Confirmed with Link: Bo Horvat is the new captain of your Vancouver Canucks

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
They announced the 4(Tanev, Edler, Sutter and Horvat) as this year's "leadership group", you would think the "leadership group" would also include the captain.

Eh. They did it with Hank and I thought it went alright. It would be pretty damn hard to get to “7th man” levels of bad, though.

Or naming Luongo the Captain, for that matter. Nothing against Luongo, he’s a fantastic player - but that turned into an unnecessary distraction.

they’re going to name the fans the new captain, i’m calling it now

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Eh. They did it with Hank and I thought it went alright. It would be pretty damn hard to get to “7th man” levels of bad, though.

Or naming Luongo the Captain, for that matter. Nothing against Luongo, he’s a fantastic player - but that turned into an unnecessary distraction.

I could be mistaken, but I think they had already announced that Henrik was getting the captaincy and didn't play it up like it was a stupid reveal.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
I could be mistaken, but I think they had already announced that Henrik was getting the captaincy and didn't play it up like it was a stupid reveal.

Seems like it was a surprise here but really hard to say?

Love

Feb 29, 2012
You can have 4 A's, they just can't all wear the "A" in the same game. The Canucks themselves have had 4 Alternate captains in the past, 2 that wore A's on the road and 2 that wore A's at home.

I agree it will be Horvat though. They announced the 4(Tanev, Edler, Sutter and Horvat) as this year's "leadership group", you would think the "leadership group" would also include the captain.

Ya agreed. Honestly it's just a weird tweet by the Canucks just name the f***ing captain and move on.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Just announce it or have Bo come out for the first skate of the season where they announce all the players, have him last and wearing the 'C'.

There doesn't have to be cringy pomp and circumstance over every little thing.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Oh okay. They're going to try to get as much money as they can out of this. I get it. Gotta sell that extra merch.... they're making way too much of a production about this, in typical Canucks fashion

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Oh okay. They're going to try to get as much money as they can out of this. I get it. Gotta sell that extra merch.... they're making way too much of a production about this, in typical Canucks fashion
Imagine that..Out of all the professional sports franchises in the world selling merchandise.. (its a business).., the Canucks are going to try and make as much money as they can?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

They didn’t - it was a “mystery” until the reveal itself. I believe they’d hinted they would have a new Captain, but they didn’t tip their hand it would be Henrik. There was a lot of talk it could have been Kesler, too.

When John Ashbridge said “Henrik Sedin, will you please join Orland at Center ice”, yeah, the jig was up.

Carl Carlson

Jan 7, 2009
Is naming our captain really that big a deal that we have to make a circus out of it? Just name the person. IMO its needless to wait two games to do a big reveal at home. As for the $ side of things, I'm sure the new captain will sell plenty of jerseys with the C on it regardless of when they announce it.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Lot of people here on the Horvat train.

Since I’m not personally in the locker rooms like some of you guys, what is it that makes this a slam dunk for Horvat as opposed to somebody like a Brandon Sutter?

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver

Since I’m not personally in the locker rooms like some of you guys, what is it that makes this a slam dunk for Horvat as opposed to somebody like a Brandon Sutter?

Dude works his ass off constantly to always improve, has always had a leadership presence in the locker room from what I've seen, is good friends with a lot of the players, head shape exudes leadership

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Dude works his ass off constantly to always improve, has always had a leadership presence in the locker room from what I've seen, is good friends with a lot of the players, head shape exudes leadership

Yes and more than one teammate has called him captain material.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

It's reading tea leaves at this point, but...

- All of the local reporters who are favourable to the Canucks have been posting articles extolling Horvat's captain-like qualities
- All of the other players have been asked if he's Captain material and have uniformly said yes
- Horvat himself has been asked about it repeatedly by the media and has said all the right things (it would be a great honour, etc)

None of that is specifically "over Sutter", but I think those are the biggest reasons it'll be him. Some more specific reasons would be 1) Horvat's never publicly criticized his teammates the way Sutter has, 2) He plays a bigger role with bigger minutes, 3) He's been part of this core for longer, and played more games within it (more durable) than Sutter has, 4) He's definitely a part of this core going forward given that he's locked up long term...

I'd be very, very surprised if it's not Horvat.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland

Brandon Sutter f***ing sucks and I believe that the team captain should be someone good at hockey.

Reactions: vancityluongo

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
For those on the Petey bandwagon if they give it to Bo then there’s no way they take it off him.

If it goes to one of the other A’s all come off the books in 2 years but then if they did that they are better off not naming a C.

ccjon

Jul 12, 2011

Not to mention Bo's own teammates refer to him as "Cap".

Reactions: bh53

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

well one would play on all 30 other nhl rosters whereas the other would clear waivers and if not for his last name would 100% be out of the nhl in two years

but yea, quantifying bo horvat's "leadership" is the only thing worth criticizing about this team

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Sutter even having an A is laughable.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
brian_sutter_2.jpg

darryl-sutter-of-the-chicago-black-hawks-turns-up-ice-against-the-picture-id510104476

brent-sutter-of-the-new-york-islanders-skates-against-the-toronto-picture-id958180224

5a97d5e275dcc87b55363101ffbb6cc5.jpg

brandon-sutter-of-the-red-deer-rebels-faces-off-against-the-kelowna-picture-id77856016

well i'll give braAndon this, he's the prettiest sutter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad