Proposal: Boat Anchor Trade (MTL/LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Price is made of glass with a terrible term. Quick is much more valuable right now. Weber has 7 yrs doesn’t he? He’s already declining plus injured. These two will weigh down mtrl for yrs so why would kings take them for a 60pt scorer and a good goalie?

Markov was "made of glass" as well, until he wasn't. He missed 2.5 seasons almost entirely in his early 30's, then played 326 of the next 328 games in his mid-late 30's.

Want to post anything indicating Weber is declining? Like I said in my previous post, he was 6th in Norris voting just over a year ago. Your tun.

Your naked trolling agenda couldn't be more obvious when you call Price and Weber in decline and Dustin ******* Brown simply a 60 point scorer. You also ignore that we are taking on Dion to "replace" Weber.

Either come back with some actual facts or go away.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Markov was "made of glass" as well, until he wasn't. He missed 2.5 seasons almost entirely in his early 30's, then played 326 of the next 328 games in his mid-late 30's.

Want to post anything indicating Weber is declining? Like I said in my previous post, he was 6th in Norris voting just over a year ago. Your tun.

Your naked trolling agenda couldn't be more obvious when you call Price and Weber in decline and Dustin ******* Brown simply a 60 point scorer. You also ignore that we are taking on Dion to "replace" Weber.

I agree with the made of glass comment as Quick was made of Glass before last year too. However even when both are 100% I would take Quick and save $4m. I am sure others will disagree on this and that is fair.

Is the fat Weber has had 2 knee surgeries in a year and out till February not prove or at least feat of decline?

Brown could be a 30 point guy or a 60 point guy, neither is guaranteed.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
For MTL:

Quick for less term, but quality starts.
Brown to offer possibly another decent season and leadership for MTL.
Dion Replaces Weber

For LAK
Price great now, but long contract. May not be great near the end of term.
Weber could be effective if healthy.
Shaw replaces Brown's grind.
I don't see any real benefits for any teams...

MTL
Quick over Price: I'd take that contract before Price one
No need for more leadership in the form of Brown over Shaw.
Despite his contract, Weber is more efficient than Phaneuf on the ice and I'd trust him better to mentor young players for the tough times ahead.

LAK
Price: Would Kings really take that contract?
Weber: Again, why take that much term?
Shaw over Brown... LAK gets a less effective player for less money.

This will be seen as a fail for both fanbases i think. Sorry.

Is he? Sure didn't look it last season. Injuries can take a toll.

Besides, the difference between Quick and Price if negligible if there is one.

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
What a god awful trade for Montreal. There is not one player coming back our way that is superior.

Price >> Quick
Weber >>>>>>> Phaneuf (this one is beyond ridiculous)
Shaw = Brown (possibly the only debatable one)

If we trade away Price and Weber, we are getting quality pieces back. We may have to retain a little on each to optimize the return but we're talkig about all star players here.

Brown and Phaneuf are cap dumps, and Quick doesnt make us better in any way.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
What a god awful trade for Montreal. There is not one player coming back our way that is superior.

Price >> Quick
Weber >>>>>>> Phaneuf (this one is beyond ridiculous)
Shaw = Brown (possibly the only debatable one)

If we trade away Price and Weber, we are getting quality pieces back. We may have to retain a little on each to optimize the return but we're talkig about all star players here.

Brown and Phaneuf are cap dumps, and Quick doesnt make us better in any way.

The only thing that is going to make the Habs better is a complete and total tear down and rebuild.

Reactions: go4hockey

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Quick>Price (5.8 vs 8.4 a year as retention states in OP)
Brown >>> Shaw
Weber > Phaneuf

Sorry I hate Weber's contract but if he can come back and be a shadow of his former self than he is more than worth $7.8M whereas Dion is overpaid slightly at $5.25M.
Shea Weber is 32 years old, will miss a good chunk of this season and has 8 years left on his contract

Dion Phaneuf 33, only has 3 years left of his contract and is getting paid over 2M less than Weber.

I'll take Phaneuf.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Kings need to create cap space not lose more of it for marginal upgrades that don't even address our scoring issues.

PitchNHL

Jul 18, 2018

Naked trolling agenda. What? Lol I never said price was declining btw I think he’s a top 3 goalie when healthy but Weber definitely is. He hasn’t look great on the habs like he did on preds not to mention his contract.

And that’s great that markov recovered but there are 100x more examples of players that haven’t... it’s funny how you cherrry pick your facts.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
Kings need to create cap space not lose more of it for marginal upgrades that don't even address our scoring issues.
I'm not even sure if they're upgrades.

Carey Price is coming off a season where his GAA was 3.11 and his Save % was .900

Shea Weber is what, a #2 at best right now? Who know's how he'll perform when/if he comes back.

Dustin Brown is coming off a 60+ point/28 goal season where Shaw had 20 points last season.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
To MTL:
Brown
Phaneuf
Quick
4th round pick in 2020

To LAK:
Price (MTL retains 25%)
Weber
Shaw
6th round pick in 2020

Welcome to the Boat Anchor Ball!

This is a change of scenery / shake it up trade. I think both teams do benefit in many ways.

:partytime::partytime:

Montreal gets screwed . I do think Price betters day are behind him but if he plays at 80% of his peak he better then todays Quick . On Weber worst day he is better then Phaneuf . Shaw and Brown are close to a wash . Brown had a very good year while Shaw had a down year and most fans will look at last years stat line only . In the End Montreal can do better trading these pieces in separated deal . I am sure a rebuilding team like Montreal would look for more futures . The shuffling of chairs at the very best s not what Montreal needs . I am also sure LA rather deal with the devil they know then the devil they don't know so I am sure LA declines as well

Reactions: strongcomp05

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Montreal gets screwed . I do think Price betters day are behind him but if he plays at 80% of his peak he better then todays Quick . On Weber worst day he is better then Phaneuf . Shaw and Brown are close to a wash . Brown had a very good year while Shaw had a down year and most fans will look at last years stat line only . In the End Montreal can do better trading these pieces in separated deal . I am sure a rebuilding team like Montreal would look for more futures . The shuffling of chairs at the very best s not what Montreal needs . I am also sure LA rather deal with the devil they know then the devil they don't know so I am sure LA declines as well

Quick >> 80% of Price. Go take carey price's numbers and adjust his GAA to be 20% higher and his SP to be 20% worse and compare to Quick. That is a laughable statement. There are very few goalies that can be compared to Price but Quick is one of them. Price is regarded as the top goalie in the league, I just don't think difference between him and Quick is $4m
I agree with Weber vs Dion but LA doesn't do that due to cap and injury issues.

At the end of the day I don't see why either team does this. If Montreal is selling theses players it should be for futures and LA is not adding that cap.

Last edited:
Reactions: go4hockey

strongcomp05

Jun 8, 2018
I'm not even sure if they're upgrades.

Carey Price is coming off a season where his GAA was 3.11 and his Save % was .900

Shea Weber is what, a #2 at best right now? Who know's how he'll perform when/if he comes back.

Dustin Brown is coming off a 60+ point/28 goal season where Shaw had 20 points last season.

lmao you think a healthy Weber is a #2?

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I actually think there is SOME merit to this proposal strangely. I notice you've retained on Price to make the salary cap hit to both team roughly equal for the next three seasons.

During the next three seasons, I think it's almost unquestionable that this favours the Kings. Price is equal to or slightly better on the ice than Quick. And Weber-Shaw is far more valuable than Phaneuf-Brown simply because Weber is by far the best player of the four. For the Kings being a win-now team, it'd have to be somewhat appealing to have a decent upgrade like this.

In the future is where the deal begins to show a benefit for the Habs. They are (or should be) a rebuilding team and having 15.7 million potentially tied up in two older players for the next 8 seasons is a scary thought. This move benefits them a lot for the future. In fact, I'd say Montreal would be best off flipping Quick and Brown (maybe with some rentention) for futures.

But it's going to be real hard for either team to pull the trigger on a trade like this. The Kings would be banking on Price being a good goalie for 8 more years or be stuck with that contract. Weber isn't as big of a worry since there's no way he keeps playing the last three years of that contract. Brown and Quick helped them win two Cups and often that makes it harder to trade them.

And Montreal would have to be selling the rebuild hard to be giving up their two best players for such a return and I just can't see them do it.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
When was the last time he was healthy.

You complain that you'd rather have Phaneuf for 3 years than Weber at 8, but then complain that Weber never plays. Even if that was true, that makes it more likely that Weber retires early OR goes on LTIR. Which again makes Weber far more valuable than Phaneuf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad