Player Discussion Bo Horvat

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
In all aspects, Horvat is the better choice. Much better on the ice, seems to have more leadership qualities. Other than experience in the league, I don't know how you go with anyone other than Bo.

He's still a very flawed player and I'd rather him focus on that than have this unnecessary magnification of everything he does on this awful team.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
bo does not seem like a vocal guy on the ice or in interviews. if leadership s not his natural forte then he needs more experience before he should put the c on.

this franchise has avoided overhyping bo horvat as a franchise leader in their marketing and they have also pursued a go slow development approach. it has worked very well so far, so i have no problem if it continues.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Honestly,

I don't have any links. Atleast right now. I swear on my mother that I've heard this before though. Might've been Team 1040. I'm tempted to say that Virtanen said something about Sutter, but I can't fully remember. Will definitely provide links if I come across any or hear a newsclip.

So it's fair to say you made it up or at least used a hyperbole and pretended it's a fact?

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
If anyone but Horvat gets the C there should be an uproar. If this goes to Sutter, Gudbranson, or Beagle.... :laugh:
It will be the greatest day in this managements atrocious history if BEAGLE gets the C. That would be way too good.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
If anyone but Horvat gets the C there should be an uproar. If this goes to Sutter, Gudbranson, or Beagle.... :laugh:

It shouldn't go to Beagle as he is new and doesn't have repoire with the lockerroom yet, but Sutter is clearly the right choice. Gudbranson would be 2nd.

Both guys are extroverted seasoned vets that can handle all of the media pressures.....especially during this time of a rebuild. Why burden Horvat and Boeser with all of that? Let them focus on hockey. Let Horvat become captain when he's 25/26. The Canucks will likely be on their upswing as a franchise around this time anyways. Let Horvat and Boeser wear A's.

Option#1:
C: Sutter
A: Horvat
A: Boeser

Option#2:
C: Gudbranson

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Horvat will be named Captain

Horvat getting it is equivlaent to how Linden had the C

Horvat wont out produce Pettersson / Boeser or outskill Hughes but he's the heart'n soul of the team and still still score 25-30
Linden didn't out produce Bure, Ronning or even G. Courtnall for a couple years 1991 - 1995 .. but he was the heart'n soul guy who could score 30 goals 4 or 5 years in a row at his peak.

These situations are pretty similar if you ask me.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It won't happen immediately. But supposing Pettersson and Gaudette morph into 1 and 1A centers for the Canucks? Where does that leave Horvat, who can't really play anywhere but center by the looks of it? Either as an overpaid third line center, or trade bait.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Man I hate Columbus for screwing up the 2016 draft.

If they just chose Pool Party, we'd have a sick 1-2 punch at center.
PLD
Horvat
Essentially two really good 2nd line centers

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It won't happen immediately. But supposing Pettersson and Gaudette morph into 1 and 1A centers for the Canucks? Where does that leave Horvat, who can't really play anywhere but center by the looks of it? Either as an overpaid third line center, or trade bait.
I mean, you can ask that about any good player, and the answer would be the same. It's a good problem to have.

In that situation, I might be tempted to just roll three dominant centers and occasionally load up with Pettersson on the wing during crunch time, though.

Horvat himself is more likely to turn into a 1A than Gaudette is, though, IMO.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I think Kadri is overrated as well, so nothing to contest there.

Can you link to your numbers? I would appreciate it.

The advanced stats you have used place him as a strong scorer, but how are you factoring defensive play into your analysis?

Last, with the list I have posted, he could fit into the 28-32 range. I'm just curious as to how you see his ranking. Care to put together a list?

From Corsica and a philly blog.
horvat.png

gar-chart-2.png

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Man I hate Columbus for screwing up the 2016 draft.

If they just chose Pool Party, we'd have a sick 1-2 punch at center.
PLD
Horvat
Essentially two really good 2nd line centers

No we would have a really good dman that doesn't fit where this team is and probably no Petterson, as we would have traded that pick... if you believe Friedmen.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
It shouldn't go to Beagle as he is new and doesn't have repoire with the lockerroom yet, but Sutter is clearly the right choice. Gudbranson would be 2nd.

Both guys are extroverted seasoned vets that can handle all of the media pressures.....especially during this time of a rebuild. Why burden Horvat and Boeser with all of that? Let them focus on hockey. Let Horvat become captain when he's 25/26. The Canucks will likely be on their upswing as a franchise around this time anyways. Let Horvat and Boeser wear A's.

Option#1:
C: Sutter

Option#2:
C: Gudbranson

Option #3:

Go with 4 A's
Horvat
Sutter
Tanev
Edler

Give Horvat the C next year if he is ready. Horvat and Boeser will have media pressures now matter what as they are our best players.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Option #3:

Go with 4 A's
Horvat
Sutter
Tanev
Edler

Give Horvat the C next year if he is ready. Horvat and Boeser will have media pressures now matter what as they are our best players.

I don’t mind the 4A’s idea but I think the media would target Horvat and Boeser more often if that happened.

I’d REALLY prefer if someone like Sutter or Gudbranson handled the tough media here as captains during this rebuild, while Horvat and Boeser focused more on developing their games and not dealing with the BS outside of the rink.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I can’t wait to hear captain Sutter/Gudbranson throw the kids under the bus when things get tough. Neither of these players have been through as much scrutiny as they will this year as the leaders of another truly terrible team and past comments they’ve made make me question that either would hold up as good “shields” for the kids to develop.

Reactions: pgj98m3

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The only veteran player I would assign the C to personally is Edler. He is the longest standing member of the team, he’s got the most experience in games that matter (Cup finals, Olympics, Worlds, etc) he loves Vancouver and he’s going to be relied on again for huge minutes this season.

If we don’t give the C to Horvat (which is what I would do), I would bestow it on Edler. Safe choice to keep the C warm for a bit until the kids are ready. A significantly better player than Gudbranson, and a significantly better claim to it than Sutter.

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
In my mind you need to have these traits:

• Be the embodiment of what the team stands for in terms of work ethic, heart, and soul. Vague, but you know what I mean. Nobody should ever question your work ethic on or off the ice.
• Be an excellent communicator and be able to represent the organization in a professional manner. Post-game press conferences, interviews, charity and team events, etc.
• Be respected among the players and have a presence in the locker room, which in my opinion unless you’re around the team, nobody on these boards can have an opinion on.

I don’t give a damn if you’re a good player or a 4th line grinder. For all we know Horvat is quiet as a mouse in the room and all the guys pick on him jokingly and don’t respect his opinions. Obviously that’s unlikely, but I’m just trying to prove a point.

Until someone meets those qualities I don’t feel the need to rush to appoint a captain. Give out As and share the duties until someone steps up and then reward the C.

Reactions: Nomobo
May 31, 2006
The only veteran player I would assign the C to personally is Edler. He is the longest standing member of the team, he’s got the most experience in games that matter (Cup finals, Olympics, Worlds, etc) he loves Vancouver and he’s going to be relied on again for huge minutes this season.

If we don’t give the C to Horvat (which is what I would do), I would bestow it on Edler. Safe choice to keep the C warm for a bit until the kids are ready. A significantly better player than Gudbranson, and a significantly better claim to it than Sutter.
Giving the C to Edler would be like giving the C to a hockey stick or a sofa or a lamp.

Reactions: Nomobo

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Not wanting to put extra pressure giving it to Horvat/Boeser is a somewhat reasonable concern (although if they're clearly the leader on the team, I think you should do it anyways), but if not them, I'd give it to Chris Tanev.

His soft-spoken-ness has been overstated. He's not a rah-rah/vocal guy, but he's really come out of his shell over the past few years, is clearly engaged and seems to want to take on responsibility, earnestly addresses the media with accountability, doesn't seem to be bothered by pressure, is at an age that transitions smoothly to Horvat or Boeser getting the C later on, and does not appear to have that ambition-free "everyone leave me alone and just let me comfortably and securely play hockey and slink into the background-- 'Well, it looks like the team doesn't stand a chance anymore, so **** it, let's just play badly for the rest of the year'" mentality that Edler seems to.

Tanev is arguably still our most important and effective player, is now a seasoned veteran with experience, significantly improves the games of everyone he's around (hell, the team in general), is leaned on HEAVILY, the team's cohesiveness is like night and day when he is or isn't in the lineup, sets the best example for younger players, builds good habits, and has arguably the best work ethic/consistency/reliability on the team. On top of that, his journey to the NHL is inspirational-- going undrafted and clawing his way into the league-- and adds perspective that can positively influence others.

Even his rare displays of offense have been clutch and often result in these huge explosions of emotion (probably some of my favorite moments through-out this crappy era).

He's deceptively a very suitable captain for the team that has gone completely under the radar, IMO (I suspect because people just lump him together with Edler). The only question-mark I can think of is health (or I suppose if they want to trade him), but personally, I don't think that's a deal-breaker-- if anything, it gives Horvat/Boeser some practice taking over the reigns when Tanev isn't in the lineup.

Sutter/Gudbranson would be a complete joke on so many levels-- if not in functional responsibilities, then to the team-- if not to the team, then in perception around the league-- if not in the perception around the league, then to the damn principle of deserved recognition/respect. The only other guy who isn't still really young/developing their game, who displays strong leadership qualities that I would want to rub off on others is Biega, and he doesn't have a large enough role on the team to justify it.

All that said, though, while Horvat's game can still use a lot of work (especially defensively), and I wouldn't want to put additional pressure on him to put the team on his back this early, Brock Boeser's game is already ridiculously and surprisingly polished and complete, and I don't think he's the type of personality who would struggle with the pressure. He acts and plays like a seasoned veteran already and doesn't seem to let anything get to him. You might want to just slap the C on him.

Last edited:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing

Horvat shouldn’t go anywhere. If Pettersson and Gaudette excel, move Pettersson to the wing (which is where I think he will be at his best anyways).

Baertschi-Horvat-Boeser
Dahlen-Gaudette-Pettersson

I still contend that EP won’t be a center in this league. His star will shine as a winger. Hopefully, the coaches don’t screw it up.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
As fans us trying to figure out who should wear the C like it matters is a bit stupid. Truth is the leader of the team will be the leader if they where a letter or not. None of us here know anything of the dynamics that are in the room, and who the players respond to.

Having said that trying to shield a player by not giving them the C is also stupid. The only way to shield them would be to not let the talk to media like we use to with Luongo. Otherwise the media will come to Brock and Bo if they have letters or not.

Honestly I would let the players decide.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I expect at least a 4 'A' Captain system..
At least, cuz they could go 3 at home-3 away (so 6 A Captains).. or 2 home 2 away. no captain this yr is the primary expectation..

I would guess..they would be Edler, Sutter, Horvat.... maybe ... Tanev.
.if goes to 6.. add Beagle and someone else.

I don't see Boeser as one yet.. at all even.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
From Corsica and a philly blog.

Much appreciated. Just curious, where do you have him ranked defensively?

I would very much enjoy the fact that Horvat is regarded as a top30 C by the numbers. He has the offense, but I'm wondering about the defense? If he factors into the top30 there, then great. (I have not done the deep dive into his numbers on Corsica just yet, but I will if you do not already have the research handy)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad