Bobby Hull legacy thread (see admin warning post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
hamilton-alexander.gif

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Ironically Big Phil himself would be the first one to tell you that Russia was justified in invading Ukraine because of NATO expansion or some shit like that. Its amazing how people like that get the exact same talking points from the exact same sources, and its all so predictable - 9/11, Sandy Hook (though that's a bridge too far even for most republicans), election denialism, Russia/Ukraine, covid/anti-vaxx...

But, they're just asking questions.

If you don't know them already, you don't want to know his opinions on that.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
The earthquake in Turkey is getting a lot of people's eyes right now, too, and I wouldn't want the earthquake's opinions on hockey either.

Given what you said earlier about how only people who don't walk out in disgust must not like fighting in hockey, I agree that this statement is consistent with your view on things.

Lmao what a post.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Lmao what a post.

There's a difference between people watching something because they endorse it, and people watching something because they want to see what's going on or what's going to happen.

I thought it was a pretty clear analogy, but my analogies are usually pretty shit. Sorry this one didn't land with you specifically - I'll try better next time.

• Wow

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
There's a difference between people watching something because they endorse it, and people watching something because they want to see what's going on or what's going to happen.

I thought it was a pretty clear analogy, but my analogies are usually pretty shit. Sorry this one didn't land with you specifically - I'll try better next time.

Don't worry it was so bad it's almost good, of course have nothing with Don Cherry or how popular he was/is(I have no idea, living across the pond and all that). I read a page or two further and saw someone who made a even stranger analogy between him and the German people plus Hitler so you are in the clear when it comes to most ridiculous analogy in this entertaining thread.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Don't worry it was so bad it's almost good, of course have nothing with Don Cherry or how popular he was/is(I have no idea, living across the pond and all that). I read a page or two further and saw someone who made a even stranger analogy between him and the German people plus Hitler so you are in the clear when it comes to most ridiculous analogy in this entertaining thread.

Thanks for stopping by!

• Wow

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Can I just say that I am so f***ing happy that all of this is coming out and I am just glad to have played my very little (teeny tiny, really) part in it. @seventieslord - Well done. Well, well, well done.
Woodward & Bernstein!

Yes, if there's some equivalent of a Pulitzer prize here on HFBoards(?), it's yours.
Ironically Big Phil himself would be the first one to tell you that Russia was justified in invading Ukraine because of NATO expansion or some shit like that. Its amazing how people like that get the exact same talking points from the exact same sources, and its all so predictable - 9/11, Sandy Hook (though that's a bridge too far even for most republicans), election denialism, Russia/Ukraine, covid/anti-vaxx...

But, they're just asking questions.
:D

And what source might that be? Do the words factory, troll and Russian (in an arbitrary order) possibly have anything to do with it? Like I said in another thread a couple of months ago, the world has gone mad and I'm very close to becoming a misanthrope.

PS. I'm drunk as that famous skunk right now, sorry

Reactions: seventieslord

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I'd honestly rather not pile on at this point. Hoping to give Big Phil a chance to speak up (it's been offered) and then close things.
In fairness, the poster in question does offer some useful and insightful posts to this sub-forum. I don't want that to get lost in this discussion. I disagree with the poster all the time, but that doesn't mean there weren't interesting posts associated with that poster.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
In fairness, the poster in question does offer some useful and insightful posts to this sub-forum. I don't want that to get lost in this discussion. I disagree with the poster all the time, but that doesn't mean there weren't interesting posts associated with that poster.

I'm a fan of the poster - as I told him via private message the other day, and as he immediately relayed to this entire group. I hope he sticks around - he knows a lot of history.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I'm a fan of the poster - as I told him via private message the other day, and as he immediately relayed to this entire group. I hope he sticks around - he knows a lot of history.
Well, now we're getting into overall legacy, which is the topic of this thread... ;)

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

Thing is, this 20 year long “prank” was completely unnecessary, because this poster actually brought something of value to this forum, hockey-wise…and we didn’t all need to believe he’s 20-30 years older than he actually was this entire time to read and enjoy his postings. Just completely ridiculous and unnecessary.

Now, after all this was exposed…I’d say the best thing he could do is just come clean. I feel like he’s “too far in” at this point that it likely won’t happen. But as a poster, I’m not really sure there’s any coming back from this debacle. And it’s a shame, because he’s one of us. One of the hardcores. He loves his hockey history, it’s obvious.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Thing is, this 20 year long “prank” was completely unnecessary, because this poster actually brought something of value to this forum, hockey-wise…and we didn’t all need to believe he’s 20-30 years older than he actually was this entire time to read and enjoy his postings.

Now, after all this was exposed…I’d say the best thing he could do is just come clean. I feel like he’s “too far in” at this point that it likely won’t happen. But as a poster, I’m not really sure there’s any coming back from this debacle. And it’s a shame, because he’s one of us. One of the hardcores.
I don't disagree with this. You take the good, you take the bad and there you have the facts of life, the facts of life...

(See, I *am* actually old. And if you remember that theme song, so are you.)

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Regarding Big Phil, I honestly don't really care that he lied. People lie online and I have never taken any poster's word all that seriously. I'm sure that others have lied about their age, either explicitly or implicitly, just as I'm sure that some have lied about where they come from, their experiences, and god knows what else. In fact I never even realized that Phil was pretending to be much older than he really seems to be. As odious as some of the things posted seem to be (Sandy Hook and covid conspiracy nonsense etc.) I generally ignore whenever posters veer away from hockey. I don't want hockey discussion to be bogged down by a given poster's opinions on other matters.

Phil might as well admit what we all know, and yes it is funny, but I'm planning to let it go going forward. I'll look back and laugh once in a while but it's no big thing. I also assumed that it was settled in the minds of others that he wrote that book. Must also say that I find digging into people's social media outside of the site to prove a point a bit beyond what is necessary. Many posters carry the baggage of their past opinions with them when they post, good or bad, and this is a sizable bag that one poster will carry going forward, though there are ways to mitigate it.

Anyway, the thread certainly turned in a memorable direction. It certainly takes away from the discussion on Hull's legacy, which I found far too black and white (even in my own post really) but the discussion on Hull wasn't going anywhere worthwhile from what I could see.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Regarding Big Phil, I honestly don't really care that he lied. People lie online and I have never taken any poster's word all that seriously. I'm sure that others have lied about their age, either explicitly or implicitly, just as I'm sure that some have lied about where they come from, their experiences, and god knows what else. In fact I never even realized that Phil was pretending to be much older than he really seems to be. As odious as some of the things posted seem to be (Sandy Hook and covid conspiracy nonsense etc.) I generally ignore whenever posters veer away from hockey. I don't want hockey discussion to be bogged down by a given poster's opinions on other matters.

Phil might as well admit what we all know, and yes it is funny, but I'm planning to let it go going forward. I'll look back and laugh once in a while but it's no big thing. I also assumed that it was settled in the minds of others that he wrote that book. Must also say that I find digging into people's social media outside of the site to prove a point a bit beyond what is necessary. Many posters carry the baggage of their past opinions with them when they post, good or bad, and this is a sizable bag that one poster will carry going forward, though their are ways to mitigate it.

Anyway, the thread certainly turned in a memorable direction. It certainly takes away from the discussion on Hull's legacy, which I found far too black and white (even in my own post really) but the discussion on Hull wasn't going anywhere worthwhile from what I could see.

By and large, I agree with you. I'm not a board regular but it seems from previous posts that Big Phil (s) previously used that lie/intention specifically to act holier-than-thou/have more a claim to opinions than younger posters. If that's the case, I'd say the pile-on is richly deserved.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
By and large, I agree with you. I'm not a board regular but it seems from previous posts that Big Phil (s) previously used that lie/intention specifically to act holier-than-thou/have more a claim to opinions than younger posters. If that's the case, I'd say the pile-on is richly deserved.
Others may disagree but I never found that Big Phil attempted to trump others by claiming to be older and having witnessed various things with any sort of regularity. Not a poster I found to attempt to speak with an air of authority. Now if we had found out that former HFBoards member Canadiens1958 was really in his early 30s back in the day or something, that would have been something. Big Phil? Eh, he comes off like a rock'em sock'em hockey fan (and his many times stated fandom for Cherry's Rock'em Sock'em videos probably does reveal his real age) who wouldn't be out of place with a Wendel Clark avatar.

To me it's just a poster who like discussing a wide range of hockey topics (and apparently other non-hockey things that I ignored) and appreciated a hockey culture that has largely been left behind, for better or worse. I never took him as a guy trying to claim that he knew it all because he'd seen it all - and such posters have existed and do exist. Lying about age seemed very pointless in this case as I don't think he even tried to play the wise old sage.

Last edited:

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Big Phil

I prefer to not judge people by their mistakes, or when they are at their low points.

I would have been done and buried a long time ago if everyone judged me only by my mistakes.

I’ve appreciate your posts here for some time. I hope you’ll come back and keep posting.

Blessings, my man!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad