Bobby Hull legacy thread (see admin warning post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Read the first few pages of this thread at work yesterday.

I couldn’t stop reading.

Remembered the thread this am, but just went straight to the last page (who wants to read 27 pages; I just wanted to see if everyone kind of saw where people with opposing views were coming from)…

Lo and behold, I can now cancel my Netflix and Paramount + accounts because I have enough reading material here to keep me entertained until the summer.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
I’ve been struggling with this for several days now but believe that the truth will set me free.

Folks, I’m not really a Badger.

Truth be told, my father was a hamster and my mother smelled of elderberries.

I’m so very sorry for misleading you all.
I’m told your main hobby is cutting down the largest trees in the forest with a herring.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
I’ve laughed as much as anyone over the last few pages of this thread, but I just want to strike a different note here and say that this whole thing is a bit of a tragedy. Only an internet tragedy, not on a Bobby Hull scale.

I’m a couple of years younger than the youngest estimates of Big Phil’s age, and I started reading and posting in HOH a few years after he did. There were a few posters here who were older, had watched several decades of NHL history, and were respected for it. Their words carried a certain authority and while other posters might disagree with them based on reading, awards, stats, etc, they always got a certain amount of deference.

It can be frustrating as a young man in your teens and/or early 20s to feel like you have something to say, and feel that you aren’t taken seriously because you’re younger. I certainly felt that when I first started posting here, and for that reason I avoided putting my age out there at first, and maybe even implied a time or two that I was a bit older than I was. But then I realized that was cringe and it was way better to just be straight up about who I was, to the extent I shared personal information.

So I get that it’s attractive to fudge things in an attempt to be taken more seriously, but it’s sad that the pursuit of unearned “hockey authority” has gone on this long when Phil could have been honest and forthright and been a valued member of the community. Instead he’s basically isolated now.

All you young posters out there, keep your stick on the ice and don’t be cringe…even if you don’t plan on sticking around the same forum for 20 years, you never know.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Damn, isn't he even Canadian? Or is this "Yankee Phil" one of his, er, roles?

Quite frankly, I don't even remember if he's ever claimed to be Canadian (or American per se in those FB/HF posts), but I thought it was given.
Unfortunately, there is nothing specifically American about believing disgusting conspiracy theories. Big Phill told us all here the Sandy Hook shooting was not real, in part, because he thought the shooter looked too skinny to be able to hold a rifle.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Unfortunately, there is nothing specifically American about believing disgusting conspiracy theories. Big Phill told us all here the Sandy Hook shooting was not real, in part, because he thought the shooter looked too skinny to be able to hold a rifle.
It wasn't any conspiracy theories in those posts @Theokritos showed that made me question whether he was American or Canadian; just that the overall tone (all the Republicans/Democrats, "(...) destroy our culture" talk) sounded awfully like that of a conservative American (citizen).

I'm sure the happenings/politics in the United States affect Canada too somewhat (and the rest of the world, for that matter), but at least Canadians don't have to live — unlike us Finns — next to Russia (who starts a war with its neighbor).

Last edited:
Reactions: cole von cole

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
It wasn't any conspiracy theories in those posts @Theokritos showed that made me question whether he was American or Canadian; just that the overall tone (all the Republicans/Democrats, "(...) destroy our culture" talk) sounded awfully like that of a conservative American (citizen).

I'm sure the happenings/politics in the United States affect Canada too somewhat (and the rest of the world, for that matter), but at least Canadians don't have to live — unlike us Finns — next to Russia (who starts a war with its neighbor).
Canadians on the far right tend to adopt a lot of the language and causes of the American right, even though it is almost always a very awkward fit. By the same token Canadians on the far left tend to pretend that American social issues exist to the same degree in Canada and take their cues from the American far left. To me it has become a legitimate issue in the country as people consume news as entertainment and in Canada people seem increasingly unable to figure out Canadian issues and in some cases don't even care.

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Nothing like making a wild-assed claim as fact and then daring others to provide data to prove you wrong.

PEOPLE LOVE THE FIGHTING! Prove me wrong.

RATINGS ARE DOWN! Prove me wrong.

DON CHERRY TELLS IT LIKE IT IS AND MOST PEOPLE LOVE HIM! Prove me wrong.

FFS, Phil. You sure that you wouldn't prefer a blog to a discussion forum?

Nothing like a good Phil argument stream. I see nothing has changed in his strategy!

You should check out the main board (I know, actually a compliment about the main board) that specifically says "stick to hockey" and it actually does. Much more pleasant conversation for sure.

It definitely is an easier conversation when you can avoid what you don't want to talk about. That's for sure.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Who would've thought we'd get a satisfying conclusion to this thread given the first 15 or so pages

who-wouldve-thought-not-me.gif

Last edited:

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canadians on the far right tend to adopt a lot of the language and causes of the American right, even though it is almost always a very awkward fit. By the same token Canadians on the far right tend to pretend that American social issues exist to the same degree in Canada and take their cues from the American far left. To me it has become a legitimate issue in the country as people consume news as entertainment and in Canada people seem increasingly unable to figure out Canadian issues and in some cases don't even care.
The Canadian obsession with America is the single biggest issue in this country.

Want healthcare improved? Well, at least it's better than the States so let's ignore it.

Think University is too expensive? Well, it's cheaper than in the US so let's ignore it.

Want to do more on reconciliation? Americans don't care so it doesn't have the level of public pressure

Think housing is a crisis? Left wings want to implement American centric solutions that won't work here. Right wings scream because now Americans/Canadians can't own vacation properties in the other country.

The far right infiltration in Canada is wholly through American sources and from people obsessing over American news.

Any discussion on any issue inevitably comes back to US politics and it makes it difficult to improve anything.

We are different countries. Ignoring your own problems because of American TV helps no one.

I'm heated about it. Because people keep throwing 1st/2nd Amendment stuff at me despite them literally being foreign laws.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Watching Beef's reaction progress last night was like sitting with a friend who's watching one of your favorite movies for the first time. "Oh, he's about to get to this part!"

The best part is that Beef knows that I and others (assuming he pinged Troy, too) would know exactly what he meant even without him verbalizing it, LOL.

Who would've thought we'd get a satisfying conclusion to this thread given the first 15 or so pages

who-wouldve-thought-not-me.gif

HFBoards is officially a better place today than it was a few days ago.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
Several years ago an exchange prompted me to take a quick look at your... oops, I mean: his Facebook account. Here's roughly how it looked like:

June 10. Phil Schlenker posts on Facebook: "Incredible how the liberals and the media are ruining everything that is great about America. Heck, if John F. Kennedy was alive today he'd be a Republican."​
June 11. Big Phil posts on the (now defunct) HF Politics forum: "Unbelievable, the ways that Democrats and their friends in the mainstream media go to destroy our culture. Honestly, a patriot like JFK would be cancelled by them today."​
June 12. Big Phil posts on the HF Politics forum: "Heck, if you don't believe me that the deep state is working against the people and for the NWO, just look at the way they covered up the truth about 9/11."​
June 13. Phil Schlenker posts on Facebook: "To be honest, even if a real patriot was voted president today we'd might never learn the truth about things like September 11. Elections hardly matter anymore, the real powers that be are working behind the surface to bring about the new world order."​

The next time you see your friend Phil (who, BTW, looks pretty big in that video – no offence), tell him how lucky you are to have found a friend who is so completely like you that other people can hardly tell you guys apart.
pete-carroll.gif

well done sir

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022

Ironically Big Phil himself would be the first one to tell you that Russia was justified in invading Ukraine because of NATO expansion or some shit like that. Its amazing how people like that get the exact same talking points from the exact same sources, and its all so predictable - 9/11, Sandy Hook (though that's a bridge too far even for most republicans), election denialism, Russia/Ukraine, covid/anti-vaxx...

But, they're just asking questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad