Proposal: Boat Anchor Trade (MTL/LAK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
The Kings just couldnt agree to this. Quick still has positive value, and could net real assets in a deal. Phaneuf is awful, and Brown is questionable moving forward, but Weber and Price are absolute non starters.

PitchNHL

Jul 18, 2018
What a god awful trade for Montreal. There is not one player coming back our way that is superior.

Price >> Quick
Weber >>>>>>> Phaneuf (this one is beyond ridiculous)
Shaw = Brown (possibly the only debatable one)

If we trade away Price and Weber, we are getting quality pieces back. We may have to retain a little on each to optimize the return but we're talkig about all star players here.

Brown and Phaneuf are cap dumps, and Quick doesnt make us better in any way.
I hope you’re joking lol a tad biased ya think?

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
I hope you’re joking lol a tad biased ya think?

Not at all. If you can tell me with a straight face that Phaneuf is anywhere close to as good or valuable as Weber or that Quick is better than Price....then we cant even debate because you're out to lunch.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I actually think there is SOME merit to this proposal strangely. I notice you've retained on Price to make the salary cap hit to both team roughly equal for the next three seasons.

During the next three seasons, I think it's almost unquestionable that this favours the Kings. Price is equal to or slightly better on the ice than Quick. And Weber-Shaw is far more valuable than Phaneuf-Brown simply because Weber is by far the best player of the four. For the Kings being a win-now team, it'd have to be somewhat appealing to have a decent upgrade like this.

In the future is where the deal begins to show a benefit for the Habs. They are (or should be) a rebuilding team and having 15.7 million potentially tied up in two older players for the next 8 seasons is a scary thought. This move benefits them a lot for the future. In fact, I'd say Montreal would be best off flipping Quick and Brown (maybe with some rentention) for futures.

But it's going to be real hard for either team to pull the trigger on a trade like this. The Kings would be banking on Price being a good goalie for 8 more years or be stuck with that contract. Weber isn't as big of a worry since there's no way he keeps playing the last three years of that contract. Brown and Quick helped them win two Cups and often that makes it harder to trade them.

And Montreal would have to be selling the rebuild hard to be giving up their two best players for such a return and I just can't see them do it.

I appreciate the detail on your thought process here. Still would be a no for me, but at least this is a good explanation of it.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Not at all. If you can tell me with a straight face that Phaneuf is anywhere close to as good or valuable as Weber or that Quick is better than Price....then we cant even debate because you're out to lunch.

I would rather have Quick at $5.8M than Price at $10.5M.

NHL

Sep 1, 2014
Some people will hate this but:

Price : All-star player
Weber : All-star player
Quick : All-star player

Would Marc Bergevin make this trade with the reason this would help the team in 4 years? The answer is obvious. No way a GM give up two all-stars players for one... Especially when all these three players can still play great hockey for at least 4 years. I know the terms are not perfect for Price and Weber but... Jeez

Reactions: strongcomp05
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad