News Article: Bob McKenzie: Link Between Subban's Usage and Contract Negotiations (UPDATE OP)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The team didn't fall off a cliff last year. They just lost a pile of guys at the wrong time(playoffs) and faced a hot goalie. Emelin Price Prust Pacioretty Gionta White all missed time or were playing visibly hurt.

You're right. The habs were a first place team last year and this year it's Subban holding the team back from returning to the top of the standings. Let's hope Therrien keeps at what he's doing, the team is doing fabulous.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
You're right. The habs were a first place team last year and this year it's Subban holding the team back from returning to the top of the standings. Let's hope Therrien keeps at what he's doing, the team is doing fabulous.

What does Subban have to do with anything?

The team is struggling because a pile of the forwards are not producing, Pacioretty Eller DD and Briere are all struggling with Briere being injured.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The team didn't fall off a cliff last year. They just lost a pile of guys at the wrong time(playoffs) and faced a hot goalie. Emelin Price Prust Pacioretty Gionta White all missed time or were playing visibly hurt.

We started playing poorly before the playoffs. We were 4-6 since our last ten games. The only guy we lost in that stretch was Emelin and if we're really a good team, then losing a 4th Dman should not affect you that much.
We allowed more than 5-7 goals on 4 different occasions during that stretch.

We were not as bad as that stretch nor we were as good as our record indicated. We are what we are seeing today.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Funny that every time the team does well, it over-achieves and when it doesn't do so well, it's the coach's fault. We've been reading the same conspiracy theory for how many years now? Let's face it folks: coaching a hockey team is not a pure science as many intangible factors enter into play. The team is what the team is, period. That's why a coach who has won the Jack Adams can later be fired.

And sometimes it's true. Sometimes it's the coach's fault, sometimes no.
I don't think it was Martin's fault we were a mediocre team over his tenure.
I think Therrien is doing a decent job. He's got us where I thought we'd be.
And yes, we overachieved last year, we are not a top eastern team.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
There are thresholds. For me personally, I think the issue of our coach preferring to use Diaz and Bouillon over Subban is really just such a fundamentally troubling one that it taints most anything else the coach does. Such a flawed viewpoint is just that significant an issue to me.

I don't think I automatically equate losing games to having trouble with the coach. Sometimes things go off the rails and there are plenty of good reasons for it.

Agreed...furthermore, if that's the way MT feels

Then why doesn't he just scrap the Markov/Subban duo all together and just pair Markov with either Diaz or Bouillon? If he's that concerned about Subban's defensive play, why wait until the game is tied or up one goal to then start playing it safe?

If Subban is that much a defensive liability (a HUGE misnomer btw, neither the naked eye nor advance stats support this 'theory' yet fans, media, keep bestowing this title upon him without any merit) then why not just stick him on the 3rd pairing with Murray and restrict his ES time and just use him on the PP?

It just doesn't make much sense...

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Lol at people blaming Therien on the overtime TOI for Subban. Didn't you guys realize we were pinned in our own end for the whole overtime? You think you can just yell at Bouillon and Diaz to come and next while they are chasing the puck in our zone?

Plus, have you guys ever managed a bench in your life? Therien isn't managing both the forwards and the D's. Its impossible when you are matching lines like they do in the NHL. Daigneault is the one calling the shots and Therien might just give him some directives during the game (like benching Murray). Please, get on a grip on how things work at least.
It's not a 1 game issue. The STL game certainly did seem to accentuate things. But it has been going on for a month. Subban not getting PK time. Getting more than his fair share of blame for mistakes when other players are not singled out. The STL game was a particularly egregious example of it all. But it has been going on all year.

Subban's *lowest* TOI game should be around 25 mins. He should push 28-30 mins some nights. He should be our #1 choice in all situations, PP, PK, shut-down, late game protecting a lead or late game looking for a goal, OT, etc. Other teams are taking advantage of their studly young defenders like that. Habs aren't. It's hurting our team to play inferior players in situations where Subban could be helping us. And it's hurting Subban's development too, to the point that you can watch him play now and see him being more tentative or second-guessing himself, see him backing off from those big hits, scared to exercise his talents. It's a MUCH bigger issue than 1 game.

vfactor

Dec 8, 2009
Montreal
While eating my lunch, I was thinking about this whole ice time stuff and suddenly, a flash of genius stroke me and I now understand everything. There's a reason why Subban is not in the ice in critical moments. There's a reason why we're not NHL coaches. But I found out why, let me explain.

I put myself in opponent forwards, here what I think: that big mouth, un-classy 76, as much I hate him, is the only one who will carry the puck out of his zone or make a good first pass, he is dangerous too on a rush if giving too much space, so I just focus on him, go after him, hit him hard, cover him. The other guy with no one to pass to, will surely ice the puck, flip the puck or sometimes will give us juicy turn overs...:naughty:

I put myself in opponent coach, here what I'll say before the game: "Guys, here's the plan. Fore-check them to death, that defence is prone to collapse." Pause... "OK, focus on number 76, the rests will collapse themselves. Ya know what I mean...." ;)

I put myself in our coach mind and he's smarter than all of us, he knows that so what I do to counter balance this ?

I TAKE SUBBAN OFF THE ICE ! I throw them off balance. To Hell their plan....'Evils laugh'

OKguys, that's how it works. We can live in peace now. Give me credit for this discovery. Thank you :yo:

PKarey Plekoretty

Nov 16, 2011
Not really adding much to this disgustingly beaten to death topic, but anyone else annoyed about the fact that there's probably more than 15 threads throughout these forums talking about the **** treatment Habs are giving PK? Or does it not bother you at all?

What I find annoying is that whenever anyone says anything good about PK fans on other boards are quick to discredit him, but in situations like this, almost every thread talks about how he is an absolute stud and that they should offer sheet him if Habs org. is going to treat him this way etc

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Not really adding much to this disgustingly beaten to death topic, but anyone else annoyed about the fact that there's probably more than 15 threads throughout these forums talking about the **** treatment Habs are giving PK? Or does it not bother you at all?

What I find annoying is that whenever anyone says anything good about PK fans on other boards are quick to discredit him, but in situations like this, almost every thread talks about how he is an absolute stud and that they should offer sheet him if Habs org. is going to treat him this way etc

Well it's pretty simple...as much as people from other fan bases hate on Subban, everyone of them would love to have him on their team

Guy Germaine

Jul 25, 2005
Montreal

so true. The same thing happened when Karlsson won. A lot of Hab fans would say "the Norris is a joke anyway, it's only about points". Now that Subban won, "how could he not be on team Canada?he has a Norris", "he's the best D in the NHL, he won the Norris"

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

PK has a pest-like style of play. So other teams hate on him because of it, but they would all gladly welcome him on their team.
Can you imagine how much Boston fans would fall in love with PK? Imagine him playing next to Chara. They would absolutely love him.

So ya, I'm not surprised opposing fans are salivating at the thought of possibly offersheeting this guy. I know I would absolutely want my team to do it if the possibility presented itself.

so true. The same thing happened when Karlsson won. A lot of Hab fans would say "the Norris is a joke anyway, it's only about points". Now that Subban won, "how could he not be on team Canada?he has a Norris", "he's the best D in the NHL, he won the Norris"

Karlsson definitely deserved the Norris. I don't recall anybody claiming he shouldn't have won it. He wasn't a defensive wall though, he isn't as good as PK defensively, he also doesn't bring the physical element.
Also, there wasn't much denying his talent though, nor was he used as a 4th Dman at times.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

What significantly injuries cropped up during the end of last season that could justify allowing, what, 26 goals in five games? It was staggering how awful we were. Wasn't our closing record similar to what Edmonton is currently posting now? It is one thing to cite team struggles as a perpetual issue not unique to Montreal, but such a colossal freefall is rivaled only by Toronto, and they fired their coach for it.

I also echo the sentiments from Blind. It is difficult to offer Therrien the benefit of the doubt when he believes Diaz and Bouillon, the latter of whom would not crack the majority of teams in the league's roster, are his catalysts to win games.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
A lot of Hab fans would say "the Norris is a joke anyway, it's only about points". Now that Subban won, "how could he not be on team Canada?he has a Norris", "he's the best D in the NHL, he won the Norris"

Classic fan bipolarity. :laugh:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Agreed...furthermore, if that's the way MT feels

Then why doesn't he just scrap the Markov/Subban duo all together and just pair Markov with either Diaz or Bouillon? If he's that concerned about Subban's defensive play, why wait until the game is tied or up one goal to then start playing it safe?

If Subban is that much a defensive liability (a HUGE misnomer btw, neither the naked eye nor advance stats support this 'theory' yet fans, media, keep bestowing this title upon him without any merit) then why not just stick him on the 3rd pairing with Murray and restrict his ES time and just use him on the PP?

It just doesn't make much sense...

And with the absence of logic, people turn to illogical reasons such as racism or contract tactics.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
And with the absence of logic, people turn to illogical reasons such as racism or contract tactics.

The first thing I would do if I wanted to save money on PK's next contract is split him and Markov up and give Diaz the juicy PP time with Markov and let PK run the PK. I really wonder if a lot of these pundits are just making crap up to entertain themselves and others.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
The first thing I would do if I wanted to save money on PK's next contract is split him and Markov up and give Diaz the juicy PP time with Markov and let PK run the PK. I really wonder if a lot of these pundits are just making crap up to entertain themselves and others.

No, they're making crap up because they don't know what else to think seeing how that from a hockey stand point it makes no sense.

If you remove PK from the PP, you'd have a very tough time explaining it. It's already hard enough to explain just not playing him in crucial defensive situations, so can you imagine if they removed PP time on top of it???
If it's really a tactic, it's to reduce the amount so they have a little more power in order to sign him. Removing his PP time+crucial defensive duties, why would he want to sign?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
What significantly injuries cropped up during the end of last season that could justify allowing, what, 26 goals in five games? It was staggering how awful we were. Wasn't our closing record similar to what Edmonton is currently posting now? It is one thing to cite team struggles as a perpetual issue not unique to Montreal, but such a colossal freefall is rivaled only by Toronto, and they fired their coach for it.

I also echo the sentiments from Blind. It is difficult to offer Therrien the benefit of the doubt when he believes Diaz and Bouillon, the latter of whom would not crack the majority of teams in the league's roster, are his catalysts to win games.

When has Therrien ever said Bouillon is a catalyst to win games? I have never heard it. He plays #5 or 6 minutes...usually your "catalyst" plays 23-25 minutes a night.

Diaz is playing very well and has been a lynchpin defensively. Subban is more skilled and will generate more offense but Diaz plays much safer if you are protecting a 1 goal lead.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
When has Therrien ever said Bouillon is a catalyst to win games? I have never heard it. He plays #5 or 6 minutes...usually your "catalyst" plays 23-25 minutes a night.

Diaz is playing very well and has been a lynchpin defensively. Subban is more skilled and will generate more offense but Diaz plays much safer if you are protecting a 1 goal lead.

This is simpy not true...the only difference is any and every mistake PK makes is magnified x100

He has to be perfect, while others benefit from a different evaluation...

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

Between this and Boullion makes less mistakes than Subban, I don't ever want to read a single one of your posts again. I'm actually starting to wonder if you're well.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

The funny thing is that there's the word scout in your name.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
This is simpy not true...the only difference is any and every mistake PK makes is magnified x100

He has to be perfect, while others benefit from a different evaluation...

Why would he have to be perfect and Diaz would not?

When you watch a game do you only watch PK or the whole Habs team?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Why would he have to be perfect and Diaz would not?

When you watch a game do you only watch PK or the whole Habs team?

Well that's the question...why does he have to be perfect? Why does every mistake he makes over analyzed?

And yes, when I watch the Habs I watch the whole team, that's what's so perplexing...Diaz has been good, he's a good player. But he's not a better dman than Subban is IN any part of the game.

Look at tonight's game...Erik Karlsson will make mistakes, Andrei Markov will make mistakes, players who handle the puck a lot tend to make some mistakes. If you want PK Subban to be a mistake free hockey player, well you're making him completely useless, not to mention that no player is perfect

I'm sick of reading/seeing that Subban is some defensive liability, the naked eye and advanced stats do NOT support this flimsy argument.

People see whatever they want to see with Subban because it fits their pre-conceived notions about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille