Confirmed with Link: Bo Horvat is the new captain of your Vancouver Canucks

CascadiaPuck

Proud Canucks investor.
Jan 13, 2010
Vancouver
After this much build up to the captaincy announcement, if the name they call out is "Sutter", there will be booing. Not commenting on whether I agree with that, but that 100% would happen.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Okay, I'll agree here. Carlyle in 1981 immediately comes to mind here. I just still don't get it. Potvin had a great year, was on the 1st place team, had a much better +/-. What does Carlyle have? 7 more points? I will say though, it was very close in voting. Carlyle had 120 points to Potvin's 113. You know, it could have been voter fatigue with Potvin too. He won three Norrises already, was in the middle of a dynasty and captained that team. Plus, there are players I just never feel like the media liked and it reflects their voting history. Pronger comes to mind as well as someone who was snarly with the media (for good reason) and because of that has a strangely less impressive Norris voting finish than you would think. Potvin did win it three times, but he was snubbed in 1981 and had some years in the 1980s where he got a surprisingly low vote count.

Subban is a weird case in 2013 because he had a shocking lack of competition in that shortened season. I know Ryan Suter is a guy many mention, but was he really robbed? He isn't a guy whose season stands out to me that he needed to win that. I think Letang wins it if he doesn't miss 25% of the season. Who knows what happens if Karlsson plays a full year too. So I think Subban was probably the right choice that year. Not a historically strong year by any means of course.

I guess Wilson is an alright choice in 1982? Hard to see who else deserved it. That one stands out in that era as a weaker year. Bourque was hurt a bit but still finished 2nd. Potvin missed a bit of time and Coffey just had his first explosive season but his defensive play at that time probably hurts him. No, I think 39 goals for a defenseman is hard to ignore for Wilson.

I actually don't mind Langway in 1983. This one makes more sense than 1984 as it was a stronger year (Potvin, Bourque, Coffey all could win it and had huge years). I get why he won it. He took the Capitals in a totally different direction defensively. That much can't be ignored. In fact I think he deserved finishing 2nd in the Hart in 1984. It was one of those unusual times when the defense and the fortunes of the team because of it overrode any lack of offensive contribution he made. I am fine with it to be honest.

It's reading tea leaves at this point, but...

- All of the local reporters who are favourable to the Canucks have been posting articles extolling Horvat's captain-like qualities
- All of the other players have been asked if he's Captain material and have uniformly said yes
- Horvat himself has been asked about it repeatedly by the media and has said all the right things (it would be a great honour, etc)

None of that is specifically "over Sutter", but I think those are the biggest reasons it'll be him. Some more specific reasons would be 1) Horvat's never publicly criticized his teammates the way Sutter has, 2) He plays a bigger role with bigger minutes, 3) He's been part of this core for longer, and played more games within it (more durable) than Sutter has, 4) He's definitely a part of this core going forward given that he's locked up long term...

I'd be very, very surprised if it's not Horvat.

It's so incredibly obviously going to Horvat and I can't believe there's even any speculation on this. It's been leaked every which way to Sunday.

RobsonStreet

Jun 4, 2004
Put me on record saying it’ll be Pettersson, mainly because I find it hard to believe they wouldn’t give him a letter at all.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
XmVId5R.png

cooked this up

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Absolutely boggles the mind that he would even think to put Leivo there to start the season.
As of practice today...Leivo is on Horvats line..Ferland is on the 3rd (still trying to get back up to playing weight after the virus he had).

I think Green was trying to have PP1 and PP2 be equal to each other (instead of loading up on PP1)..that was why Leivo was there.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
"Green is an NHL coach. If he has Ferland on the first line, and Leivo on PP1, he must know what he is doing."

"Well, actually, Pettersson needs someone skilled, and Ferland has been a failure in the top 6 with his past two teams. And Leivo on PP1 is . . . well, it's . . . it's just . . . it doesn't make sense."

"HFCanucks is a wretched hive of of scum and villainy."

"Well, actually, that is neither here nor there, we're simply analyzing what is going o . . ."

"Are you an NHL coach and GM? No, I didn't think so."

"Well, look at that, Ferland back to the 3rd line, and Leivo off of PP1. Now if we can only get Hughes onto PP1 to replace Edl . . ."

"You're toxic."

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Dude works his ass off constantly to always improve, has always had a leadership presence in the locker room from what I've seen, is good friends with a lot of the players, head shape exudes leadership

Thanks, I needed a laugh today.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->