Bo "the hero Vancouver deserves" Horvat - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I am starting to really enjoy watching him, I am noticing him even tho he is only playing like 8 minutes a game.

I think this might be a player I might be wrong about, I always knew kassian would be nothing special, but I can actually see why people like Horvat so much.

His skating has improving immensely in such a short time, which is great to see.

He could be a legit 2nd liner one day.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I am starting to really enjoy watching him, I am noticing him even tho he is only playing like 8 minutes a game.

I think this might be a player I might be wrong about, I always knew kassian would be nothing special, but I can actually see why people like Horvat so much.

His skating has improving immensely in such a short time, which is great to see.

Great that you have finally changed your mind on him, but I think your derision of him has been so extensive that it makes an about face completely hollow to me... Post after post. Game after game. Even in your podcast I believe?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I wish more people would change their mind on him. Kid is going to be really good IMO. But, yeah... There wasn't sufficient evidence to be so negative on him. Not in isolation.

In comparison to another high end prospect (the Russian), sure, highlight the negatives. The margins are much smaller. But in isolation? Made no sense. All he's done is improve. Anyways, I guess this is progress in any event.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Great that you have finally changed your mind on him, but I think your derision of him has been so extensive that it makes an about face completely hollow to me... Post after post. Game after game. Even in your podcast I believe?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I wish more people would change their mind on him. Kid is going to be really good IMO. But, yeah... There wasn't sufficient evidence to be so negative on him. Not in isolation.

In comparison to another high end prospect (the Russian), sure, highlight the negatives. The margins are much smaller. But in isolation? Made no sense. All he's done is improve. Anyways, I guess this is progress in any event.

Face turn! :naughty:

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Nothing wrong about changing your mind based on new information

That's fine. Reassess after new information. However, I contest that the old information wasn't enough to condemn him in the first place. The point of origin was off, and it's what makes the 'about face' seem so drastic now.

LB's opinion on Horvat had to stretch light years to get here. Hopefully, his defence/promotion of Horvat is as fervent...

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
That's fine. Reassess after new information. However, I contest that the old information wasn't enough to condemn him in the first place. The point of origin was off, and it's what makes the 'about face' seem so drastic now.

LB's opinion on Horvat had to stretch light years to get here. Hopefully, his defence/promotion of Horvat is as fervent...

I need to go back to college, because I have no clue what fervent means :laugh:

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Horvat is Bergeron lite has always been capable of 2nd line role

The only issue I am seeing is he needs 300% better cardio and conditioning which is expected for his rookie season.

Once the kid is running on Formula 1 fuel he'll be able to really excel and get twice as many chances as he is now, and I can't imagine the kind of hits he's going to have

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
He's most likely never going to be a fast player, but his speed does seem much improved since even the beginning of the season.

Bieksa#3

Mar 2, 2007
Yea he doesn't have the non stop motor and will look quite gassed 20 into his shift at times.

I like his game and wished he was playing with more creative offensive players but understand the role the coaches want him to play. My only concern is that he's being coached into having no offensive creativity at all once in the offensive zone.

The 4th line plays an extremely simple game shift after shift in he O-zone that involves crashing the net. Wish Horvat would be given more free reign to be slightly more creative with the puck

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yea he doesn't have the non stop motor and will look quite gassed 20 into his shift at times.

I like his game and wished he was playing with more creative offensive players but understand the role the coaches want him to play. My only concern is that he's being coached into having no offensive creativity at all once in the offensive zone.

The 4th line plays an extremely simple game shift after shift in he O-zone that involves crashing the net. Wish Horvat would be given more free reign to be slightly more creative with the puck
That seems to be of his own design from day one if you ask me. That's not to say he doesn't have more creativity, but it seems like that's just how he's choosing to approach his first year rather than try to do too much right away, and the coaching staff is just playing him based on what he's showing

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

A legit 2nd liner one day? It's inevitable he becomes a second liner.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
He's starting to flash a little more confidence in the offensive zone which is finally exciting to see...

Makes you really excited to think where he'll be in a couple seasons... Nice toolbox already and a great IQ for the game... Just needs that offense to come along now.

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

Once he becomes acclimated to the speed of the game, the offense will come.

Players making the jump from junior to major will almost invariably perceive to have less space & time when they're in possession of the puck. Once their reads and hands adapt, they should be able to make more plays.

GrogZilla

Mar 31, 2013
He's most likely never going to be a fast player, but his speed does seem much improved since even the beginning of the season.

He finished 3rd of the 6 guys who competed in the Canucks fastest skater competition.
He was behind Hansen & Dorsett, but ahead of Matthias, Vey & Tanev.

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
He finished 3rd of the 6 guys who competed in the Canucks fastest skater competition.

Good point, and shows Horvat isn't as slow as I think his first impression still impacts people.

That said, if these are our fastest players it shows how far the Canucks are from the days of Pavel Bure and Cliff Ronning! Heck, Trevor Linden was a remarkably fast skater for a guy 6'4", he might have won the fastest skater competition if he could still lace them up!

DadBod

Sep 1, 2009
Coquitlam
Horvat's skating is no longer an issue. It needed work his draft year, but you can tell he's greatly improved since then.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

I have a hard team believing that he is actually faster than Matthias and Vey, but it's good to hear anyways.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
if i had to order those guys i would have said hansen > matthias > tanev = vey > dorsett = horvat, so i guess that's good news

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
The fastest skater competition doesn't mean much to me as I put more value in quickness off the line where its more important in closing gaps, getting to loose pucks, getting to open space, etc. Horvat has much improved in this from laster year so that is very promsing.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Is the bar for burning a year off RFA 39 team games or 39 games played by the player (in this case Horvat)? I've seen/heard it both ways and also took a quick look through the recent posts but couldn't find anything...also tried reading the CBA but got bored...

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Is the bar for burning a year off RFA 39 team games or 39 games played by the player (in this case Horvat)? I've seen/heard it both ways and also took a quick look through the recent posts but couldn't find anything...also tried reading the CBA but got bored...

Its games played by the player.

See Draisaitl with Edmonton. When he was sent back to juniors the Oils were already at game 40 or so but he had played less than 39 and RFA eligibility remained the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad