TSN: Bob McKenzie: O'Reilly and Myers

KennyFnPowers*

I think Oreilly's contract situation and the value of a very good and deep blueline (not just a top pair), makes a Myers for Oreilly deal a non starter.

I think the Sabres should be go after Oreilly hard (after July 1, when he can sign an extension)... they have the depth in futures to make it happen, and they could entice a 3rd team that possibly has a defensemen.

Does a Gorges, Grigorenko, 2016 2nd, 2017 1st get things moving on an extended Oreilly?

I like everything about that except the 1st.

yup, but younger and for longer

did she tell you i said that?

...he's on board with a 7x7 contract extension. Assuming that ROR is OK with that...

WAIT.WHAT? You want to pay this dude 50MILLION/7YRS? What am I missing here... 7 MILLION???

KennyFnPowers*

I'm right back to square one again. this guy has problem written all over him. COL would resign him if he was worth trading valued assets for.... Doesn't anyone remember how much it stunk when we had prima donnas in the locker room?

Ahh.. Right! It's hard to remember because of how nice it is right now without one. At this point, there are zero cry babies in the entire system. Let's keep it that way for as long as possible.

I think GMTM would not want this to be his first major move as a GM. too many negatives.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Let's not go overboard with the ROR bashing. ROR the player is not the same as ROR the negotiator. Otherwise, he wouldn't be playing such a vital role for the Avs, and Roy wouldn't be relying on him as much as he does.

We'd be incredibly lucky to have ROR on our team. The discussion should be focused on whether or not the cost of acquiring ROR offsets the risk of his contract status, not manufactured personal attacks because we're annoyed with Avs fans.

And as it stands today, it's expected that ROR will get $6.5 million+ for his next contract. Someone will pay that because players like him, at his age, rarely go to free agency.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Given ROR's history of trying to maximize every contract, I wouldn't trust a handshake from him and his agent.

I would only do the deal after the extension is signed.

In a perfect world, yes.

But this isn't the NBA. Sign and trade deals are so rare in the NHL, and it's highly doubtful he's going to take what he perceives to be a "low ball offer" from Colorado

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
Let's not go overboard with the ROR bashing. ROR the player is not the same as ROR the negotiator. Otherwise, he wouldn't be playing such a vital role for the Avs, and Roy wouldn't be relying on him as much as he does.

We'd be incredibly lucky to have ROR on our team. The discussion should be focused on whether or not the cost of acquiring ROR offsets the risk of his contract status, not manufactured personal attacks because we're annoyed with Avs fans.

And as it stands today, it's expected that ROR will get $6.5 million+ for his next contract. Someone will pay that because players like him, at his age, rarely go to free agency.

Well said

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
But does he have intangibles?

Are they measurable?

Drury then and O'Reilly now are in the same echelon defensively. Yet to be seen whether or not he has Drury's clutch goal scoring ability.

here we go...

It's less than 2 weeks away, but I'm having deja vu of our own versions of "Groundhog Day" threads. :laugh:

=====
On topic, I wouldn't do straight up, or with one side or the other adding, because I'd hang on to Myers to maintain a position of strength in the "Big 3" D-men between 51-55-57.

I'd offer a lesser package, without Myers as centerpiece, akin to Irving Zisman / Jame / other's offers.

I'd do after July 1, with a re-signed deal in place from COL. The old-NBA-style sign and trade. Need to reduce risk on the Sabres end.

Alternatively, lower the offer to COL so the risk of UFA is blunted.

What I've learned from this is it sucks to be COL. ROR's a coveted asset, who almost assuredly won't be replaced in kind, nor re-signed in COL, but yet COL needs to move him in the next ~13 months in order maximize asset value. I expect a lot of offers after July 1, and it's in COL's best interest to sell sooner rather than later, right?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
In a perfect world, yes.

But this isn't the NBA. Sign and trade deals are so rare in the NHL, and it's highly doubtful he's going to take what he perceives to be a "low ball offer" from Colorado

The negotiate an extension prior to a trade has happened a few times.

That's the only way I would trade for ROR. The flight risk is too great, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad