Bobby Burgers

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Funny how people always point to the Coyotes to show analytics doesn't work, but ignore success stories like the Leafs and Tampa. Remember the blog Irreverent Oilers Fans that helped bring analytics into the mainstream? The dude who created that has a Cup ring from the Capitals.

Pretty sure the Oilers are one of the few teams in the league who don't have an in-house analytics department.

And it really shows.
Vic Ferrari was his name I think..ironic that Oiler fans like him basically brought analytics into the mainstream yet the team they cheer for doesn't use them very much

and they hired Tyler Dellow, to what extent they used him I'm not sure but Bob Nicholson said they stopped using a lot of their analytics 4 years ago

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
FU Bobby. Chiarelli should’ve been canned long ago. The fact that he was able to execute the Manning deal and the Koskinen contract, even when he was hours from being canned, falls directly at the feet of Nicholson and whoever the other stooges were who signed off on those moves. He should’ve been on a tight leash after the Reinhart deal and the Hall trade should never have happened. It did. If that wasnt a cause for termination, the Lucic signing certainly shouldve been. But the clown car kept rolling and Bobbys foot was nowhere near the brake. Now all this half-assed mea culpa while the stooges who’ve been here ruining things for a decade plus all scramble for soft landing spots. Burn it all down.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Vic Ferrari was his name I think..ironic that Oiler fans like him basically brought analytics into the mainstream yet the team they cheer for doesn't use them very much

and they hired Tyler Dellow, to what extent they used him I'm not sure but Bob Nicholson said they stopped using a lot of their analytics 4 years ago

They were definitely getting some bad info from somewhere. Remember "Kris Russell is one of the top D men in the league at zone exits"?

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Funny how people always point to the Coyotes to show analytics doesn't work, but ignore success stories like the Leafs and Tampa. Remember the blog Irreverent Oilers Fans that helped bring analytics into the mainstream? The dude who created that has a Cup ring from the Capitals.

Pretty sure the Oilers are one of the few teams in the league who don't have an in-house analytics department.

And it really shows.

The Leafs are a success story?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
His speak is being represented as stupid, when infact, it's nice to see some recognition and admission of mistakes, Some full disclosure going on.

I see a guy trying to admit wrong doings, unfortunately, not in the most graceful of manners.

Fans jumping all over it and missing the point...IMO
Admission of mistakes is fine. Continuing to make the same ones repeatedly, is not.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Admission of mistakes is fine. Continuing to make the same ones repeatedly, is not.

Just seems like he is learning on the fly and in the mean time the team continues to suffer.
It would be nice to see "I hired the wrong GM, so now I'm interviewing a lot of GM's and I brought in persons X,Y and Z to help me make sure I'm making the right choice."
People like Steve Yzerman and Brian Burke may not want to be a GM, but maybe you can bring them in short term to help select one.

Reactions: MikeGrier99

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
One thing is clear. He’s been humbled at how badly this blew up in his face. There is no doubt the Oilers are going to protect MacTavish as Nicholson is touting the Condors success as MacT’s achievement.

But a massive dose of humble pie would serve this organization well. They always think they are the smartest people in the room.

One thing that amazes me is that MacT seemingly has no pride at all. Apparently he is quite happy to hang on to his job despite the fact that the main reason he is employed is because he is a friend of Katz. Apparently he is just fine with failing year after year and avoiding any accountability.
He is like a hockey bureaucrat and he seems to have no problem imposing himself on each new regime.
He should step down when his contract expires but we all know he wont.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
One thing that amazes me is that MacT seemingly has no pride at all. Apparently he is quite happy to hang on to his job despite the fact that the main reason he is employed is because he is a friend of Katz. Apparently he is just fine with failing year after year and avoiding any accountability.
He is like a hockey bureaucrat and he seems to have no problem imposing himself on each new regime.
He should step down when his contract expires but we all know he wont.
I’m sure in his mind MacT is still brilliant and he thinks he can be a big part of turning this whole mess around. It was someone else’s fault. Right? In other words, he’s as arrogant and delusional as the rest of our stooge management team. The fact that he’s part of the problem doesnt even cross his mind. Remember recent studies that show the less you actually know, and the dumber you are, the more certain you are that your opinions are correct and the more “decisive” and unwilling to entertain other opinions you become. Oilers management, in a nutshell folks.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
It's time to show him the door too. He's an even bigger failure than Chiarelli.

He's the best we've got though! THis org has been all guys that flunked out the 1st day of NHL management school. Now Bobby Burgers has passed the introductory course!

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

The thing about incompetent people is they don't actually know they are incompetent.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Leafs are a success story?

I mean relatively, yes. They started their rebuild with no McDavid around the same time as us and are going to the playoffs for the third straight year with likely their second straight 100 point season.

They're one point removed from a top 5 standing in the league.

I'd say all things considered, their rebuild has gone about as well as could be expected if you asked them in 2015 where they'd like to be 3 1/2 years later. The Oilers on the other hand ...

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
They were definitely getting some bad info from somewhere. Remember "Kris Russell is one of the top D men in the league at zone exits"?

I think we've finally figured it out. They got their analytics data similarly to how Burger Boy is doing his search, by asking other teams analytics departments. "Yes, Pete, analysis shows that Russell is definitely the best in the league at zone exits, you should play him as much as possible!!!"

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'm far from a Leafs fan but I'd say what they have been able to achieve in a short time after years of garbage is an absolute success.

I'd further suggest that they did a great job of dealing with their albatross contracts to eat as much salary as possible during everyone's ELC and now they've rid themselves of all of them. They even structured Marleau's in such a way that if they have a cap crunch after signing Marner, they can trade Marleau to someone that will virtually pay no real dollars for him just cap space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad