News Article: Bob McKenzie: Link Between Subban's Usage and Contract Negotiations (UPDATE OP)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Well that's the question...why does he have to be perfect? Why does every mistake he makes over analyzed?

And yes, when I watch the Habs I watch the whole team, that's what's so perplexing...Diaz has been good, he's a good player. But he's not a better dman than Subban is IN any part of the game.

Look at tonight's game...Erik Karlsson will make mistakes, Andrei Markov will make mistakes, players who handle the puck a lot tend to make some mistakes. If you want PK Subban to be a mistake free hockey player, well you're making him completely useless, not to mention that no player is perfect

I'm sick of reading/seeing that Subban is some defensive liability, the naked eye and advanced stats do NOT support this flimsy argument.

People see whatever they want to see with Subban because it fits their pre-conceived notions about him.

pretty much, and its true for everyone not only the ones who point at him when he makes a mistake

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Anyone just hear the brilliant PJ Stock on 990 right now?

Only in hockey....

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
We now have a starting date for Subban's negotiations:

DansLesCoulisses
‏@DLCoulisses
Exclusif : Les négos entre Meehan, Guy, Oster... Et Bergevin, pour Diaz et Subban, commenceront le 12 novembre, à Montréal.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Did he say everyone hates PK again?

No, he said that he retired too early. Needed one more punch in the mouth to fix his crooked horse teeth.

Plus, he reminded Melnick how "Louis Leblanc est un kid locale." :sarcasm:

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Sens board talking about how PK will leave MTL in two years in favour of Ottawa, being a "real possibility". Thought this was funny.

I'm pretty sure the habs wouldn't just let PK walk... to a rival... in the same division. The habs would sooner trade him out of conference, way down south where they would only see him once every couple years, or they would fix the reason why he wants to leave (Fire Therrien).

habitue*

Sens board talking about how PK will leave MTL in two years in favour of Ottawa, being a "real possibility". Thought this was funny.

I'm pretty sure the habs wouldn't just let PK walk... to a rival... in the same division. The habs would sooner trade him out of conference, way down south where they would only see him once every couple years, or they would fix the reason why he wants to leave (Fire Therrien).

Ottawa don't have the budget to have both Karlsson and Subban in their line up... :sarcasm:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Did he say everyone hates PK again?

Pretty much and how he rubs his teammates the wrong way...he just used other words to say that Subban acts too "uppity"

Btw - anyone notice Karlsson's giveaways

Nah...didn't think so

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
UGH, no more Diaz, too many players soft on this club without extending another one.

Diaz would be a luxury on the bottom pairing if we can keep him under 3 mil. There are few bottom pairing guys in the league as good as him and he can step into a top 4 role and not look out of place. The problem is Therrien overusing him as the #3 guy in all situations. Same problem as Bouillon.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Anyway, Diaz on a good contract is a great asset. Provides much needed depth and worst-case scenario is a good return in a trade.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
UGH, no more Diaz, too many players soft on this club without extending another one.

IMO he's a good #5 D being forced to play a role above his ability level. Under 2.5M, it's a no brain re-sign. Over 3M you have to start thinking of other options like a trade.

so true. The same thing happened when Karlsson won. A lot of Hab fans would say "the Norris is a joke anyway, it's only about points". Now that Subban won, "how could he not be on team Canada?he has a Norris", "he's the best D in the NHL, he won the Norris"

All the hate on Karlsson from Habs fans I think is Sens fan generated. They were holding him to generational talent standard and insulted the idea Subban was even in the same class as Karlsson before he got a Norris. There are threads even on the Habs board:

Now they have such an exaggerated idea of how good Karlsson was pre-injury that even if Subban produces offensively on same level/Karlsson makes defensive mistakes, the reasoning would be the latter is only <random number>% his old self. Hard to not want Karlsson to fail with that following.

Yet with all this, I can't help but admit he's easily one of my favourite D in the NHL and a treat to watch. Sadly, I must hope for him to fail for the fans.

Last edited:

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
All the hate on Karlsson from Habs fans I think is Sens fan generated. They were holding him to generational talent standard and insulted the idea Subban was even in the same class as Karlsson before he got a Norris. There are threads even on the Habs board:
It helps also that, for whatever reason, Karlsson doesn't seem to play at his best against the Habs. I live in Ottawa so I see him enough in other games. But if I just saw him against the Habs, I wouldn't understand the hype.

All good for us, anyway.

HotPie

Dec 3, 2007
If the Habs don't honestly do everything they can to make sure we keep Subban long term, I quit. It'll be the final straw for me.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

Now they have such an exaggerated idea of how good Karlsson was pre-injury that even if Subban produces offensively on same level/Karlsson makes defensive mistakes, the reasoning would be the latter is only <random number>% his old self. Hard to not want Karlsson to fail with that following.

Yet with all this, I can't help but admit he's easily one of my favourite D in the NHL and a treat to watch. Sadly, I must hope for him to fail for the fans.

Even though I live in Ottawa, I don't see him play much because I'm mainly focused on the Habs, but yeah, it's easily Sens-fan generated just by the way they held him and rejected every idea of Subban or any other defenseman in the league being near Karlsson's level.

While I've only really seen him play vs. Montreal and he doesn't look THAT great, he's classy as hell and when I watch highlights, he seems fun to watch for a full 60 minutes. I like him, even though Sens fans hold him in WAY too high regard and thus, affects the way others may look at Karlsson, IMO.

Subban and Karlsson are a lot closer than Sens fans would be willing to admit.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Diaz...really? Whats so good about him?

One of the reason we are losing is the lack of production from our D's. Diaz, Gorges, BOuillon all have around 5-6 points or less.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
Even though I live in Ottawa, I don't see him play much because I'm mainly focused on the Habs, but yeah, it's easily Sens-fan generated just by the way they held him and rejected every idea of Subban or any other defenseman in the league being near Karlsson's level.

While I've only really seen him play vs. Montreal and he doesn't look THAT great, he's classy as hell and when I watch highlights, he seems fun to watch for a full 60 minutes. I like him, even though Sens fans hold him in WAY too high regard and thus, affects the way others may look at Karlsson, IMO.

Subban and Karlsson are a lot closer than Sens fans would be willing to admit.

Agree completely. Subban is only slightly better than Karlsson, it isn't a huge difference at all. I just don't get what their problem is :D

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Stop gap player like Diaz are not long term solutions. I hope he is gone along with Bouillon very soon

holyhabs

Jun 9, 2007
PK isn't going anywhere, don't worry about it.

If he was mentally weak then he might bolt but the kid aint phased by anything as you guys should already know by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad