Injury Report: Bobby Ryan - Hernia

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The guy is a freak. Be honest, how many here would actually believe he wants to be here? I am stunned. I think a lot of it has to do with his line mates and being in a hockey market.

Great to hear, let's just hope he will be ready to go in September, fit and hopefully getting an extra gear in terms of foot speed.

Our trainers have done amazing work with the likes of Spezza, Foligno, Neil, Smith, etc...in terms of skating so Bobby Ryan could be the next to benefit from some well guided training.

It is odd, isn't it?

Just the paranoid part of my brain talking here, but maybe we should hold off on signing him until that hernia issue is 100% gone and he's medically cleared.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It is odd, isn't it?

Just the paranoid part of my brain talking here, but maybe we should hold off on signing him until that hernia issue is 100% gone and he's medically cleared.

I think we have to sign him or else risk losing him for nothing, gotta be done. Now whether he gets a NTC may be a different matter. Ryan has value if there is cost certainty, without any we wouldn't get anything for him anyways.

I am just thrilled that he seems genuine in wanting to be here.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
I dont want to be too forward here but i love Bobby Ryan - in totally cool bro' kind of way.

He just seems so...likeable.

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
Agreed Wonder. I'm not shocked at all - the norm for players traded here or playing in this organization is that they want to stay. For all the talk of how boring Ottawa is it offers a fantastic environement for players and their families.

Fans are not overly forward (for the most part) and so the players don't have to worry about scenes everywhere they go. The school systems are great and safe. The city is big enough it has all the amenities you'd need but small enough that you feel you're in a small town. Perfect family town.

I for one look forward to having Bobby as a Senator for many years to come.

cage

Apr 25, 2004
Not sure if this has been brought up or not but I wonder how this years winter will impact Ryan's decision to stay or leave. I only mention it because I heard Bob McCown speculating that Tim Leiweke (the big shot CEO MLSE hired to over see all their sports teams) and his wife were shocked at how bad the winter was and that Shanahan might be groomed to take over for him. The Leiweke's originally lived in California (like Ryan), and this winter was just brutal

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Not sure if this has been brought up or not but I wonder how this years winter will impact Ryan's decision to stay or leave. I only mention it because I heard Bob McCown speculating that Tim Leiweke (the big shot CEO MLSE hired to over see all their sports teams) and his wife were shocked at how bad the winter was and that Shanahan might be groomed to take over for him. The Leiweke's originally lived in California (like Ryan), and this winter was just brutal

In all of Ryan's interviews, he always said that his girlfriend ( originally from Cali) loved winter and the novelty of it hadn't worn off. Loved the city and all it had to offer

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
its gonna suck long term when the novelty wears off lol.

btw, ive been chirping philly fans all day about this feels great.

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
I'm torn on Ryan. He's a good player but he's not irreplaceable either from within or even the free agent market. The Sens had a bigger problem with giving up goals than scoring them.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Cannot resign until after July 1, I think.
Whats Liewike complaining about, Toronto doesn't have winters.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I'm not sure how bad the winters are in Owen Sound, but he played his major junior career there, it's not like he isn't used to small Canadian cities. He also lives in Wyoming which gets it's fair share of winter. I don't think the weather is an issue, at least not for him.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I'm torn on Ryan. He's a good player but he's not irreplaceable either from within or even the free agent market. The Sens had a bigger problem with giving up goals than scoring them.

Actually, it is quite the opposite. We have absolutely no one coming up from within who is likely to burst out as a consistent 30 goal scorer. Those players are rare. We can potentially pick up a Vanek as a UFA I suppose, but based on what he already turned down from the Isles he would cost us even more than Ryan. The only way to replace Ryan would be to pull off another trade where we pay a huge price.

As I've said from the day of the trade last summer, the organization will re-sign him. It is by far the best of the options.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Actually, it is quite the opposite. We have absolutely no one coming up from within who is likely to burst out as a consistent 30 goal scorer. Those players are rare. We can potentially pick up a Vanek as a UFA I suppose, but based on what he already turned down from the Isles he would cost us even more than Ryan. The only way to replace Ryan would be to pull off another trade where we pay a huge price.

As I've said from the day of the trade last summer, the organization will re-sign him. It is by far the best of the options.

I think he meant as a player in general 30 goal scorer but invisible for long stretches is not better than 20-25 goal hardworking 2 way guy. Just ask Anaheim.

I think that's what he meant. Even then I'd argue we don't know what Ryan is capable of with full healthy season here.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I think he meant as a player in general 30 goal scorer but invisible for long stretches is not better than 20-25 goal hardworking 2 way guy. Just ask Anaheim.

I think that's what he meant. Even then I'd argue we don't know what Ryan is capable of with full healthy season here.

Yeah, it is hard to say how much he'll produce in a full healthy year. If we can keep our top 6 intact, somehow, I am guessing Ryan will end in the 35-40 goal range. If we lose most or all of the Spezza line in the off season one impact will be that it will be easier to match top pair D against the Turris line. I'm still pretty sure Ryan would be good for around 30 in that scenario.

Othello*

Seeing as you list your location as "Alberta" you are totally right to ask that question. I'm not sure anyone suggested that he had designs to skip town and head over to Edmonton as a UFA though.

I'm from Ottawa

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008

Two-way 20-25 goalscorers don't exactly grow on trees either.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012

I was just going to post this. Ryan is that impact game breaker, and ups and downs are part of the territory. No, he won't score every game, nor should he be expected to. But we need a guy like Ryan on our team for long term success. Our most hyped prospect in the pipeline, Lazar, is also what this team needs, but is obviously a completely different animal to Ryan.

It sounds like Bobby likes his line mates. I'd keep him with Turris and 'Clarkie' and see what hey can really do next year.

Happy times.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
3-4 are almost always available every year through UFA and you don't need to offer the pieces we did for Ryan to get em. That was the point.

Good luck getting any of those guys to come to Ottawa. At least by trading for him, we've got him to see that the city isn't entirely a backwater podunk town. He's also gotten chemistry with Turrie and Grizz, which can't hurt.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Good luck getting any of those guys to come to Ottawa. At least by trading for him, we've got him to see that the city isn't entirely a backwater podunk town. He's also gotten chemistry with Turrie and Grizz, which can't hurt.

We just got one to come to Ottawa last summer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad