Injury Report: Bobby Ryan - Hernia

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I get what you're saying, but I think you're being too liberal with your definition of 20-25 goal two way scorer.

Jagr doesn't qualify IMO. Whitney hasn't scored 20+ goals in over two years. Parise is more of a 30+ goal scorer and I consider Alfie for me is a 15-20 goal guy now and even last year because though his pace might be 20+ goals, you take the whole package when you take a player and missing games is apart of Alfie at this point in his career.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
In before "So Murray gave up a top-10 pick!"

Actually, it is quite the opposite. We have absolutely no one coming up from within who is likely to burst out as a consistent 30 goal scorer. Those players are rare. We can potentially pick up a Vanek as a UFA I suppose, but based on what he already turned down from the Isles he would cost us even more than Ryan. The only way to replace Ryan would be to pull off another trade where we pay a huge price.

As I've said from the day of the trade last summer, the organization will re-sign him. It is by far the best of the options.

Need to highlight this as I'm not sure people really understand it... Again this season, only 21 guys in the ENTIRE league scored more than 30 goals.

Also, I don't get those "invisible" comments. I have noticed Ryan all year long even when not scoring, with his physical play, his playmaking, tenacious forecheck and even backcheck. He was a bit slow and seemed a bit out of shape though. Need a good prep for next year. Injury, state of the team and stupid Burke comments sure didn't help him too.

This year:

MacArthur (ChaChing!)
Filppula
Alfredsson
Iginla
Jagr?(not as 2 way but puck possession MACHINE)

Hello cap hits. If only we didn't have one of the worst GMs...

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
He said that he is limited to 30lbs weights. He can ride the cycle a little. He will be in Ottawa for next couple weeks rehabbing then back and forth between here, California and his home in Wyoming or where ever he lives.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
If Ryan signs long term then it was a good trade. A 30 goal scorer doesn't come along every day.

This.

People forget how good he was for this team before the injury. He was a huge difference maker and unquestionably the team's best forward and arguably the best player.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Any guesses what it's going to take to extend Bobby?

6/$42M?

give him 8 years, signs him to when he is 35 we use our advantage

offer him more money up front and a reducing salary contract

best way to work around a budget, offer reducing salary contracts

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I am definitely not opposed to giving him 8 years, it's the one advantage we have in terms of what we can offer

8 years for 60 million, cap hit of 7.5 is realistic

He was a PPG winger prior to the injury and we need to extend him ASAP: that means we pay for how good he was before the injury.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Give him maximum years and around a 7.0 cap hit, we need that kind of talent. Health must be the priority for Ryan. We need the player he was in the first half.

Noesen, Silfverberg, 10th overall pick 2014

One good thing about this deal was the weak draft we are heading to. That 10th overall pick is probably not even worth a 20th overall pick on normal years. It was a good calculated risk IMO

Silfverberg is cool and everything but still nothing more than a good 3rd liner for now (36 pts pace this year, same as Greening prior to this year), and not sure how much untapped potential he has for the NHL. His decision making, skating and shot release is not fast enough for him to become a special player (NHL players can check him efficiently).

Noesen has been injured a lot since being drafted and just missed a full season with a torn ACL and MCL. He might not reach his potential because of this and it will take several years anyway. Sens get all the short term benefits on that deal, by far. Remains to be seen but both teams could end "winners" (only saying this because most hockey fans need that notion, which doesn't really exist IMO) if the Ducks can obtain a good player with their pick. The team getting the best player in the deal (Ryan) always make the biggest profit.

If the Ducks get two-three 2nd/3rd line tweeners out of this and the Sens extend Ryan, then they win that deal by far, if you really need a "winner"

By the way, for those interested, here's the list of 10th overall picks to give you an idea of what player you can get

Year Player Pos. Drafted From Drafted By
2013 Valeri Nichushkin W Chelyabinsk (RUS) Dallas Stars
2012 Slater Koekkoek D Peterborough (OHL) Tampa Bay Lightning
2011 Jonas Brodin D Farjestad (Swe) Minnesota Wild
2010 Dylan McIlrath D Moose Jaw (WHL) New York Rangers
2009 Magnus Paajarvi-Svensson LW Timra (Swe) Edmonton Oilers
2008 Cody Hodgson C Brampton Vancouver Canucks
2007 Keaton Ellerby D Kamloops (WHL) Florida Panthers
2006 Michael Frolik RW Kladno (Cze) Florida Panthers
2005 Luc Bourdon D Val-d'Or Foreurs (QMJHL) Vancouver Canucks
2004 Boris Valabik D Kitchener Rangers (OHL) Atlanta Thrashers
2003 Andrei Kostitsyn LW/RW CSKA Moscow (Russia) Montreal Canadiens
2002 Eric Nystrom LW U. of Michigan (NCAA) Calgary Flames
2001 Dan Blackburn G Kootenay Ice (WHL) New York Rangers
2000 Mikhail Yakubov C Tolyatti-2 Chicago Blackhawks
1999 Branislav Mezei D Belleville Bulls (OHL) New York Islanders
1998 Nikolai Antropov C Torpedo UST-Kamengorsk (Russia) Toronto Maple Leafs
1997 Brad Ference D Spokane Chiefs (WHL) Vancouver Canucks
1996 Lance Ward D Red Deer Rebels (WHL) New Jersey Devils
1995 Radek Dvorak RW Ceske Budejovice HC (Czech) Florida Panthers
1994 Nolan Baumgartner D Kamloops Blazers (WHL) Washington Capitals
1993 Jocelyn Thibault G Sherbrooke Faucons (QMJHL) Quebuc Nordiques
1992 Andrei Nazarov LW Moscow Dynamo (Russia) San Jose Sharks
1991 Martin Lapointe RW Laval Titan (QMJHL) Detroit Red Wings
1990 Drake Berehowsky D Kingston Frontenacs (OHL) Toronto Maple Leafs
1989 Bobby Holik C Dukla Jihlava (Czech) Hartford Whalers
1988 Teemu Selanne RW Jokerit Helsinki (FNL) Winnipeg Jets
1987 Jayson More D New Westminster Bruins (WHL) New York Rangers
1986 Jocelyn Lemieux LW Laval Titan (QMJHL) St. Louis Blues
1985 Dan Gratton C Oshawa Generals (OHL) Los Angeles Kings
1984 J.J. Daigneault D Longueuil Chevaliers (QMJHL) Vancouver Canucks
1983 Normand Lacombe RW U. of New Hampshire (NCAA) Buffalo Sabres
1981 Garth Butcher D Regina Pats (WHL) Vancouver Canucks
1980 Jim Fox F Ottawa 67's (OHA) Los Angeles Kings

Doubt the Ducks get a Selanne in a weak draft like that, particularly since scouting is much better than it was 1988. Chances that teams miss out on real talents get lower ever year.

Last edited:

WORLDSTARHIPHOP

Sens <<<<<<<<<< NHL
May 31, 2008
We gave up a good 2nd/3rd liner, an injury prone prospect and a pick that is debateable to make the nhl for a player that can carry this team when he's healthy. He says he wants to resign and when he does I say that's a win in my books

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad