Bobby Burgers

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This is your old brain on Alcohol. Or pickled with the stuff. Some people sound like this whether they are impaired or not, as the brain is by then impaired. Often wondered that about Nicholson.

lol that now he outed that they are going from analytics to eyeballs. As in seen em good style. This org forever goes in circles chasing its tail.

If this org made paper clips they would be defective.

Just slurring his words and more bull**** platitudes.

I just want to feel good watching this team again, collectively we deserve a lot better as fans.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
How did he become so respected in the hockey community then?

Like I said, you can argue ALOT of hindsight decisions, but the plan going forward was something being envied for years

In comparison to other pro sports the NHL hockey world is particularly imbecilic and populated with such legends as Harold Ballard and Bill Wirtz as the owner archetypes. The dumb trickles down from there. Most NHL orgs are not well run. Half a dozen disguise that its a league of idiots compared to other leagues. Any Monkey could get Hockey Canada teams to dance on the world stage.

Nicholson is classic old school business. Drink and Schmooze with the most people and develop the most contacts for endless self promotion. Its all he is. If you're drunk all the time Bob is a solid good guy.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Well thats the problem right there then, they should start running this operation like a sports team and not a cirque du soleil
That's the job of the person who is the President of Hockey Operations. The job that's currently vacant cause the guy got fired.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I mean the hockey community is pretty tight knit and lots of guys around the league are good friends.

So they would probably give good advice.

Everything is a catch 22. Not paying attention to analytics a few years back was not a sin. Chayka was crucified for years making that his priority...and lets be honest, the only reason it's paying off for them now is cuz they don't have a GM as bad as Chia at cap management handing out inflated contracts..or 2 superstars they had to.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
It’s funny, not long ago, I heard him giving that interview about how he made a mistake hiring Chia, and I was hammered at the time, so I thought he sounded “stupid” because I was inebriated. After hearing this, I realize I was wrong... he actually does sound that stupid.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
In comparison to other pro sports the NHL hockey world is particularly imbecilic and populated with such legends as Harold Ballard and Bill Wirtz as the owner archetypes. The dumb trickles down from there. Most NHL orgs are not well run. Half a dozen disguise that its a league of idiots compared to other leagues. Any Monkey could get Hockey Canada teams to dance on the world stage.

Nicholson is classic old school business. Drink and Schmooze with the most people and develop the most contacts for endless self promotion. Its all he is. If you're drunk all the time Bob is a solid good guy.

And LA and Chi won several cups off GM's who operate the same way. Yet somehow the mindset has shifted to Yzerman, who hasn't won s***

Currently, Babcock is the winning the war of words over Dubas

Uindicator

Sep 27, 2010
That's the job of the person who is the President of Hockey Operations. The job that's currently vacant cause the guy got fired.
Oh ya the guy who hired Chiarelli?? Ya let’s give bob another jab at it cause he obviously knows what he’s doing.

Reactions: MikeYEG

MikeGrier99

May 20, 2017
In comparison to other pro sports the NHL hockey world is particularly imbecilic and populated with such legends as Harold Ballard and Bill Wirtz as the owner archetypes. The dumb trickles down from there. Most NHL orgs are not well run. Half a dozen disguise that its a league of idiots compared to other leagues.

Agreed 100% Just imagine if the Oilers front office had a pulse, strived to be as good as they could be, demand results, innovate, be ahead of the game, be the best in the league at developing players. Nah we got none of that, precisely the opposite actually.

Also having "culture" doesn't necessarily mean "keep everyone despite repeated failure." Culture means it's "more than a club" like FC Barcelona's motto. It doesn't matter what your name is, when you aren't at the highest level you're not representing that club. Football Clubs will show loyalty if it's deserved, such as with Sir Alex Ferguson, but also at the same time ruthlessly fire even the biggest names, such as Jose Mourinho.

Yeah the Oilers can't dominate like those clubs can, but they could model themselves after hyper competitive organisations like MLB, NFL, Soccer, etc. The Oilers are 100% self satisfied with themselves though and it will never happen with the current group in place.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
I love how BN says he's asking other teams what they think. I'm sure they're just lining up to give the competition some great intel. If I owned a restaurant, and a rival owner from down the street came and asked me who he should hire to be his master chef, do you think I'd help out my direct competition, or would I tell them Jimmy the crackhead from 4C would be perfect for the job? ****ing clown shoes organization.

And he's so brain-dead he'll actually take their advice, even though they're just trolling him the way Chiarelli was by pretending to be a competent GM. lol Bob gtfo and retire to a nursing home you senile old f***.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
upload_2019-3-20_22-27-10.jpeg

upload_2019-3-20_22-27-39.jpeg

Reactions: Tremor and Beerfish

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Does anyone have any faith in Bob Nicholson as the guy to turn this around? The latest video of him speaking at the season ticket holder event was embarrassing.......

What causes me great stress in regards to the future of this franchise is I hear him in interviews explaining things to the “audience” like they/we have never considered or heard of them before....

GM search - we are going to do interviews

GM search - I am going to see what other teams think

GM search - lots of people telling me to take my time with this decision

Analytics - we are aware of them but not as much as 4 years ago......

Development - we are going to let guys over ripen

And then there are the ideas that have blinded this franchise for the past 10 years....

Culture! Culture! We miss Hendricks.

This team went 9-2 so we are a good team - just need character.

His interviews honestly sound like someone faking their way through an interview by using “buzz” words to try and sound like he knows what he is doing.....

These are not new concerns on this site but felt his incompetence needs it’s own thread.

I am convinced the guy has absolutely zero hockey smarts.

I have absolutely zero faith we turn this around.

Nope, I have no faith in Nicholson. At the end of the day he hired what appears to be the worst GM since Milbury. Now I know people make mistakes but it's the fact that he let this dummy make bad deal after bad deal until it was too little too late. Now he's left with a soon to be vacant GM position and coaching position and a roster that is comprised of mostly fringe nhlers and many albatross contracts. No good GM is going to be able to turn that around in short order. How this chump still has a position is beyond me. He Should really be let go asap along with the boyz on the bus

McBeastMode

Dec 29, 2012
Beside my neighbor..
It’s funny, not long ago, I heard him giving that interview about how he made a mistake hiring Chia, and I was hammered at the time, so I thought he sounded “stupid” because I was inebriated. After hearing this, I realize I was wrong... he actually does sound that stupid.

So he admits it was a mistake hiring Chia, who screwed this team up for years to come..
And he still has a job, and yet, he gets to do the same thing over again...

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
One thing is clear. He’s been humbled at how badly this blew up in his face. There is no doubt the Oilers are going to protect MacTavish as Nicholson is touting the Condors success as MacT’s achievement.

But a massive dose of humble pie would serve this organization well. They always think they are the smartest people in the room.

elmeroil

Feb 3, 2013
I thought he was mickey mouse right from day 1 when they were doing some weird thing with lucky socks or something. Ok now we get 3 wishes.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Everything is a catch 22. Not paying attention to analytics a few years back was not a sin. Chayka was crucified for years making that his priority...and lets be honest, the only reason it's paying off for them now is cuz they don't have a GM as bad as Chia at cap management handing out inflated contracts..or 2 superstars they had to.

Funny how people always point to the Coyotes to show analytics doesn't work, but ignore success stories like the Leafs and Tampa. Remember the blog Irreverent Oilers Fans that helped bring analytics into the mainstream? The dude who created that has a Cup ring from the Capitals.

Pretty sure the Oilers are one of the few teams in the league who don't have an in-house analytics department.

And it really shows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad