Player Discussion Bo Horvat

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I don't hate Bo. I'm sick of watching a team that doesn't stick up for eachother though and a coach that can't even acknowledge a dirty play.

But he DID acknowledge that it was a dirty play, and actually apologized to the media the next day for speaking about it before he even saw the replay. Once he actually saw what happened, he was pissed. Mind you, by that time it was way too late, but still -- let's get the facts right.

TropicalFruitGirl2

A Peachy Hockey Gal!
Feb 23, 2013
Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN
Fantastic game by Horvat against the Wings.
First career hat trick on the heels of his 100th career goal in NY?
Yep...I'd say all that helped put an exclamation point on a very successful road trip for his Canucks.

He is quickly becoming one of my favorite non homer players in the league.

Looks better and better every game the decision to make Horvat the captain.
Not flashy, not with a lot to say in the media, but just goes out and gets things done on the ice....and doesn't let frustration levels get to him even when he struggles.

Fine example of a still very young player showing maturity beyond his years.

Can't wait to see what he does against Washington and Florida next two games!

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
Horvat is the first successful Canucks draft pick that I followed as a prospect. Unfortunately I started following Canucks prospects around the Hodgson draft so it took a whole long 5 years. I'm sure there's a lot more fans in my age group that started following the prospects in the Gillis era. We're spoiled now though. It's amazing how he's been progressing every year.

Reactions: TropicalFruitGirl2

lawrence

May 19, 2012

A really hope we get to see some playoff bo over the rest of his career. He’s one of those guys built to be a playoff stud with all the goals he scores around the net.

I am hoping he will be the captain to lead us to the promised land. The core is set, it's only a matter of time.

Canuck16

that's curtains!
Apr 11, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
Plain and simple, Bo Horvat needs to step his game up. He has big shoes/skates to fill wearing the C in Vancouver. Linden, Naslund and Henrik were great to excellent captains and Bo Horvat is falling short in this regard.

Maybe the criticism is harsh because Horvat is playing at a 64 point pace which is a career best but in some of the games i've watched, i'm not noticing him on the ice as much and when he does get a chance, he's shooting the puck straight into goalies chest. During this tough stretch and current losing streak, he needs to be best Canuck or the last guy Canuck fans point the finger at...

I think it is fair to say that Horvat is not playing with the teams top talents but nonetheless, #53 needs to drive a line and step his individual game up.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Yeah he definitely needs to up his 5v5 production. But again I think it comes down to him having consistent quality linemates who work well with him. Hence why not having Baertschi stapled to his line is kinda strange...

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Did anyone not notice Bo go head first into the boards at the end of the game?

It was a super awkward fall.

A focused Bo Horvat does not fall that way.

He just doesn’t.

Something is up.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Did anyone not notice Bo go head first into the boards at the end of the game?

It was a super awkward fall.

A focused Bo Horvat does not fall that way.

He just doesn’t.

Something is up.
It wasn't just Horvat. Really wondering about the ice at Rogers Arena, because players were pulling pratfalls all over the ice. Can't remember a game where so many players on both sides basically wiped out while turning or stopping.

So something is up--with the ice-making equipment or the ice preparation.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
The excuses for Bo are bothering me. He is playing with NHL players has no 5 on 5 goals and his playmaking has been poor. He needs to drive a line. If he is only a complimentary piece than team is not going to have success. I think he is great person, but I would prefer a lesser person who showed he would cross a line in defense of team. He is the toughest guy on the team and no one in the league knows it. Give me Thachuk's attitude of always looking for a edge. It is unfair to Horvat but he is not a heart and soul guy to me. He is a everything is awesome guy.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Riding a 4 game point streak with 6 points in four of those games. Looks better than before but is still in dire need of a competent winger

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Riding a 4 game point streak with 6 points in four of those games. Looks better than before but is still in dire need of a competent winger
He was supposed to have Miller as his wingman this year with Ferland being the physical presence that people here wanted to protect Petey and open up space for him. First Ferland got sick so wasn't really ready to start the season and thus started off slowly. Got concussed and hasn't played since their California road trip almost a month ago.

None of those supposed wingers that JB brought in has done squat. Eriksson, Sven, Ferland, Jake. Either don't produce or don't have consistency to their game.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
He was supposed to have Miller as his wingman this year with Ferland being the physical presence that people here wanted to protect Petey and open up space for him. First Ferland got sick so wasn't really ready to start the season and thus started off slowly. Got concussed and hasn't played since their California road trip almost a month ago.

None of those supposed wingers that JB brought in has done squat. Eriksson, Sven, Ferland, Jake. Either don't produce or don't have consistency to their game.
Except for Miller, he's been a revelation.

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
I believe a *coughTkachukcough* is a mandatory statement when making comments like these.

But that may just be me.
This is also true, but I can't help but feel things would be a lot different if we drafted Tkachuk or Nylander, might not have Petey or Hughes today but its all speculation really. It would be nice if Ferland came back and played like a top-6.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
This is also true, but I can't help but feel things would be a lot different if we drafted Tkachuk or Nylander, might not have Petey or Hughes today but its all speculation really. It would be nice if Ferland came back and played like a top-6.

If Ferland could stay healthy and perform like a top 6 forward for the duration of his contract, I think most would agree it was a good signing by Benning. But that's not happening at this point.

And, for what it's worth, I don't buy into the "butterfly effect" thinking that drafting Tkachuk in 2016 means no Pettersson or Hughes in subsequent drafts. I've yet to see a reasonable argument that Tkachuk/Pettersson/Hughes is vastly more improbable than Juolevi/Pettersson/Hughes. I mean, without getting into the whole "drafting Juolevi was 4D chess that allowed us to get Pettersson and Hughes" thing.

Sidenote: 4D sounds like "forty" which is Pettersson's number. Weird eh?

Reactions: John Johnson

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
If Ferland could stay healthy and perform like a top 6 forward for the duration of his contract, I think most would agree it was a good signing by Benning. But that's not happening at this point.

And, for what it's worth, I don't buy into the "butterfly effect" thinking that drafting Tkachuk in 2016 means no Pettersson or Hughes in subsequent drafts. I've yet to see a reasonable argument that Tkachuk/Pettersson/Hughes is vastly more improbable than Juolevi/Pettersson/Hughes. I mean, without getting into the whole "drafting Juolevi was 4D chess that allowed us to get Pettersson and Hughes" thing.

Sidenote: 4D sounds like "forty" which is Pettersson's number. Weird eh?
Yeah I agree somewhat, all I think is maybe Tkachuk would've had a much quicker impact than Juolevi will have ever had, which might have led us to a slightly different spot in the standings but who really knows. They obviously flubbed the pick at the time, but Im still happy to have Petey and Hughes. Also "4D" sounds like 40 because Petey only sees in 4D.

Reactions: Szechwan

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Yeah I agree somewhat, all I think is maybe Tkachuk would've had a much quicker impact than Juolevi will have ever had, which might have led us to a slightly different spot in the standings but who really knows. They obviously flubbed the pick at the time, but Im still happy to have Petey and Hughes. Also "4D" sounds like 40 because Petey only sees in 4D.

Yep. I can agree with the general notion that drafting Tkachuk might have made drafting Pettersson and Hughes less likely. I just can't agree with the whole "it's either Tkachuk OR Pettersson/Hughes!1!"

Really, it's not unreasonable to think the Canucks could have all 3 players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad