Speculation: Bob McKenzie's Bobcast: Drouin for Shatterkirk trade

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Drouin is going to be a very special player one day.

This should be in the Roster thread, we don't need a separate thread for Drouin talk.

That said I don't see it in Drouin. He's got a ton of talent and offensive flair I just don't see a special player. His ES scoring needs to improve, he's a heck of a PP scorer but he can't rely on half his points coming from there. His shooting took a huge strides this year which is a plus as he couldn't score his first 2 years. The way he skates recklessly at times and the hits he's already taken are also a cause for concern as he could start getting some concussion problems. I could see him hit ppg once maybe twice in his career but when he came out he was expected to be a ppg player on a regular basis and I just don't see that in him.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This should be in the Roster thread, we don't need a separate thread for Drouin talk.

That said I don't see it in Drouin. He's got a ton of talent and offensive flair I just don't see a special player. His ES scoring needs to improve, he's a heck of a PP scorer but he can't rely on half his points coming from there. His shooting took a huge strides this year which is a plus as he couldn't score his first 2 years. The way he skates recklessly at times and the hits he's already taken are also a cause for concern as he could start getting some concussion problems. I could see him hit ppg once maybe twice in his career but when he came out he was expected to be a ppg player on a regular basis and I just don't see that in him.

Reading around the net and twitter, Drouin may be looking for 6 million plus for 6 or 7 years. No question Drouin can become a very good player, but he needs an attitude check, and think his potential is being thrown out of proportion like you are saying. He should not be making that kind of money after only one good season, not even great, just good. Do you think he can be bridged? Or does his agent want nothing to do with that? Should be interesting how this progresses.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I don't think he will be with us next season. Yzerman doesn't like players who think they can do whatever they want.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Reading around the net and twitter, Drouin may be looking for 6 million plus for 6 or 7 years. No question Drouin can become a very good player, but he needs an attitude check, and think his potential is being thrown out of proportion like you are saying. He should not be making that kind of money after only one good season, not even great, just good. Do you think he can be bridged? Or does his agent want nothing to do with that? Should be interesting how this progresses.

How the **** does this kid get off thinking he's worth 6mil? Like seriously something is wrong with him or his agent to even suggest that. He scored 1 more ES point than PP, what are his comparables to go by to come up with that number? The only one I can think of is Saad who didn't have insane numbers, better than Drouin's, and got 6 after his ELC but he also had 2 cups to his name.

I think we can and will bridge him, if he stays. We are not giving him that kind of money before he proves he's worth it. 2 years 3.75 a year is what he should get. The problem then becomes he's arbitration eligible after and is going to be a pain to negotiate with. We need to move on from him but also get a proper return. He's going to be more of a headache than a help going forward.

ltpato

Feb 27, 2015
MTL
Trade him for Hanifin

Hedman - Dotchin/Stralman
Hanifin - Docthin/Stralman/Coburn

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
**** no to trading Drouin. He will be an unstoppable force in his prime. And especially not for a #2/3 defenseman.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I think a mature Drouin is a really good player. I wouldn't trade him. I'd trade Johnson, even Palat before trading Drouin. With that said I don't think we trade any of them.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Drouin has no leverage in this round of negotiations so it's either a bridge deal or he sits until he signs or is traded for a ransom.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I think a mature Drouin is a really good player. I wouldn't trade him. I'd trade Johnson, even Palat before trading Drouin. With that said I don't think we trade any of them.

Well, Drouin is a better player than those 2, and is younger, so yeah.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Well, Drouin is a better player than those 2, and is younger, so yeah.

Younger yes but that's it. He's not better than them. He's much more skilled than them but he's not a better NHL player yet, he has worked to do on his game.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Not a very hard guess, but I am thinking Drouin publicly rescinded his trade demand but privately still wanted out. The money thing doesn't make sense, because the Shatty rumor was before Drouin upped his performance, which tells me he didn't really have leverage to ask for so much while in the meantime he was still being shopped.

If you connect the dots on everything said by Yzerman and connected guys to this point, it looks like Drouin won't be here next year. It's all about maximizing return now.

I'm mad that we skipped Jones for him, but will be even madder if we get a garbage return. We've had some great pickups through the draft, but in the Yzerman era, sadly, Vasy is the only 1st round pick that looks to have been a hit.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
I am convinced Drouin is going to ask for a proven super star's contract.

He's a Prima Donna:
a vain, undisciplined, egotistical, obnoxious or temperamental person who finds it difficult to work under direction or as part of a team but whose contributions are essential to the success of a team

We need to trade him asap. Yzerman saw the writing on the wall when he pulled that stunt last year, and it looks like he hasn't stopped trying to trade him.

VoluntaryDom

Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I am convinced Drouin is going to ask for a proven super star's contract.

He's a Prima Donna:

We need to trade him asap. Yzerman saw the writing on the wall when he pulled that stunt last year, and it looks like he hasn't stopped trying to trade him.

No, we should pay up.

Butchered

I'm with Kuch
Apr 30, 2004
A real bummer that we're going to lose this guy over some garbage coaching decisions. It was clear from the get go that Drouin was not going to get a fair shake.

I agree with the assessment that he publicly removed his trade request but very privately still made it clear he wanted out. His value has raised but now that it's out that TB was trying to unload him, pressure is all back on Yzerman again to get max value when it's likely the rest of the league knows Drouin doesn't want to be there.

Last edited:

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
A real bummer that we're going to lose this guy over some garbage coaching decisions. It was clear from the get go that Drouin was not going to get a fair shake.

I agree with the assessment that he publicly removed his trade request but very privately still made it clear he wanted out. His value has raised but now that it's out that TB was trying to unload him, pressure is all back on Yzerman again to get max value when it's likely the rest of the league knows Drouin doesn't want to be there.

I think we have to give Drouin (his parents?) blame here, if he really is about to engage in a trade/contract dispute. I don't have a problem with the role Cooper assigned to him this season. I understand the frustration with not having the best linemates, and the occasional benchings, but going nuclear again is a little ridiculous to me. He got first PP time, a healthy amount of ES minutes, and the opportunity to lead his own line.

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Yzerman was clever last season not trading him when his trade value was as low as it could get. But now I think it's time to trade him. I'm afraid he'll get enough of this team and what happened last season will happen again. Trade him now while he has value.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

Eh - issues are very different this time. He's not arbitration eligible, so he'll be back next year whether he wants to or not, and any offer sheet he signs that we wouldn't match would a) require a ton of cap space for the signing team [most contending teams aren't sitting there with the ~6+ million in cap space we wouldn't match], and b) require them all to have at least their 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks next season (which means the Coyotes, Blackhawks, Panthers, Wild, Sens, Sharks, Caps, and Leafs are off the board as well just so far - the draft could remove a few other teams from this list).

If a team plans to OS Drouin, we'll see some signs. They'll shed some salary and either try and get *back* their draft pick they traded away (if one of the above), or there will be some rumors about a trade between us before it happens.

The thing is, we'll match a market rate contract for Drouin. So for a team to OS him, they'll have to go over the market rate AND give up a lot of assets. That's a tough position for any team to be in. So the most likely outcome is he is back here next season. Second most likely is he's traded. OS just isn't likely.

Edit: I'll also say this - I'm frustrated with his usage and I'm sure he is too. I still don't like how he handled last season with his suspension, and think that was a really bad look for any player in this league (especially young players). However - I don't begrudge him anything if he wants to pull every penny he can from the Lightning/force a trade at this juncture. Those are within his rights as a player and he shouldn't feel like he has no choice in where he wants to play.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yzerman was clever last season not trading him when his trade value was as low as it could get. But now I think it's time to trade him. I'm afraid he'll get enough of this team and what happened last season will happen again. Trade him now while he has value.

His value has certainly gone up. Played nearly a full season, and produced 20 goals with 50 points, so a team would def love to get his RFA rights, just have to see if the deal is good enough, if it is, Yzerman will pull the trigger. I also think if it's true that if he wants a big contract now it is going to be inevitable trading him. Not sure how it works, but if he does not re-sign and holds out, does his RFA status become UFA by Dec 1st? Not sure of the rule there.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
His value has certainly gone up. Played nearly a full season, and produced 20 goals with 50 points, so a team would def love to get his RFA rights, just have to see if the deal is good enough, if it is, Yzerman will pull the trigger. I also think if it's true that if he wants a big contract now it is going to be inevitable trading him. Not sure how it works, but if he does not re-sign and holds out, does his RFA status become UFA by Dec 1st? Not sure of the rule there.

There would be a lot more holdouts if that was the case. If I recall, he goes to UFA if we don't extend a QO (and he doesn't have arbitration rights coming off of his ELC).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad