Bobby Burgers Interview Rishaug/TSN 1260

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I would agree with both. Why would Chia listen to the OBC. The guy is full of himself and thinks he knows better. Just look at all those acquisitions. Not sure why 80% of the people still talks like Lowe and MacT are running the team.

Just look at all those old bruins connection. Spooner, Cave, Lucic. Add to that a bunch of eastern conference players brought in, eg wideman, Garrison, etc....

This smells like Chia all the way.

If MacT was the gm from the day we got McD, I bet you there wouldn't be Larson. Pouliot and Hendricks would still be oilers now on the 4th line. Hall and Eberle will be labelled as soft 3rd liners. It might be possible that MacT may have swung at Ryan Mcdonaugh and Sather might make a deal if we gave up Hall and a 2nd. This team will have a good pk. PP would still suck. Mcdonaugh would have demanded a trade. We would be running Nurse and Klefbom as our first pairing. We'd be a fringe playoff team holding onto a wild card spot every year. That Reinhart trade may not have happened. We probably pick up Aho and Chabot. Both busting in the minors and by now Aho and a 1st would be traded for some junk like Jake Muzzin to make that playoff push. Chabot would be behind Caleb Jones in any call ups.
MacT tried and (thankfully) failed to get David Clarkson...MacT literally mentioned the name Lucic and said the Oilers needed a guy like him at his opening presser...he would have DEFINITELY chased Looch
MacT was pushing for "bigger and stronger to compete in the Pacific division" forever...hence the Gazdic, Hendricks acquisitions

the Reinhart trade probably still happens too, considering Bob Green was hired by MacT from the Oil Kings and MacT's buddy Kevin Lowe had his son playing with Griffin during his time with the Oil Kings

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
MacT tried and (thankfully) failed to get David Clarkson...MacT literally mentioned the name Lucic and said the Oilers needed a guy like him at his opening presser...he would have DEFINITELY chased Looch
MacT was pushing for "bigger and stronger to compete in the Pacific division" forever...hence the Gazdic, Hendricks acquisitions

the Reinhart trade probably still happens too, considering Bob Green was hired by MacT from the Oil Kings and MacT's buddy Kevin Lowe had his son playing with Griffin during his time with the Oil Kings
These guys (Lowe, MacT, Howson) have shown zero acumen in running an NHL team. They were on successful teams in the 1980’s (not taking anything away from those teams) but the NHL, and sport in general, have grown by leaps and bounds since then.

The technology, training, systems, scouting has come SO far since these guys played and I have seen absolutely no proof that they have kept up with any of this and therefore are irrelevant in the modern NHL. They say “we tried analytics”. But hiring that blowhard Dellow and signing Pouliot and Fayne because of corsi is NOT using analytics in any meaningful way. I know analytics gets a bad rap and should not be relied on for everything. But it can be a valuable tool, combined with other resources to make and influence decisions for the organization. Analytics aren’t the problem, the application of analytics is the problem.

If I hear one more time about how Lowe built the 2006 team I’ll puke. That was a great run but it was 13 years ago! The game has changed so much since then and these muppets have been left in the dust. How many times have they changed course and direction in reaction to the way the NHL game is going? It’s because they have no plan and no idea what to do. They are reactionary.

And I know it will never change. New GM (or Kretzky) will be hired and the same people will be here behind the scenes. No direction, no plan, no clue. When you admit that you’ve interviewed for the GM position once in 30 years you’re running a tree fort, not a professional organization.

Last edited:

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
It's become pretty clear now that the Oilers' organization is the equivalent of a corporation wherein executive and lesser managers are all busy running around doing whatever the memo from the boss says to do in order to protect their paychecks and retirement plans, which in their current positions are far more attractive than what they would justifiably be at any other company on earth that paid and promoted according to actual job performance and ability. The boss himself, meanwhile, is filthy rich and spends his time elsewhere (in Katz's case, Palm Springs, where there are many cocktail waitresses), having no real knowledge of what's going on and also not needing to care enough about money to ensure his corporation is sound.

Nicholson is typical of the executives in the Oiler corporation. He's not an idiot. He probably knows that the entire organization is inherently corrupted by top-down incompetence, but he also knows that his paycheck is better than he could get anywhere else. All the guy has to do is oversee some bumbling fools and deliver one or two press conferences a year (sometimes less) that a well-trained parrot could easily do, full of vague rhetoric and platitudes. That's all he has to do and he gets a lot of money. Same with Lowe, MacTavish, Howson, Green...

If I were any of them, I would keep cashing my paychecks also. I can't blame them for taking the money and doing the bare minimum that the boss demands.

The essential problem is Katz.

This is the problem in a nutshell. Couldn't agree more. I don't blame the execs taking a cushy salary, even though they are failing over and over and over again. I blame the owner, the guy who is dumb enough to keep these execs with the corporation.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
These guys (Lowe, MacT, Howson) have shown zero acumen in running an NHL team. They were on successful teams in the 1980’s (not taking anything away from those teams) but the NHL, and sport in general, have grown by leaps and bounds since then.

The technology, training, systems, scouting has come SO far since these guys played and I have seen absolutely no proof that they have kept up with any of this and therefore are irrelevant in the modern NHL. They say “we tried analytics”. But hiring that blowhard Dellow and signing Pouliot and Fayne because of corsi is NOT using analytics in any meaningful way. I know analytics gets a bad rap and should not be relied on for everything. But it can be a valuable tool, combined with other resources to make and influence decisions for the organization. Analytics aren’t the problem, the application of analytics is the problem.

If I hear one more time about how Lowe built the 2006 team I’ll puke. That was a great run but it was 13 years ago! The game has changed so much since then and these muppets have been left in the dust. How many times have they changed course and direction in reaction to the way the NHL game is going? It’s because they have no plan and no idea what to do. They are reactionary.

And I know it will never change. New GM (or Kretzky) will be hired and the same people will be here behind the scenes. No direction, no plan, no clue. When you admit that you’ve interviewed for the GM position once in 30 years you’re running a tree fort, not a professional organization.
Even that was a complete fluke because he caught some other GMs scared about the salary cap until they realized almost immediately that oh the salary cap is easy to navigate, even Kevin Lowe can do it!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
His apparent "eureka" moment when he stated the team needs to keep prospects down until they "over ripen" particularly grated on me, as if he just invented that brilliant idea. Where the hell has that been for the last 10 years, or, the last 4 on his watch? I can't speak to his overall duties, but the man is clueless regarding the hockey operations.

Reactions: MikeYEG

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
The cream sure doesn't rise to the top in much of the hockey world. This guy should be running a peewee team. He's clearly not the sharpest knife in the drawer......unless Klowe, Katz and MacT are in the drawer with you.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
How many times have they changed course and direction in reaction to the way the NHL game is going? It’s because they have no plan and no idea what to do. They are reactionary.
I like that. Need some people with vision in here. Some creative juices in the mold. These guys are just mold.

Reactions: MikeYEG and TB12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad