Bob McKenzie on last night's broadcast: "Are [the Leafs] going to win the Cup? No."

Status
Not open for further replies.

MildlyAwesome

Rational Leaf Fan
Jun 4, 2009
Canada
And we are the best team in Goals For in 2014-2015.

So are we a "very strong team" that just struggles to keep goals out?

And why can LA fix this monstrous problem in less than half of a season with a coaching change and single trade, but Leafs are doomed for all eternity unless we blow up the core?

Yes, because its far more likely you win through great defense than it is because you can outscore the other team at will.

The team has a terrible CORSI. Its totally unsustainable. its far easier to tweak things in the offensive zone than it is to overhaul your defense.

Look at Washington who used to smoke the league in goals for. They absolutely tore it up and never got close to a final despite a few coaching changes and Boudreau going from offense to defense systems.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I used to be a fan that was blindly waving the pom poms, but I have had enough. This team will have to earn back my trust, and that starts with a playoff berth at a bare minimum. I can't believe there are some posters arguing that the Leafs could win the Cup this season. They have not even made the playoffs consistently let alone get close to the Cup. Wow. Nothing suggests to me, still, that this team can win the Cup. It's not even January yet.
I gotta tell ya, if I ever get to that point, if probably find something else to do with my time.

MildlyAwesome

Rational Leaf Fan
Jun 4, 2009
Canada
That would be a stupid bet no matter what team you pick. 29 teams didn't win it last year.

Still waiting for you to admit you're wrong about LA

I wasn't wrong though. I guess you aren't a knowledagble hockey fan since you didnt think the second best GAA team in the league with a goalie who had a 1.95 GAA had no shot of winning a Cup. Lots of people thought they had a great team who just couldn't score.

I want you to say right now that you think the Leafs have a chance of winning the Cup and that you'll leave the boards if they lose if you're so confident the Leafs will win the Cup.

You are delusional if you think this team has a shot given its current issues. Its not sustainable. Even Colorado who had a tremendous luck last year had their luck run out eventually.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I used to be a fan that was blindly waving the pom poms, but I have had enough. This team will have to earn back my trust, and that starts with a playoff berth at a bare minimum. I can't believe there are some posters arguing that the Leafs could win the Cup this season. They have not even made the playoffs consistently let alone get close to the Cup. Wow. Nothing suggests to me, still, that this team can win the Cup. It's not even January yet.

What's not to believe? It's really quite simple - every team has a chance until they're mathematically eliminated, it's just a question of how good a chance.

The Leafs has a chance but there's about a dozen teams who as of right now probably have a better chance and a bunch of teams who also have some chance. It's far from likely that we win the cup but of course there's a chance.

I'd say the chances of the Leafs winning a cup this year as of right now is somewhere between 1 and 2 percent. I hope they do it man.

GLG!

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
i'm loving the first 5 posts in this thread. "Yes we can win the cup" lol

this topic exists because the Leafs are in the midst of a winning streak. But it's mid-December. So of course, here come all the "we can definitely win with this team because we've won 10 of our last 12" fans. Short-sightedness at its finest. Guys here base their opinions on 10 game stretches. Were you guys saying they could beat Chicago or LA in a 7 game series at the beginning of the season? Nope. But now you are. What changed? Winning 10 of 12?

Now... what will we all be saying in february when we've lost 7 of the last 9 (and it WILL happen - winning and losing streaks come and go like the weather for ALL teams)?? It'll be "trade Carlyle", "we're going nowhere" or "who can we trade at the deadline"...

these topics should come out in March, when the season is nearly complete and you have a completed schedule to form an opinion. Because right now all the Fans are out in fullforce during this hot streak. But you'll all disappear in a month when we hit a skid, and all the negative fans will show their faces instead.

A winning streak that happened in December means NOTHING come April... and neither does a losing streak that happened in February. What matters are the points they've accumulated, what position they're in and how prepared they are at that point to go forward if they make the post-season. By that time we'll see where the team is at. But to say right now that they're good enough just because they're on a winning streak like all other 29 teams go through at other times in the season? Come on now :shakehead

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I wasn't wrong though. I guess you aren't a knowledagble hockey fan since you didnt think the second best GAA team in the league with a goalie who had a 1.95 GAA had no shot of winning a Cup. Lots of people thought they had a great team who just couldn't score.

I want you to say right now that you think the Leafs have a chance of winning the Cup and that you'll leave the boards if they lose if you're so confident the Leafs will win the Cup.

You are delusional if you think this team has a shot given its current issues. Its not sustainable. Even Colorado who had a tremendous luck last year had their luck run out eventually.

How do you not get this. Saying the Leafs have a chance and predicting they will actually win are very different things. How do people not get this?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

this topic exists because the Leafs are in the midst of a winning streak. But it's mid-December. So of course, here come all the "we can definitely win with this team because we've won 10 of our last 12" fans. Short-sightedness at its finest. Guys here base their opinions on 10 game stretches. Were you guys saying they could beat Chicago or LA in a 7 game series at the beginning of the season? Nope. But now you are. What changed? Winning 10 of 12?

Now... what will we all be saying in february when we've lost 7 of the last 9 (and it WILL happen - winning and losing streaks come and go like the weather for ALL teams)?? It'll be "trade Carlyle", "we're going nowhere" or "who can we trade at the deadline"...

these topics should come out in March, when the season is nearly complete and you have a completed schedule to form an opinion. Because right now all the Blue-and-White-Goggle-Fans are out in fullforce during this hot streak. But you'll all disappear in a month when we hit a skid, and all the negative fans will show their faces instead.

A winning streak that happened in December means NOTHING come April... and neither does a losing streak that happened in February. What matters are the points they've accumulated, what position they're in and how prepared they are at that point to go forward if they make the post-season. By that time we'll see where the team is at. But to say right now that they're good enough? Come on :shakehead

It's just as wrong to say that they're not good enough. :)

MildlyAwesome

Rational Leaf Fan
Jun 4, 2009
Canada
How do you not get this. Saying the Leafs have a chance and predicting they will actually win are very different things. How do people not get this?

Because its being petty. I will not get to date Jessica Alba. I have a chance to date Jessica Alba. Do you see how ridiculous the second one sounds?

Bob McKenzie said the Leafs aren't going to win the Cup. He's right. They won't. Or They're so unlikely to win the Cup that you might as well say they won't win.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Because its being petty. I will not get to date Jessica Alba. I have a chance to date Jessica Alba. Do you see how ridiculous the second one sounds?

Bob McKenzie said the Leafs aren't going to win the Cup. He's right. They won't. Or They're so unlikely to win the Cup that you might as well say they won't win.

It's not being petty, it's being accurate.

I could put it this way:

The Leafs are unlikely to win the cup. It is impossible for the Leafs to win the cup this year. Do you see how ridiculous the second one sounds?

Like I said, I would put their chances at 1-2%. Maybe that's splitting hairs but I'm just a stickler for details. I have also bet real money on sports bets that were worse than 100-1 to win and some of them have paid off so I kind of know what I'm talking about.

Would I bet on the Leafs to win the cup? As I said before, it all depends on what kind of odds someone would give me. Just for arguments sake, if I was offered 1000-1 I would bet some money without hesitation. I would not bet a ton because I will likely lose whatever I bet but I would be stupid not to bet something.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

Yet none of these knowledgeable people predicted they'd win, or wen get out of the first round. Did you? Show me.
I want you to leave the boards if you didn't.

The leafs have a CHANCE to win the cup as of this point. Do I think they will? Nope. But they have a one in 30 chance until they are eliminated. As to your bet, take mine and I'll take yours. My money say you won't because it's moronic.

You're talking like someone mentioned they are a shoe in. Why is it so difficult for you to accept that some of us don't believe it's over in December?

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

these topics should come out in March, when the season is nearly complete and you have a completed schedule to form an opinion. Because right now all the Blue-and-White-Goggle-Fans are out in fullforce during this hot streak. But you'll all disappear in a month when we hit a skid, and all the negative fans will show their faces instead.

A winning streak that happened in December means NOTHING come April... and neither does a losing streak that happened in February. What matters are the points they've accumulated, what position they're in and how prepared they are at that point to go forward if they make the post-season. By that time we'll see where the team is at. But to say right now that they're good enough just because they're on a winning streak like all other 29 teams go through at other times in the season? Come on now :shakehead

Or it could be because this team is currently in a playoff spot and the season isn't over?

It's also amazing that people in here seem to have trouble reading. Nobody has said they would. Just that it's totally possible at this point.

Man, it must suck for a lot of you to be Leaf fans.

MajorityRules*

I just re-read the first page. Nothing like telling ******** lies to get your point across.

Only 1 poster claimed anything like you're saying. But yeah I guess 1 is exactly the same as 5.

Delicious Dangles*

Yes, because its far more likely you win through great defense than it is because you can outscore the other team at will.
Debatable. Old myth that hasn't ever really had substance to it.

Many teams that "won with defense" actually won with goalies.

its far easier to tweak things in the offensive zone than it is to overhaul your defense.
I disagree. Defense is a teachable skill that is heavily reliant on systems, coaching, and goaltending.

Offense is moldable to increase efficiency and opportunity, but is more or less something you either have or don't have.

Look at Washington who used to smoke the league in goals for. They absolutely tore it up and never got close to a final despite a few coaching changes and Boudreau going from offense to defense systems.
They would smoke the league in goals because of their top line and Ovechkin, but still had average to below average depth and goaltending. They also relied heavily on the PP, which can dry up in the playoffs. That is the difference.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
This team only has about a 30% chance of even making the playoffs this year, I'd say. Optimism is one thing, but I feel like half our fan base is delusional. At 31 games in the standings are meaningless, people shouldn't even be looking at them.

I'm not sure about the 30% chance, could be true, but who knows, the fact is Christmas is the first time anyone should look at the standings, just like baseball, May 24 is the first time. When you look now there's practically a 4 way tie for first in the East, which means a lot of good teams are going to just make or just miss the playoffs, there's no way of telling where any of these teams will finish because ALL the teams are pretty equal. Missing the playoffs this year would be bad, but I'm sure there are going to be a lot of GOOD teams missing this year, unfortunately the Leafs could be one of those GOOD teams, there's no way of telling.

paulster2626

Oct 11, 2008

What a terrible analogy.:shakehead

What if Jessica Alba could only choose from 30 people to date, and she hadn't dated you for a really long time, and you were the richest one out of all 30 suitors?

I'd say you have a chance. JESSICA ALBA is going to date us!!!

Wait a minute....
204169.jpg

ChickenMcNugget

Jun 20, 2014
Ontario, CA

What if Jessica Alba could only choose from 30 people to date, and she hadn't dated you for a really long time, and you were the richest one out of all 30 suitors?

Wait a minute....
204169.jpg

this is probably the most bizarre post i've seen on hf yet lmao :laugh:

Mr Lahey

Oct 25, 2008
The LA Kings had the #1 Fenwick in the league the first year they won the cup. Nobody who pays attention thought they "came out of nowhere".

Oh come on. That is pretty much the same as the New Jersey barely making it this year and winning it all. Then when they win you go, "they were a top Fenwick team, anyone who pays attention would have seen this coming."

Utterly ridiculous to say that anyone expected that out of LA the year they won. Before their cup win they were a young team with early playoff exits (and it may even be exit, singular, but I'm too lazy to check their history) and marginal season play (in terms of the actual standings).

If anything, they were a dark horse team the year they won.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Wait a minute....
204169.jpg

She's so hot she made Busher Jackson in the background start to smoke.

Mr Lahey

Oct 25, 2008

You are wrong. Prove your claim - that people predicted LA to win the first year they did. You can't, because nobody did.

Them 'having a shot' because of their low GAA is totally different than being an actual cup favourite.

edit: This is coming from someone who cheered for LA in the playoffs the year they won. I distinctly remember rooting for them because they were an underdog.

Last edited:

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

No, I believe you were (and are) wrong.

Here's a number of expert predictions on the 2012 Stanley Cup winners. Please note the number of predictions for the Kings winning the Cup.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=626836

http://www.thehockeyfanatic.com/2012/04/2012-nhl-playoffs-preview/

Round One: The Kings rely on defense, and their lack of offense will be the death of them. The Kings will be able to take a game at home, but Vancouver will win the series easily in five games.

I await your research to show that you were (are) not wrong. :)

Patty Lee

I hate the Habs
Nov 26, 2003
Visit site
Nobody here is saying that Bob McKenzie should have said "yes" or are complaining the fact that he said no at all, but some disliked the way in which he said no. You can say no, disagree with someone all you want but you don't have to be arrogant in doing so(not saying he was) .To suggest that you can't be offended in the manner of which someone was speaking, is just silly to me.
And close to 200 posts on the topic is just silly to me

You people are too damn sensitive. Who cares what or how he says it. The team should use it as motivation - although I would bet NONE of them would care

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008

Yet people go on YouTube and actually end up with dates with these people.

Wayne Gretzky: "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad