TSN: Bob McKenzie: O'Reilly and Myers

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo
And now, with the NHL trade deadline just six weeks from today, I want in on some of that action.

"Hi, I'm Bob, long-time listener, first-time caller...I think Colorado should trade Ryan O'Reilly to Buffalo for Tyler Myers.

One for one. Boom. Done. I'll hang up and listen."

If only it were that easy.
It isn't often there's an NHL trade fit that seems so patently obvious as to be almost perfect for both teams involved, but Ryan O'Reilly for Tyler Myers may be as close as you can get.

Colorado is believed to be looking for a right-shot defencemen to bolster a right side that already features Erik Johnson and Tyson Barrie. A mobile, 6-foot-8 shutdown blueliner with some offensive upside like Myers would fill a considerable void on the Avs' blueline. Having young building block forwards such as Duchene, MacKinnon and Gabriel Landeskog would help to mitigate the loss of O'Reilly.

I was curious to get a sense from some NHL GMs and assistant GMs if they viewed O'Reilly for Myers even up as an equitable transaction. The majority I talked to thought it was a fine fit, a one-for-one that works from both sides and requires no additional picks or prospects.

One management-type who puts higher value on O'Reilly than Myers thought the Sabres should also send a draft pick to Colorado. But another said the financial discrepancy - Myers' cost efficiency versus the more costly anticipated UFA premium for O'Reilly – means Colorado should throw Buffalo a little something extra.
http://www.tsn.ca/a-ryan-o-reilly-trade-is-more-complicated-than-we-think-1.186227

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
The only interesting thing I took from this is that the trade deadline is only 6 weeks away. Feels like it's so much further away with this awful season. Also because January-March is the worst time of the year.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
He talks at length about why it's great deal for Colorado.

His thoughts on why Buffalo should do it are basically "Risto can replace Myers and they need ROR to be their second line center so Reinhart can be the 3rd line guy."

So, just to clarify, he's saying Risto and Pysyk are better equipped to hold down the right side of the blue line but McEichel, Reinhart, Girgensons, Grigorenko, and are other zillion center prospects can't handle the center position. Okay...

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The UFA thing is far too scary for me at this point. Not sure how the rest of you shake out, but ROR will be getting a payday in 18 months and it's going to be substantial.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
The UFA thing is far too scary for me at this point. Not sure how the rest of you shake out, but ROR will be getting a payday in 18 months and it's going to be substantial.

No team will trade a significant haul for ROR without first knowing they'll be able to re-sign him.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Losing him to free agency is concerning, paying him huge dollars is something I would be fine with. Giving up Myers and his excellent deal and play, is horrific.

My Cozen Dylan

Feb 21, 2014
Jacksonville, FL
I'd be weary to do this deal, and I definitely wouldn't do it before July. And I DEFINITELY would need a 5+ year extension done before he steps on the ice in October.

If we could somehow maybe move a Grigorenko or similar piece for a young RHD to replace Myers (more likely a #3/#4 guy) I'd be more comfortable making the deal.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I like O'Reilly a lot, but I'm not giving up a core asset for him unless he's signed for 5 for more years. Right now, it's highly likely that he would walk at the end of 2016, long before Buffalo's in contention.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Should we draft 1 or 2 we would have Girgs, Grigs, Sam and McEichel and ROR and be looking for a quality big young D. I think Sam is a good second line C in this league and that Grigs has some ability to be that position also. I guess I am saying that I do not want to put put 7 million a year-if he resigns-to replace what I think we have UNLESS there is a big trade after that for a sensational young goal scorer.....

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
It's insane to trade a key player for an unsigned ROR. My sense is that he is likely to test the open market no matter what.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Timmy isn't going to just throw Risto n Z into the fire if he trades Myers... It'll be addressed either in trade or FA. It may be a step back or it may be an improvement.

I don't have an issue with trading Myers..just has to be for the right player. I think ROR is the right one or at least the idea of ROR is the right one. He could totally bust..ha.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
He talks at length about why it's great deal for Colorado.

His thoughts on why Buffalo should do it are basically "Risto can replace Myers and they need ROR to be their second line center so Reinhart can be the 3rd line guy."

So, just to clarify, he's saying Risto and Pysyk are better equipped to hold down the right side of the blue line but McEichel, Reinhart, Girgensons, Grigorenko, and are other zillion center prospects can't handle the center position. Okay...

Im going to say you missed the better argument. He thinks you trade Tyler Myers for someone to stopgap the 2C position for the 1 or 2 years that Reinhart will need to be ready to handle it full time. Or he thinks you trade Tyler Myers because Reinhart will never be a 2C.

If its option 1 then of course you don't lose O'Reilly (in theory) after Reinhart develops to take over the 2C spot. However, O'Reilly's value diminishes by no longer being a center. Just on the roles of the position the center has a greater impact on a game to game basis than a winger. So you'd be making a trade at 2C value for a player that will not fulfill that role during this teams "sweet spot". Second, if Reinhart can't be a 2C then something went very wrong and we have some deeper questions to ask.

In the short term ROR is a core player for the Sabres. In the long term ROR is a complimentary player being paid like a core player. Myers is core player (in the sense that I feel a teams core is its top 2 centers and top 4 defensemen) both in the short term and long term.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm wondering if Tor and Buf are the teams in play because O'Reilly has already told Colorado that those are the two teams he would work out an extension with. I don't see ANY team working out a trade before July 1st unless they get ROR on a major discount. Colorado doesn't have to do that, so they'll wait until the summer. Once summer hits, I highly doubt any other teams get traction on extension talks.

It'll come down to the best offer between Tor and Buf. Count me in the group that hopes Murray keeps Myers. I think there's enough potential among the FW prospects, and Myers won't be replaced in the draft or any time soon.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I'm wondering if Tor and Buf are the teams in play because O'Reilly has already told Colorado that those are the two teams he would work out an extension with. I don't see ANY team working out a trade before July 1st unless they get ROR on a major discount. Colorado doesn't have to do that, so they'll wait until the summer. Once summer hits, I highly doubt any other teams get traction on extension talks.

It'll come down to the best offer between Tor and Buf. Count me in the group that hopes Murray keeps Myers. I think there's enough potential among the FW prospects, and Myers won't be replaced in the draft or any time soon.
I think it has more to do with Jake Gardiner and Tyler Myers being in rumors for the last 2 years more than anything.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I think it has more to do with Jake Gardiner and Tyler Myers being in rumors for the last 2 years more than anything.

Could be, but while Myers/ROR has been around forever, I don't see Tor as nearly a strong trade partner unless ROR wants to play there and has let Col know that. Could simply be the Toronto media machine at work though.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012

I cant see anyone giving up a player of Myers or Gardiners potential without something in place to ensure they aren't trading for a rental.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Nothing new really. Bob gives his opinion on a question, throws in that one front office source he talked to thinks Colorado should have to add and another thinks Buffalo should.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad