any of the excuses. 2 seasons now of sub-par play is the only thing that remains.

WhiteLight*

Zibanejad scored just as much as Kesler this year.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
18 goals 54 points is pathetic for someone who makes Ryans dollars idc for any of the excuses. 2 seasons now of sub-par play is the only thing that remains.

FYI Ryan only made 5.562 this year. Not pathetic in the slightest especially given his all around play.

Silfverberg is nothing more than a supporting cast member. He doesn't have that dynamic factor to his game. Get back to me when he has four 30+ goal seasons to his credit.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON

I guess Crosby was pathetic too in 2011-2012 and 2012-2013.

Obviously, an injury that prevented him from playing at all, but the concept remains the same. You are ignoring any other factor and only looking at numbers.

Xamar*

You want doesn't remain? Silfverberg. Because he was our least valuable forward prospect.

Go Stone, Hoffman, Zibby!

Ya but the trade wasn't just for Silfverberg you must consider the pick and Noesen as well. Also Silf salary is way less then Ryans. I do support Stone Zibby and Hoffman

Xamar*

I guess Crosby was pathetic too in 2011-2012 and 2012-2013.

Obviously, an injury that prevented him from playing at all, but the concept remains the same. You are ignoring any other factor and only looking at numbers.

So if Ryan is injured every year for the next 7 years Is his contract not a mistake ?

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Ya but the trade wasn't just for Silfverberg you must consider the pick and Noesen as well. Also Silf salary is way less then Ryans. I do support Stone Zibby and Hoffman

Guess who gets a new contract soon? Silf.

You think his agent isn't going to point to his inflated point totals in the playoffs and get a big raise?

WhiteLight*

Silfverberg is nothing more than a supporting cast member. He doesn't have that dynamic factor to his game. Get back to me when he has four 30+ goal seasons to his credit.

Please. Lemme know when Ryan has 17 points in one playoff season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad