TSN: Bob McKenzie: O'Reilly and Myers

Chemical

Jul 22, 2014
Just be aware that O'Reilly (and esp. O'Reilly's dad) are in this for the money. That was clear to me in his last negotiation. They/He will go where ever the payday is the highest. And with a short a contract term as possible.

Sakic has his hands full on this one and in retrospect, Ryan should have been traded a couple of years ago.

There are lots of upside to O'Reilly's game but physicality is not really one of them. My son and I argue about O'Reilly's merits all the time. (I tell him banging is what Landeskog is there for…. he say's that places too many limits on Landeskog's game…. for O'Reilly's benefit. And that he's not asking for banging. But tells me to just watch how often O'Reilly bails out of corner and side board contests for the puck. He has a point!)

So, just recognize the upsides and downsides of any deal involving O'Reilly. Personally, I think Murray should pass on this one (if it arises) and definitely shouldn't part with Myers as the principle return in this deal.

If this is true then the course of action is obvious. Sign him in 18mo. to a big, short contract. He shelters the young guys for 2-3 years then becomes an asset we can move once his cost becomes prohibitive.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
If this is true then the course of action is obvious. Sign him in 18mo. to a big, short contract. He shelters the young guys for 2-3 years then becomes an asset we can move once his cost becomes prohibitive.

So we trade a guy that can be a cornerstone member of our top-4 for the next 5 years (while in his prime) at a very affordable contract for someone who we'll have for a few years just for the purpose of sheltering other players? Okay...

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
So we trade a guy that can be a cornerstone member of our top-4 for the next 5 years (while in his prime) at a very affordable contract for someone who we'll have for a few years just for the purpose of sheltering other players? Okay...

No. He said sign in 18 months...not trade. I think he'll want a long term deal though.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
The trade threads are awful. The Sabres are better off keeping Myers than trading him? In that case, how about you toss in Grigorenko, as well?

CupWanted

Memories of better days
Mar 4, 2008
I hope Murray wouldn't even think of doing this unless ROR agreed to an extension first. For arguments sake lets say ROR says he'll sign a 7 year 7 mil extension. Personally I don't think I'm comfortable paying a guy whose top offensive season is 50 whatever points that is no matter how good offensively he is.

I'd rather keep Myers either way because RoR isn't signing a hometown discount with whatever team trades for him.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
love ROR but love the promise of Myers more...would pass but would throw a hefty Pysyk led offer their way....again to beat a dead horse not enough to get it done...the plus's then are argued...god is it draft day yet?

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014
The trade threads are awful. The Sabres are better off keeping Myers than trading him? In that case, how about you toss in Grigorenko, as well?

Buffalo must make that trade because McKenzie made a compelling case for why it would be great for Colorado. Plus a couple of assistant GMs thought it was good.
Buffalo gets 'stability, versatility and leadership' for a ton of money
or a 2nd+prospect at the 2016 deadline. What's not to like?:sarcasm:

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
what does Jame think about all this...?

I think Oreilly's contract situation and the value of a very good and deep blueline (not just a top pair), makes a Myers for Oreilly deal a non starter.

I think the Sabres should be go after Oreilly hard (after July 1, when he can sign an extension)... they have the depth in futures to make it happen, and they could entice a 3rd team that possibly has a defensemen.

Does a Gorges, Grigorenko, 2016 2nd, 2017 1st get things moving on an extended Oreilly?

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
For this deal to work, I can only see it happening in the off-season. The Pegulas would visit ROR before the deal is consummated to ensure that he's on board with a 7x7 contract extension. Assuming that ROR is OK with that...

Myers for ROR+

Why the ROR+ from COL? Because COL ownership doesn't have the deep pockets of the Pegulas, and in real money Myers will only be paid $15M over the remainder of his contract. The boost to the bottom line justifies an extra prospect considering the enhanced profitability of the Avalanche franchise.

ROR = Chris Drury 2.0?

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
I think Oreilly's contract situation and the value of a very good and deep blueline (not just a top pair), makes a Myers for Oreilly deal a non starter.

I think the Sabres should be go after Oreilly hard (after July 1, when he can sign an extension)... they have the depth in futures to make it happen, and they could entice a 3rd team that possibly has a defensemen.

Does a Gorges, Grigorenko, 2016 2nd, 2017 1st get things moving on an extended Oreilly?

McCabe, Compher, STL 1st

I would struggle if we had to swap Pysyk/Gorges for McCabe, but I'd still do it.

Keep Gorges and play him on the bottom pair with one of the kids. There's something to be said about veteran defenseman with great leadership qualities mentoring a young d-core and eating up D-Zone starts. I think for that reason Gorges holds more value to us than other teams. However, I'd still trade him over Pysyk.

EDIT: This deal happens in the offseason. No way I'm touching O'Reilly when we're in the running for the Top pick.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It would help if McCabe was tearing up the AHL with stellar play to push his potential value as the needed LHD in all of this. If they are throwing in a first this year, which would be the assumption if Myers isn't in the deal, I assume it would need to be the higher of the two of the Isles or Blues picks.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don't see how a 2015 1st can be a part of the deal.

I wouldn't trade for ROR unless an extension had already been negotiated by Murray and signed after the trade parameters were agreed to with Colorado.

I'm not giving up the assets needed to acquire ROR without him being extended.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Just be aware that O'Reilly (and esp. O'Reilly's dad) are in this for the money. That was clear to me in his last negotiation. They/He will go where ever the payday is the highest. And with a short a contract term as possible.

Sakic has his hands full on this one and in retrospect, Ryan should have been traded a couple of years ago.

There are lots of upside to O'Reilly's game but physicality is not really one of them. My son and I argue about O'Reilly's merits all the time. (I tell him banging is what Landeskog is there for…. he say's that places too many limits on Landeskog's game…. for O'Reilly's benefit. And that he's not asking for banging. But tells me to just watch how often O'Reilly bails out of corner and side board contests for the puck. He has a point!)

So, just recognize the upsides and downsides of any deal involving O'Reilly. Personally, I think Murray should pass on this one (if it arises) and definitely shouldn't part with Myers as the principle return in this deal.

Interesting take. Thanks!

I wouldn't trade for ROR unless an extension had already been negotiated by Murray and signed after the trade parameters were agreed to with Colorado.

Yeah, that's implicite in anything I am proposing. They can't make the deal and expect to let him walk. And if the Avs are smart, they don't let him go without maximizing asset returns.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

agreed.

I think the approach that would work best (and protect our core), is to make the type of quantity offer that both gives Colorado a few pieces that fit their time frame, and also a few pieces that they can flip for the vet defensemen they are looking for (or we can make that deal separately and flip that player to them)

sabresandcanucks

Jul 2, 2009
I'm not going to add much that is original...

I don't think the timing is right for a trade right now. The scenario that would change my mind would be if the Sabres end up picking third in the 2015 draft, take Hanny, then move a defenseman for the center they need.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica

Sorry, I need to stop assuming that other people know that proposals I make for ROR are with a handshake agreement from he and his agent to re-sign long term in Buffalo.

I completely agree that giving up a 1st in this year's draft for the flight risk that is ROR is stupid.

Irving Zisman

Really Bad Grandpa
Nov 5, 2007
'Merica
I'm not going to add much that is original...

I don't think the timing is right for a trade right now. The scenario that would change my mind would be if the Sabres end up picking third in the 2015 draft, take Hanny, then move a defenseman for the center they need.

Also this. Acquiring him now would be suicide

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Sorry, I need to stop assuming that other people know that proposals I make for ROR are with a handshake agreement from he and his agent to re-sign long term in Buffalo.

I completely agree that giving up a 1st in this year's draft for the flight risk that is ROR is stupid.

Given ROR's history of trying to maximize every contract, I wouldn't trust a handshake from him and his agent.

I would only do the deal after the extension is signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad