Quick
4th round pick in 2020

To LAK:
Price (MTL retains 25%)
Weber
Shaw
6th round pick in 2020

Welcome to the Boat Anchor Ball!

This is a change of scenery / shake it up trade. I think both teams do benefit in many ways.

:partytime::partytime:

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Phaneuf is the only "anchor" in that trade as far as the Kings are concerned. Brown is coming off a bounce-back season and Quick still has some good years left.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Care to explain benefits for both teams?

For MTL:

Quick for less term, but quality starts.
Brown to offer possibly another decent season and leadership for MTL.
Dion Replaces Weber

For LAK
Price great now, but long contract. May not be great near the end of term.
Weber could be effective if healthy.
Shaw replaces Brown's grind.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Phaneuf is the only "anchor" in that trade as far as the Kings are concerned. Brown is coming off a bounce-back season and Quick still has some good years left.

Some short memories around here. If D. Brown starts the season with 1 goal and 3 assists in 17 games you might lean towards the "Anchor" label once again.

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
For MTL:

Dion Replaces Weber

For LAK

I don't see any real benefits for any teams...

MTL
Quick over Price: I'd take that contract before Price one
No need for more leadership in the form of Brown over Shaw.
Despite his contract, Weber is more efficient than Phaneuf on the ice and I'd trust him better to mentor young players for the tough times ahead.

LAK
Price: Would Kings really take that contract?
Weber: Again, why take that much term?
Shaw over Brown... LAK gets a less effective player for less money.

This will be seen as a fail for both fanbases i think. Sorry.

Reactions: YP44

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I don't see any real benefits for any teams...

MTL
Quick over Price: I'd take that contract before Price one
No need for more leadership in the form of Brown over Shaw.
Despite his contract, Weber is more efficient than Phaneuf on the ice and I'd trust him better to mentor young players for the tough times ahead.

LAK
Price: Would Kings really take that contract?
Weber: Again, why take that much term?
Shaw over Brown... LAK gets a less effective player for less money.

This will be seen as a fail for both fanbases i think. Sorry.

I'm not offended. I think thread might enlighten MTL fans because many don't see Weber's contract as an anchor.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Some short memories around here. If D. Brown starts the season with 1 goal and 3 assists in 17 games you might lean towards the "Anchor" label once again.
And if he doesn't? New coach. New system. Same Brown - nothing really changed in his game from going to 'anchor' to 'bounce back'.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
For MTL:

Dion Replaces Weber

For LAK

Yeah no he won't. However as a cap dump I'd be sorta interested in Phaneuf as the Habs would have use for a guy who is still a serviceable 2nd pairing LHD. As for this particular proposal, lol wtf.

HomeAndHome

All aboard the Lane train! WooWoo
Mar 10, 2017
London, ON
I'm not offended. I think thread might enlighten MTL fans because many don't see Weber's contract as an anchor.
He has a high cap hit.
He isn't as good as he once was.
He has recent injuries.
There is a good chance he comes back and is still a good 1st line option.
If he retires early (which he more than likely will) the recapture penalties are not on Montreal, they are on Nashville.

Is this enlightened enough for you? Or can you enlighten me further?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
To MTL:
Brown
Phaneuf
Quick
4th round pick in 2020

To LAK:
Price (MTL retains 25%)
Weber
Shaw
6th round pick in 2020

This is a change of scenery / shake it up trade. I think both teams do benefit in many ways.

How does LA benefit here? Quick's contract is one of the best among starting goalies in the league. Brown's deal has a lot of risk but there's hope after last year. If he can provide close to what he did last year that deal is well worth it. Dion's deal is bad but is not outrageous thanks to Ottawa retaining on it. He was solid from acquisition to the end of the year.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
wow first off this king fan says this is very awful for la. I would much rather have Quick then Price The numbers are not that different on ice stats but the cap hits sure as hell are 10.5 (Price) to 5.8 Price is not 4.7 million better then Quick No way in hell
Dion for Weber I will agree that Weber is totally the better player HOWEVER he will be out till at least feb La was the best defensive team in the nhl period No need for the upgrade to both payroll or the team. I maybe in the minority but i liked how Dion played since he became a King. I think he is a great option on our pp which is a thing the kings need to get better at. A full season with him on our pp i am very sure it will get better and if our pp gets better it will turn into us winning more games without a doubt in my mind.

Now Brown for Shaw no way in hell. Even at Browns worse He was still a big part of our pk and drew alot of penalties which set us up for pps . He was also still physical and tough to play against. Imo Browns fights with Sutter on the way he was being used was more the issue on his point totals going down then his lack of effort. Sutter moved him to 3rd line with little to no pp time This is kill anyones point totals. Also Brown was the captain of our cup winning teams His leadership in the dressing room would be massively missed He has been a career King and this king fan say no to trading him

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017

He is still a very decent defensemen imo when healthy... and the anchor that is the contract is shared with NAS (I am eager to see what the NHL will come up with to dump that responsability on MTL but anyway). He might be the lesser anchor here in MTL's case. If MTL were to do this, fans (and players) thrust in the organization would go from low to abismal... Disavoewing Price contract so soon won't happen.

Again, I can't see why LAK would take that much term packed in those 2 guys.

Reactions: jfhabs

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
So now Weber, Price & Quick are boat anchors? So, I guess every player making 8+M a year is one as well now too?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
wow first off this king fan says this is very awful for la. I would much rather have Quick then Price The numbers are not that different on ice stats but the cap hits sure as hell are 10.5 (Price) to 5.8 Price is not 4.7 million better then Quick No way in hell
Dion for Weber I will agree that Weber is totally the better player HOWEVER he will be out till at least feb La was the best defensive team in the nhl period No need for the upgrade to both payroll or the team. I maybe in the minority but i liked how Dion played since he became a King. I think he is a great option on our pp which is a thing the kings need to get better at. A full season with him on our pp i am very sure it will get better and if our pp gets better it will turn into us winning more games without a doubt in my mind.

Now Brown for Shaw no way in hell. Even at Browns worse He was still a big part of our pk and drew alot of penalties which set us up for pps . He was also still physical and tough to play against. Imo Browns fights with Sutter on the way he was being used was more the issue on his point totals going down then his lack of effort. Sutter moved him to 3rd line with little to no pp time This is kill anyones point totals. Also Brown was the captain of our cup winning teams His leadership in the dressing room would be massively missed He has been a career King and this king fan say no to trading him

Emotional attachment aside I would do Brown for Shaw. However Brown will pass Taylor for most GP ever by a King and I want to retire a King. Looking at the all time King stats it is very impressive where Brown is and it would be gut wrenching to see him in another Jersey.

First paragraph I could not agree more with.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I don't see either team being interested in this. There's absolutely no benefit for the Kings. They're trading 'boat anchors' (in the context of this thread), for bigger, longer, boat anchors.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
This trade is just a total ****-show for both teams.

We've been through this many times on here. The basic boat anchor concept is that - If Weber's play falls off significantly (he's still a legitimate #1D), he doesn't retire 3-ish years early (which is what's expected from a cap circumventing contract), he remains healthy enough to play, and Montreal can't move him as an asset, then he's a boat anchor.

We get it. We're just don't see all those things happening as the likely outcome, because its not the likely outcome.

But if you think that Phaneuf and Weber are even remotely comparable, then the problem isn't Weber's contract, its that you don't watch enough hockey or even read stats well.

theghost1

Oct 30, 2017
To MTL:
Brown
Phaneuf
Quick
4th round pick in 2020

To LAK:
Price (MTL retains 25%)
Weber
Shaw
6th round pick in 2020

Wow worst trade proposal in sports history.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
This trade is just a total ****-show for both teams.

We've been through this many times on here. The basic boat anchor concept is that - If Weber's play falls off significantly (he's still a legitimate #1D), he doesn't retire 3-ish years early (which is what's expected from a cap circumventing contract), he remains healthy enough to play, and Montreal can't move him as an asset, then he's a boat anchor.

We get it. We're just don't see all those things happening as the likely outcome, because its not the likely outcome.

But if you think that Phaneuf and Weber are even remotely comparable, then the problem isn't Weber's contract, its that you don't watch enough hockey or even read stats well.

Hopefully Weber can comeback close to what he was. One of my favorite players to watch as long as he is not on the ice against LA. He is one of those players that scares the shit out of me.

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Emotional attachment aside I would do Brown for Shaw. However Brown will pass Taylor for most GP ever by a King and I want to retire a King. Looking at the all time King stats it is very impressive where Brown is and it would be gut wrenching to see him in another Jersey.

First paragraph I could not agree more with.
I just think that there has been no other player on this team right now that bleeds kings colors more then Brown He has seen the really bad king teams in the beginning and Captained our 2 cup winning teams. He is known to be a leader in off season as well As any new player the kings are courting as ufa or trade for meet Brown first to get the players side of living in la . He represents the Kings in so many off ice things. There is more to his game then points to me. I like his physical side and ability to draw penalties If any King player deserves some loyalty its Brown. He also was /is huge part of our pk and has been for years. I would rather see him retire as a king or at the very worse traded and get back someone worth while ( picks prospects ) not a cap dump like shaw.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah no he won't. However as a cap dump I'd be sorta interested in Phaneuf as the Habs would have use for a guy who is still a serviceable 2nd pairing LHD. As for this particular proposal, lol wtf.

Dion is gonna make his way through every Canadian team by the time hes done his career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad